Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

Vancouver seems to be the one major city on the North American continent lacking freeway connections. Coming up from Washington State highway 99 ends abrubtly approaching the city leaving streets like Granville and Cambie clogged. Going to the north shore Georgia St is clogged and the 3 lanes of the Lions Gate Bridge does not withstand the capacity of traffic. Downtown Vancouver does not have any direct highway links to to Canada Hwy 1. Although Vancouver has an excellent metro/subway system I wonder how vehicular traffic will sustain itself with future growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,748 times
The irony is that vehicular traffic isn't sustainable. If you build freeways, more people will start driving instead of using more sustainable transportation options. Eventually those freeways will fill up with cars until it reaches gridlock... and then what? Build more freeways to releave the already-congested freeways? That doesn't work. So building freeways isn't the answer - it just encourages more traffic, which introduces more congestion, pollution, gridlock, etc. In order to move away from that model, you can't be building freeways.

Freeways weren't built in Vancouver for a reason. Initially, back in the 60's and 70's, the construction of freeways were protested by locals because they'd be demolishing historic neighbourhoods to build those freeways - neighbourhoods like Chinatown and Commercial Drive. As a result of the massive protests, the city opted to never build freeways in the city of Vancouver proper. And because of that, Vancouver actually benefited. It's the city it is today because it lacks those very freeways.

And the reality is, if hypotheticallya freeway were to be built in Vancouver, what would they destroy to build it? It would simply divide up neighbourhoods and destroy the city's cohesiveness and livability. I doubt they'd start destroying neighbourhoods to build freeways. Most urban planners are recognizing this and realize that building freeways through cities was actually a mistake - it's no longer considered progressive.

As well, Vancouver's trying to be a green city, and its municipal government's been actively trying to prevent people from bringing cars into the city, as cities built for people (as opposed to cities built for cars) are typically more livable. Vancouver's model is trying to prevent vehicular traffic, not encourage it.

Last edited by Robynator; 04-01-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
I agree with Robynator. I'd hate if they start building freeways in Vancouver.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Fair enough, instead of slicing the city up with freeways at the very least build a spur freeway off Canada Hwy 1 to connect with downtown. Bring it down East Hastings, most people wouldn't miss that street.

As nice looking as the Lions Gate is, how about a new bridge?

Old 04-01-2010, 04:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Vancouver is a small city. Way too small to be putting any freeways through it, they aren't necessary. As Robynator explained, the whole idea is to discourage vehicular traffic through the downtown core, not to encourage it. Those of us who actually live here prefer it the way it is.

Lion's Gate bridge is a landmark, we like that too. Maybe some day a 3rd bridge might get built across the narrows but that would be a huge and costly enterprise, perhaps in the very distant future, if at all. At this point in time it's not necessary either.

There is more focus on new bridges being built further out in the valley where they are needed, where there is much, much more traffic. Two new, large bridges have just been completed in the last year, the Pitt River bridge and the Golden Ears bridge and the next 2 bridges presently in the schedule of being expanded now are the Port Mann and the Pattullo.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Vancouver is a small city. Way too small to be putting any freeways through it, they aren't necessary. As Robynator explained, the whole idea is to discourage vehicular traffic through the downtown core, not to encourage it. Those of us who actually live here prefer it the way it is.

Lion's Gate bridge is a landmark, we like that too. Maybe some day a 3rd bridge might get built across the narrows but that would be a huge and costly enterprise, perhaps in the very distant future, if at all. At this point in time it's not necessary either.

There is more focus on new bridges being built further out in the valley where they are needed, where there is much, much more traffic. Two new, large bridges have just been completed in the last year, the Pitt River bridge and the Golden Ears bridge and the next 2 bridges presently in the schedule of being expanded now are the Port Mann and the Pattullo.

Fair enough...

Has there been a lot of development along Hwy 1 going out towards Abbotsford?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Are you asking about highways development, or urban / agricultural & land development?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Are you asking about highways development, or urban / agricultural & land development?

all of the above, I'm all ears. I like BC, and I learned something tonight from these posts that Vancouver doesn't need or want freeways and they have other things in mind. More power too them! I'm glad I opened this thread and what I lean here on CD. I've driven in Vancouver with frustration on being stuck in traffic on Georgia St heading for the bridge; however I suppose building new freeways is very 20th century and introducing other ways of mobility is 21st century. Vancouver is a young and modern city, yet ahead of the curve on some aspects. But I changed my mind (imagine that) and see Vancouver's point of view. With the city recently showcased to the world in the Olympics, it makes me wonder what Vancouver andthe BC lower mainland will evolve into.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-01-2010 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times
The Freeway (Hwy 1) does run through the eastern Vancouver suburbs but not in the city proper (except for a short stretch)...just not directly from the US border or thru the downtown. Most suburbanites in the areas around Vancouver travel on freeway just like other places.

I must say the freeway for what it is, is simplistic especially compared to US Interstates or even the freeways in Toronto/ Southern ON.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,026 times
Good for the Vancouverites! Freeways is the culprit of more than half a dozen urban problems: pollution, noise, congestion, urban sprawl, energy waste, not to mention they are usually hideous even to look at.
I would very much want the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto to be 100% demolished asap.
A great city is built for people to live and walk, not for cars to wander about or pass by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver