Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Bacon -- by itself, mixed with chocolate or any other concoction -- is still a force with which to be reckoned in the foodie world, but specialty foodmakers are betting their spin on healthier products such as kale, chia seeds and seaweed will take grocery stores by storm in the next year.

Read more: Fancy Food Show features kale, chia seeds among top food trends - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
I personally think that this bacon fad is disgusting and being financed by the pork industry. I can barely watch a food show without seeing someone ruin a dish - from vegetables to a cup cake with bacon. Yuk.

I'd agree that Kale is trending. I use it about once a week. My kids are crazy about Kale chips - oven baked. Interesting link!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Has anyone here tried those bacon chocolate bars? And does anyone remember that instant in time when Burger King was offering bacon sundaes? Kale pops sound even worse if you ask me! My optometrist wants me to eat it to prevent macular degeneration, but I prefer to feed it to my hermit crabs -- they are crazy about the stuff. I haven't found too many good ways to eat it.

Now, seaweed? Bring on the California rolls!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Has anyone here tried those bacon chocolate bars? And does anyone remember that instant in time when Burger King was offering bacon sundaes? Kale pops sound even worse if you ask me! My optometrist wants me to eat it to prevent macular degeneration, but I prefer to feed it to my hermit crabs -- they are crazy about the stuff. I haven't found too many good ways to eat it.

Now, seaweed? Bring on the California rolls!
Cliffie - do you have a Costco by you? At our Costco (and probably at most of the stores) they sell, in the walk-in fridge, the most delightful kale salad mix....the dressing is supposed to be divine (although I eat it plain)....it comes with a package of pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and dressing....there is shredded kale, shredded brussels sprouts and other shredded/sliced greens. I add shredded purple cabbage, fresh pineapple bits, thinly sliced purple onions, garbanzo beans or edamame ....I also add feta cheese since we eat feta cheese now and it is very tasty in the salad. Seriously this is a totally addictive salad. My husband, who isn't the biggest salad eater in the world, begs for this salad twice a week. We eat it as a main course. Wonderful way to get your kale!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
For me, kale belongs in salads, or steamed or stir-fried, not liquified in drinks. Just like bacon belongs on plates, not in cupcakes. I think the whole "kale juice" and "bacon cupcake" trend is an anti-snob snobbism - the notion that you should be as outrageous and ridiculous in your food choices, so as to snub the "ordinary" people who enjoy food for its taste, rather than for how it can make you look like a special snowflake.

Sorta like Cattknap's perfectly delicious-sounding mix of greens and other veggies and feta cheese, in a salad dish, as an absolutely marvelous-sounding vegetarian lunch entree...

but instead, toss it in a blender with a cup of ice and hit the pulverize button, and tell everyone it's all the rage.

BLECH. Times 72, wrapped in a pink ribbon.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
For me, kale belongs in salads, or steamed or stir-fried, not liquified in drinks. Just like bacon belongs on plates, not in cupcakes. I think the whole "kale juice" and "bacon cupcake" trend is an anti-snob snobbism - the notion that you should be as outrageous and ridiculous in your food choices, so as to snub the "ordinary" people who enjoy food for its taste, rather than for how it can make you look like a special snowflake.

Sorta like Cattknap's perfectly delicious-sounding mix of greens and other veggies and feta cheese, in a salad dish, as an absolutely marvelous-sounding vegetarian lunch entree...

but instead, toss it in a blender with a cup of ice and hit the pulverize button, and tell everyone it's all the rage.

BLECH. Times 72, wrapped in a pink ribbon.
LOL - come on now AC, how do you really feel about blended kale . We do prefer kale in salads...although we blend it in a smoothie - but have to really watch the quantity we use because the kale taste will overpower everything else - so we use a small amount and add other things like dandelion greens, celery, etc.. In a smoothie kale and raspberries are a nice combo....all the kale products coming out now are amusing....processed in so many different ways I guess because kale is so nutritious and desirable but really not all that delicious plain. Just shred a little kale in your regular salad and eat it raw and natural instead of eating a kale pop or a dried kale chip or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food