Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
We have prepared food specifically for a vegan guest invited to our home. I have never really had a discussion about diet with either a vegan or vegetarian. What made me look at this thread is the OP's thread title. I believe in live and let live in your choice of life style. I know that in the 19th, 20th and this little bit of the 21st century the options for vegans/vegetarians are/were enough to live the lifestyle. My question is, do you think you could have survived on this diet during the frontier days or as a native American of the times or in Mesoamerica or if you had to live off the land today?
Maybe, maybe not. But that's pointless now as we have a great abundance of fresh produce , grains, legumes, nuts and seeds available at all times. People ate animals once out of necessity. They eat them or die. We no longer need to eat aminals.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:31 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But that's pointless now as we have a great abundance of fresh produce , grains, legumes, nuts and seeds available at all times. People ate animals once out of necessity. They eat them or die. We no longer need to eat aminals.
I'm pro choice and I still choose to. I would never decide to not eat fish or seafood either. Like I said, I believe in live and let live in your choice of life style.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:53 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
I'm pro choice and I still choose to. I would never decide to not eat fish or seafood either. Like I said, I believe in live and let live in your choice of life style.
Eating animals is no longer necessary to survive. Your choice yo do so has nothing to do with it

Old 07-14-2018, 05:43 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I keep hearing this argument that people don't have anything against vegans or veganism, so long as they keep their traps shut and don't 'enforce' their views on others.

I find that a rather interesting argument coming from meat eaters, considering that they themselves enforce their views on the general public every single day. I can sit at home and watch TV, and in the space of a few minutes of commercial time, I can see an advertisement for closeups of some fast food restaurant burgers being grilled, fried chicken, grilled steaks, cheese, etc. How is that not propagating a lifestyle choice?

And the most judgmental people on this forum are not vegans, but those against vegans. Every chance they get they create a thread mocking and baiting vegans. And these people always pick the most extreme examples of vegan activists to suit their agendas, and never moderate vegans who don't go around with bullhorns protesting in front of Burger King.

So it's ok for the meat eating anti-vegans to mock, generalize, stereotype, and insult vegans, yet it's not ok for vegans to say that they have no desire to eat meat?

And what really gets stuck in my craw are some meat eaters that whine and moan about how other countries eat dogs or whales. Demonize other countries for eating other forms of meat, yet merrily stuff your faces with steak, chicken, and pork that were brutally tortured and killed in mass meat factories?

Unlike some vegans, I don't have anything against eating animals in general so long as the animal is killed quickly and humanely and never for sport. It's too bad though the meat eaters out there care little for the welfare of the animals that are cruelly treated and dispatched for the sake of their insatiable hunger for meat.

I suspect that the reason why some meat eaters are so full of hatred towards all vegans is because there is some guilt that they realize the meat they eat came from inhumane meat factories, and in order to assuage this guilt, instead of making humane choices in life, they'd rather instead turn that guilt and anger towards vegans.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:14 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I keep hearing this argument that people don't have anything against vegans or veganism, so long as they keep their traps shut and don't 'enforce' their views on others.

I find that a rather interesting argument coming from meat eaters, considering that they themselves enforce their views on the general public every single day. I can sit at home and watch TV, and in the space of a few minutes of commercial time, I can see an advertisement for closeups of some fast food restaurant burgers being grilled, fried chicken, grilled steaks, cheese, etc. How is that not propagating a lifestyle choice?

And the most judgmental people on this forum are not vegans, but those against vegans. Every chance they get they create a thread mocking and baiting vegans. And these people always pick the most extreme examples of vegan activists to suit their agendas, and never moderate vegans who don't go around with bullhorns protesting in front of Burger King.

So it's ok for the meat eating anti-vegans to mock, generalize, stereotype, and insult vegans, yet it's not ok for vegans to say that they have no desire to eat meat?

And what really gets stuck in my craw are some meat eaters that whine and moan about how other countries eat dogs or whales. Demonize other countries for eating other forms of meat, yet merrily stuff your faces with steak, chicken, and pork that were brutally tortured and killed in mass meat factories?

Unlike some vegans, I don't have anything against eating animals in general so long as the animal is killed quickly and humanely and never for sport. It's too bad though the meat eaters out there care little for the welfare of the animals that are cruelly treated and dispatched for the sake of their insatiable hunger for meat.

I suspect that the reason why some meat eaters are so full of hatred towards all vegans is because there is some guilt that they realize the meat they eat came from inhumane meat factories, and in order to assuage this guilt, instead of making humane choices in life, they'd rather instead turn that guilt and anger towards vegans.
I only hate Herbalife fanatics. I have no hate for anyone as a vegetarian/vegan. Why do you insist that omnivores feel guilty about what they eat? Seems like you are trying to justify your own choice by creating a false idea that we have a guilt complex. I'm an underwater hunter, enjoy the sport and the fact that I get fresh fish and lobster for my table. I also used to be a Hunter Safety Instructor for the state of Florida.

Last edited by Dogboa; 07-15-2018 at 03:22 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 03:34 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Because cow tastes so good. Especially cooked over an open fire.

You see, your question is wrong on it's face. People aren't against veganism. Who's stopping you? The real question is why are you against others eating what they like?
Excellent post. The OP is confusing the overconsumption of meats with demonizing meat itself. Meat doesn’t “kill you” it’s the overconsumption of it that increases the risk to different diseases.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Nope. But anyone who constantly nags you about anything is rude. I mean yes for me I do have guilt. I know that animals do not deserve to suffer the way they do, but my way is to make farming more humane. They live in misery before they die due to greed.

It's rude to be in my face with it all the time, yes. I don't see how advertising counts as that. That is the meat sellers, not the meat eaters.

Anyway I eat less meat since knowing more but I personally cannot do a Vegan diet. The closest I could come would include dairy, but see some Vegan is going to tell me nonsense about dairy now as a reason why I shouldn't drink it, even if it didn't hurt the moo moos, which is another thing I don't like.

If I said my milk comes from cows we raise ourselves and they are not harmed, they will say I am a liar. I wasted a lot of time convincing a Vegan that the chickens we raised as pets and their eggs was somehow cruel in a way I didn't know about until she came along. Nope, she was wrong about every assertion. Twisted my words about everything.

Those chickens were pampered. They had the BEST life a chicken could have. Those eggs were probably more cruelty-free than a lot of factors that go into making Vegan food are.

I don't get onto people in other countries. In fact I was dis-invited from a dog group for saying so. Cows and pigs want to live as much as dogs. No hypocrisy here.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
I only hate Herbalife fanatics. I have no hate for anyone as a vegetarian/vegan. Why do you insist that omnivores feel guilty about what they eat? Seems like you are trying to justify your own choice by creating a false idea that we have a guilt complex. I'm an underwater hunter, enjoy the sport and the fact that I get fresh fish and lobster for my table. I also used to be a Hunter Safety Instructor for the state of Florida.
We aren't insisting you feel guilty. The more interesting question is, why would a meat-eater come to a vegan forum to talk about how vegans insist omnivores feel guilty about anything? Seems to me you are seeking us out to harass us.

We aren't in any meat-lover forums harassing you. You are here. I think that's key here. If you don't want to argue with vegans, don't come to the vegan forum. Sorry, but....duh.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
My question is, do you think you could have survived on this diet during the frontier days or as a native American of the times or in Mesoamerica or if you had to live off the land today?
Why not? There were a lot more plants than there were easily caught animals.

Ever heard of the three sisters? Corn, squash and beans. Those could be counted on more readily than meat.

They weren't called hunter - gatherers for nothing.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why not? There were a lot more plants than there were easily caught animals.

Ever heard of the three sisters? Corn, squash and beans. Those could be counted on more readily than meat.

They weren't called hunter - gatherers for nothing.
and depending on the region, they would starve if they found nothing to hunt, or were unsuccessful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food