Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would enjoy being a vegetarian?
Yes 41 51.90%
No 40 50.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,880,397 times

Advertisements

I don't eat very much meat anymore, but I do eat alot of seafood and a bit of chicken still. If I really had to, I'd give up chicken but not the seafood. So I don't think I would enjoy being a strict vegetarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 2 days ago)

52,783 posts, read 48,176,967 times
It wouldn't matter what diet I try to be on, because there's no way I could make it three days without meat. I like vegetables, but I would never be a vegetarian. There's a wide array of meats out there for me to choose from, and I could never make it on vegetables alone. As a single guy, my cravings for certain things just never go away.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,935,466 times
My MIL's husband never liked vegetables, until I started cooking for them. He still is a dedicated meat eater (he sneaks out for a burger when I'm visiting). The thing is, he has always eaten over-cooked vegetables on the side. This isn't how a vegetarian eats! He was amazed at the food I cooked, because he couldn't fathom of cooking/eating vegetables other than what he had grown up eating (sorry to say, my MIL isn't much of cook, which is why I cook when I go there. Actually, I also do the grocery shopping. She use to feel bad, but I assured her this is how everyone wants it--especially her and I!)

I combine grains (rice, quinoa, and bulgur being the most used in our house) with a variety of vegetables, herbs, spices, sauces, and sometimes eggs or cheese. I roast, bake, saute, pan-cook my dishes. When people ask me what we eat, I really don't know how to reply because I cook so many things so many ways (it helps that I like to cook). Lately I have made Melon Soup and Zuchinni Risotto; homemade pizza; Black Bean Pie and a Salad; Homemade Baked Beans, Roasted Squash Slices, and Biscuits; a pressed sandwich with roasted eggplant, summer squash, zuchinni, red pepper, with tapenade and pesto and Buffalo Mozz.; Mediterranean Quinoa; Southwestern Toubli; Cheese Blintzes.

Sorry, I just felt like I had to stand up for the stereotype of vegetarian eating. We all eat differently, but I can guarantee you that no one only eats a side of cooked peas with raw carrot sticks.... we like a little tooth to our food too!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,498,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
When people ask me what we eat, I really don't know how to reply because I cook so many things so many ways (it helps that I like to cook). Lately I have made Melon Soup and Zuchinni Risotto; homemade pizza; Black Bean Pie and a Salad; Homemade Baked Beans, Roasted Squash Slices, and Biscuits; a pressed sandwich with roasted eggplant, summer squash, zuchinni, red pepper, with tapenade and pesto and Buffalo Mozz.; Mediterranean Quinoa; Southwestern Toubli; Cheese Blintzes.

Sorry, I just felt like I had to stand up for the stereotype of vegetarian eating. We all eat differently, but I can guarantee you that no one only eats a side of cooked peas with raw carrot sticks.... we like a little tooth to our food too!
Amen, sister! I've been asked that too, and all I could come up with was "food!" The possibilities and variety are endless...maybe one day there'll be a chain of vegetarian drive-throughs so the concept won't seem so foreign to people who think it's weird or strange.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 AM

947 posts, read 3,416,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Amen, sister! I've been asked that too, and all I could come up with was "food!" The possibilities and variety are endless...maybe one day there'll be a chain of vegetarian drive-throughs so the concept won't seem so foreign to people who think it's weird or strange.

Right On!!!!!!!

"we" are not soooo weird are we??!! We just don't don't eat what main stream America does and so we are not doing what "society" is.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,547,003 times
Sorry, but vegetarianism went mainstream - just not dominant - a LONG time ago. No, you're not even a little bit weird - just one of the myriad of possible dietary choices out there available to us.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,860,632 times
I'm working to be vegan but I will compromise when I eat out if butter was used in cooking or an animal-based broth flavored a soup or something. I try to avoid dairy as much as possible because I feel icky when I eat it. I gave up eggs and meat and chicken and fish because I just don't like those foods very much, especially if I see them being prepared...my entire life the only way I could eat those things is if they were well-disguised, so I finally decided to just avoid them completely. I feel healthier this way, even though it is rather inconvenient to be vegan in Texas!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,935,466 times
Topaz--I wish I could go dairy free too, but I am so wrapped up in it, I don't think I could. I do try to cut down on it, though.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Topaz--I wish I could go dairy free too, but I am so wrapped up in it, I don't think I could. I do try to cut down on it, though.
I never in a million years thought I could go dairy free until I did it as an experiment and I felt SO MUCH BETTER, it was amazing. A physician told me ten years ago I should give up dairy and now I wish I had listened to him then.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,498,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sorry, but vegetarianism went mainstream - just not dominant - a LONG time ago. No, you're not even a little bit weird - just one of the myriad of possible dietary choices out there available to us.
Why are you sorry...this is absolutely true! There are vegan and vegetarian organizations that are over a 100 years old (if'n my dates are correct). It's a logical, sensible way to live, IMO.

My comments about being perceived as "strange", are based upon inevitable comments and prejudices. I can repeat all the very corny, not to mention completely original (got that from another poster!) jokes, but we've all heard them.

If not eating meat or animal based products was truly accepted, we wouldn't need a sub-forum, and the whole subject would be moot.

Anyway, what I really want is to be a pastafarian! LMAO, zonababe~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food