Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM

642 posts, read 2,556,173 times

Advertisements

Do you see much more in the way of jobs coming? I remember there was not a lot of jobs aside from customer service. I really enjoy it there but my kids would need to find employment during and especially after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,375,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo1729 View Post
I am a high school teacher in Oxnard. I can tell you that there is definitely a demand for teachers. We are building two new schools in the district. With all the new housing and the incoming residents, there will definitely be a demand over the next decade or so (there's only so much land left to develop, unless we remove more of the fields). If you are in the professional or tech sector, there isn't much for you. there are one or two employers in town and commuting to downtown LA everyday will take you about 2 hours each way (train or car).

As for crime, I have lived here my entire life. I lived in South Oxnard and then moved to the northside. I work on the southside. I can confirm the farther you get from the highway and the beaches, the worse it can get. That being said...
you can walk around at night with little to worry about. I would equate the level of crime to anything you would expect in a town this size (little murder, occasional burglary and car theft sprees).

I hope that was helpful. To be honest, I see this being a completely different place in 10 years. It has definitely changed in the last 10.
Just wondering, I know that the two new high schools will be smaller schools similar to Rancho Campana High School that they are currently building in Camarillo. As smaller schools will they have sports programs? Will they have a football program?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:49 AM

239 posts, read 195,189 times
I used to live in Oxnard and I'd like to visit again soon. Things I miss.. The Collection (there's Whole foods, Target, Ulta, Panera, ( i heard the Container store is opening soon), Esplanade, Sta Clara Church, nearby PH beach, banana and strawberry festival and stores on Victoria Ave & River Park area and ofcourse the WEATHER is always nice.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvn88 View Post
I used to live in Oxnard and I'd like to visit again soon. Things I miss.. The Collection (there's Whole foods, Target, Ulta, Panera, ( i heard the Container store is opening soon), Esplanade, Sta Clara Church, nearby PH beach, banana and strawberry festival and stores on Victoria Ave & River Park area and ofcourse the WEATHER is always nice.
Wow, you miss those places? You must have recently left the area.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Is there anything to do as far as entertainment nowadays?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:07 PM

55 posts, read 75,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Is there anything to do as far as entertainment nowadays?
Anything specific you're interested in? The area has beaches, shopping outlets, someone mentioned The Collection, mini golf, I think there's a shooting range somewhere, etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:34 PM

community events, shows to see in the area (arts), different types of restaurants as in japanese, seafood, mexican etc., decent bars with maybe karaoke. Nothing too much just a small variety of things to do for my age group (40s) and my kids (20s) And thank you

Old 04-07-2015, 09:39 PM

168 posts, read 549,921 times
Quote:
Do you see much more in the way of jobs coming? I remember there was not a lot of jobs aside from customer service. I really enjoy it there but my kids would need to find employment during and especially after college.
I believe as Oxnard will grow because commercial real estate is affordable and available. The jobs will come but your kids will have to have the right college degree and the right skill set applicable for the middle class wage jobs; Otherwise they will be doing sub $20 an hour jobs after college. Medical field, many hospitals in the area; and Amgen and Baxter phamarceutical research companies, Engineering degree is good work for too the Military base or Haas. Many people in Ventura County have to commute somwhere for a good paying job anyway.

Quote:
community events, shows to see in the area (arts), different types of restaurants as in japanese, seafood, mexican etc., decent bars with maybe karaoke. Nothing too much just a small variety of things to do for my age group (40s) and my kids (20s) And thank you
I would say use yelp website to look around the county of Ventura for activities.
For Mexican Food I go to Montezuma in Oxnard
Japanse food i go to Cho Cho San in Thousand Oaks
Chinese Food Sesame Inn in Newbury Park.

Shopping at Collection in Oxnard, Thousand Oaks Mall, Camarillo Outlet, Pacific View Mall in Ventura.

Oxnard may still have the Food Truck court on Thursdays?
Look for Farmers market in different areas through out the County on the weekends.
Deep sea fishing
Whale watching
Paddle boarding
hiking in Santa Paula
Wine Tasting in Ojai and walk around downtown
You may find the Kareoke scene by Downtown Ventura and Ventura Harbor walk.
Golfing
Horseback riding, biking, or hiking in Newbury Park by the Santa Monica Mountains trails.
Camping by the beaches
Ventura County Fairs
Strawberry Festival
Vintage planes Air Show in Camarillo
Don't know if you ride motorcycle or not but tons of scenics routes in the canyons and coastline.
Looks for shows, concerts, events, and guest speakers at the Thousand Oaks Arts Plaza

Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM

239 posts, read 195,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, you miss those places? You must have recently left the area.
Correct just moved to another state recently. Lived in Oxnard for 7 years Loved it

Old 04-11-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvn88 View Post
Correct just moved to another state recently. Lived in Oxnard for 7 years Loved it
LOL, I mentioned that because I am a regular on an Oxnard Memories page on Facebook and for the most part people bring up things that they miss from decades ago. The Collection is fairly new. My family loves it there though. I grew up here. Never went very far. I have memories of things in the area also but the Collection is not a memory just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County