Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would enjoy being a vegetarian?
Yes 41 51.90%
No 40 50.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,334 times

Advertisements

Bean burritos tonight - they were great!
No meat, no problem...

What did you have for dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 AM

8,813 posts, read 10,281,544 times
As much as I love animals, I cant be a vegeterian. I've grown up eating meat, and chsnging to veggies would make me go crazy.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,929,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I should have clarified. By "listen to your body", I don't mean "eat all the chocolate cake you can get your hands on".
Ah, man, I really want to, though! That is definitely one part of the "When I'm an old woman" poem that I'm going to take to heart! My husband use to think it was wierd that I would have strawberry shortcake for breakfast, but it has much less sugar than cereal (just a Tbsp in the biscuit and whatever you need to sweeten the strawberries, which could be none).

Old 08-23-2008, 12:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,929,937 times
Last night for dinner:

I have been feeling lazy lately--last night we had egg burritos and American fries. They were roasting chili peppers at the farmers' market today, so we are going to have green chili enchiladas for dinner tonight. Yum! I also have some jalepeno peppers to use up, so I may make poppers as well.

We have been way to heavy into the dairy this last week. Tonight will be, too. Tomorrow, though, I will make a "garden dinner" with goodies from the farmers' market (our garden went kaput this year): corn on the cob, baby potatoes, cucumbers, beets, and some homemade rolls. Garden dinners are my husband's favorite. It was new to him when we married, but I grew up on them.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,491,289 times
Dinner last night: a bottle of Kona Brew Wailua wheat/passion fruit ale, crackers with vegan cheese (topped by chopped, sun-dried tomatores and pickle relish). I was watching the Olympic diving competition - didn't cook!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,334 times
Does anyone watch the Travelling Vegetarian? I found Yvonne's web site and youtube links. It looks like a great show and the restaurants they visit look tasty.

Got lazy and had Boca burgers and rice tonight...

Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM

112 posts, read 352,909 times
I am just wondering about a few things. I have an allergy to grass and trees, so how would being a vegetarian affect me? Personally, I do eat some meat and have noticed that red meat does not always agree with me and neither does cows milk(grass probably?). I am not keen on cooked vegetables at all (texture - blah), but will eat them raw - sometimes they do not agree with me either, and I do love fruit. This is just something that has been on my mind lately - silly as it may seem!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,677,688 times
I'd like to be a pastafarian but carbs are the enemy.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,206,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Does anyone watch the Travelling Vegetarian? I found Yvonne's web site and youtube links. It looks like a great show and the restaurants they visit look tasty ...
Wow, thanks for this information!

Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,278,345 times
I could never be a vegetarian as I hate most vegetables. They taste and smell gross to me. And most vegetables I've tried they've either made me gag (corn) or I had to spit them out because they taste bad.

I like tomato sauces (though not tomatoes), potatoes just about anyway you can make them, black eyed peas, some beans (great northern, pintos in chili, refried beans, kidneys and white beans in soup or chili), and carrots in stew or soup (they have to be soft and taste like the broth they're in). That's it.

I've tried corn (gag), green beans (yuck), lettuce, tomatoes, squash, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, etc. Hated them all.

I like meat, but I'm not a big meat eater. My husband has to have meat at every meal. Usually after a few bites of meat, I've had enough. I love carbs and grains. Pasta, bread, rice, cereal. I could eat pasta several times a week while either only taking a few bites of the meat that's in the sauce or not eating the meat at all.

Chicken is my favorite meat, but I only eat it once or twice a week. My husband prefers beef. I eat that once or twice a week also. Usually just a few bites though, as I said earlier.

Anyway, boring post over. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food