Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And people wonder why vegans/vegetarians are so defensive
So you don't want peaceful coexistence?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So you don't want peaceful coexistence?
The poster I was replying to said they enjoyed teasing someone who doesn't eat meat (saying meat is sooooo yummy). This is something that vegan/vegetarian folks have to deal with alllllllll the time. The being teased, taunted, and ridiculed gets old and would put anyone on the defense.

Meat eaters often act like they are the victim of vegan shaming, but I can guarantee that every vegan has had to listen to "but baaaaacooonnnn" at least 10 times more often than any meat eater has been "harassed".

Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
The poster I was replying to said they enjoyed teasing someone who doesn't eat meat (saying meat is sooooo yummy). This is something that vegan/vegetarian folks have to deal with alllllllll the time. The being teased, taunted, and ridiculed gets old and would put anyone on the defense.

Meat eaters often act like they are the victim of vegan shaming, but I can guarantee that every vegan has had to listen to "but baaaaacooonnnn" at least 10 times more often than any meat eater has been "harassed".

Worse.... he was mocking their religion.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-09-2017, 04:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:

There is always going to be the random jerks. Do you plan on raging against all meat eaters forever?

Old 11-09-2017, 04:27 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
There is always going to be the random jerks. Do you plan on raging against all meat eaters forever?
That's a strange questions on a thread raging against vegans. I mean, I'm not vegan, but your comment seems very out of place.

If this were a BBQ thread I could see your point, but it's not. Meat eaters are coming to a thread about vegans, vegans aren't going to meat thread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-09-2017, 04:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's a strange questions on a thread raging against vegans. I mean, I'm not vegan, but your comment seems very out of place.

If this were a BBQ thread I could see your point, but it's not. Meat eaters are coming to a thread about vegans, vegans aren't going to meat thread.
The topic title seems to invite responses from non vegans, So my take as a non vegan is the almost cultlike attitude vegans seem to preach, guaranteed if you get in a conversation with a vegan within 5 minutes the topic of conversation will be all about food and their vegan lifestyle.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Made my mom watch " What the health". The movie talks about the dangers of eating animal products. Short term and long. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis. even with out the health issues the toll on the earth is unimaginable. I like this movie because it breaks it down with the facts, doctors, nutritionist and people who were actually going through these diseases. I work at a grocery store and I see people spend $100 or more on junk food and call it " necessity". And sometimes Ill ask " Where are the fruits and vegetables?" or " Wheres the real food?, this stuffs bad for you!". Deep down they know its bad but people do it ANYWAY! one lady even replied " Well.. I'm gonna die someday" as if that justifies living on junk 24 hours a day. The truth is people want to be lied to. They don't want someone telling them that they're favorite food could lead to an untimely death. After my mom saw the documentary she buys a fryer ( to fry foods) a week later. And its just proof that most are so brainwashed by the media so much that even when the truth is revealed they won't accept it. How can we change the world if the world doesn't want to be changed?
The Truth is, People don't want to be told, "what to do, or how to live their lives, or what they should be eating".

I understand, with great respect, all about being a vegan and eating clean, however, it's like anything else in life, once people find something that really works for them, they "think" that everyone else needs to be doing the same thing. WRONG!

What you do and eat is your business, if you enjoy it fine...but leave others alone, to make their own choices....

Like you said in your first sentence, "Made my mom watch". Made her?????? So unfair.

people know that smoking is bad for you, however, people not only do it, but tons of people who smoked didn't die of cancer, or died when they were in their 70's or 80's and then people point fingers and say, "SEE, they smoked". Good God?

Not everyone can live to be 107 years old. My pop pop, smoked a pipe, made his own wine, and drank one small shot glass every night before retiring, and they cooked with bacon grease, Lard, and all kinds of stuff that was deemed bad for human consumption. He lived to be 107 years old, and my mom, his daughter lived to be 92 years old....

It's great that you do this...honestly....but please don't expect others to do the same.

And yes, people are brainwashed....on many levels, but just b/c you believe in a thing, doesn't make it right for everyone....

People that live in the colds of Alaska, actually eat seal, moose and other animal fats to help them keep warm in the winter. Did you know that?

It's not the animals that are bad, it's all the horrible stuff they feed and inject animals with that are causing problems.

and honestly, all the things they dump in the ocean, doesn't help our fish supply....

I'm in agreement as far as the health benefits, and such....it all makes sense, but I'm just not ready to give up meat. I love fish, but am allergic to shell fish. (darn) and farm raised fish, well after hearing what they feed tilapia, really turned me off, and I ate a lot of it. Human beings have and are still destroying our food supply.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Again, you are completely missing the point. The poster I was replying to was teasing someone for not eating meat, which is what vegans/vegetarians have to deal with all the time. ALL the time. No one is "raging" against anyone. Just merely pointing out that because vegans/vegetarians have to listen to that nonsense so often, it is no wonder so many get defensive.

It's not always so random, either. Many of us have shared stories about "that friend" who always insists on making a comment EVERY.SINGLE.TIME about how great bacon is, etc. It happens so often, it's ridiculous.

If anyone is "raging" on this thread, it appears to me to me the omnivores

Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Made my mom watch " What the health". The movie talks about the dangers of eating animal products. Short term and long. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis. even with out the health issues the toll on the earth is unimaginable. I like this movie because it breaks it down with the facts, doctors, nutritionist and people who were actually going through these diseases. I work at a grocery store and I see people spend $100 or more on junk food and call it " necessity". And sometimes Ill ask " Where are the fruits and vegetables?" or " Wheres the real food?, this stuffs bad for you!". Deep down they know its bad but people do it ANYWAY! one lady even replied " Well.. I'm gonna die someday" as if that justifies living on junk 24 hours a day. The truth is people want to be lied to. They don't want someone telling them that they're favorite food could lead to an untimely death. After my mom saw the documentary she buys a fryer ( to fry foods) a week later. And its just proof that most are so brainwashed by the media so much that even when the truth is revealed they won't accept it. How can we change the world if the world doesn't want to be changed?
I'm not 'against it' so much as I dislike the way its acolytes shove it down my throat 24/7.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The topic title seems to invite responses from non vegans, So my take as a non vegan is the almost cultlike attitude vegans seem to preach, guaranteed if you get in a conversation with a vegan within 5 minutes the topic of conversation will be all about food and their vegan lifestyle.
Nope.

Many vegans do their best to NOT talk about their way of eating and lifestyle. Many avoid even using the word "vegan" and say "plant based" instead to avoid being interrogated about it.

In a specific discussion about it, I am happy to tell you about it, but in general? Nope.

Vegans tend to be VERY passionate about their lifestyle and food choices, though, so it makes sense that they would enjoy talking about it. I think everyone loves to talk about what they are passionate about in life. Unfortunately, society tends to look down on vegans so many of us keep it to ourselves to avoid being ridiculed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food