Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In fact the buildings still stood until only a few years ago when they were consumed in a brush fire.
Years ago I did some mountain biking in that area and the buildings were indeed there. It was actually a bit creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Years ago I did some mountain biking in that area and the buildings were indeed there. It was actually a bit creepy.
My sister and I tried to drive back there once and there was an armed guard sitting in a guard box at the gates

Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
My sister and I tried to drive back there once and there was an armed guard sitting in a guard box at the gates
The same situation you, Cyanna, experienced at Big Sky is similar to what we used to encounter hiking into the Paramount Movie Ranch above Box Canyon from the back side (L.A./Ventura county line). As a teenager, we used to hike up there from Lake Chatsworth at Thompson Road, if memory serves me right. It was really something hiking over the top ridges and dropping down out of view of the San Fernando and Simi valleys into this back-in-time "cowboys and Indians" valley. At the bottom, a "country stage-coach trail" meandered through big boulders and oak groves into a western town of saloon, bank, general store and hotel facades. It was mostly empty except for a scrappy dog and caretaker/guard. The guy would always tell us we weren't supposed to be there and let us drink from a water hose. The same routine every time we hiked there.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: scrappy grammar

Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,922 times
Jay and Silent Bob strike back filmed inbetween Oxnard and Camarillo. You can see the Camarillo Airport in the back round when they are talking to the hitchiker about the secret code of drivers

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
As a teenager, we used to hike up there from Lake Chatsworth at Thompson Road, if memory serves me right. It was really something hiking over the top ridges and dropping down out of view of the San Fernando and Simi valleys into this back-in-time "cowboys and Indians" valley. At the bottom, a "country stage-coach trail" meandered through big boulders and oak groves into a western town of saloon, bank, general store and hotel facades. It was mostly empty except for a scrappy dog and caretaker/guard. The guy would always tell us we weren't supposed to be there and let us drink from a water hose. The same routine every time we hiked there.
I did this same hike (on a bike) in the mid 1970s. There is now a little road called "Studio Road" about 3/4 of the way up Box Canyon from which you can access that old western town. I think Zorro was filmed there. There was a dude named Carl who worked as the security guard for that town. I remember him because of his .45 gun on his hip. Sounds like the same guy you are referring to.

I just did a quick scan with maps.live.com and google maps I couldn't see any facades. They must have been torn down or burned down by now.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Melrose Place: (the original one not the new one) Oxnard area.

Air America TV Show: Ventura at the old Santa Ventura studios.

Mike Hammer: Ventura (Several versions of this show featuring Staciy Keich were made. The last version was filmed in Ventura.) Also at Santa Ventura Studios

High Tide starring Rick Springfield: Ventura. First couple of seasons were filmed in San Diego. They moved to Ventura the last year of production. Also at Santa Ventura Studios

Matlock: Portions of the show were filmed in Santa Paula, Fillmore, and other parts of Ventura County, as well as other parts of the state.

Movies:

Erin Brochovich starring Julia Roberts: In Ventura, and other parts of the state. Erin is a local girl.

Back to the Future series: You can see the power plants in the oxnard area. Train parts were filmed in the Santa Paula Fillmore area

Swordfish: Mentioned allready. I was there for the filming of this one.

I mentioned the ones I saw or worked with. The first run synication shows I worked on the set during filming at Santa Ventura Studios.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I did this same hike (on a bike) in the mid 1970s. There is now a little road called "Studio Road" about 3/4 of the way up Box Canyon from which you can access that old western town. I think Zorro was filmed there. There was a dude named Carl who worked as the security guard for that town. I remember him because of his .45 gun on his hip. Sounds like the same guy you are referring to.

I just did a quick scan with maps.live.com and google maps I couldn't see any facades. They must have been torn down or burned down by now.
It was a great place to hike and get away. I remember specifically because most people would hike in Chatsworth Park or Stoney Point. The area above Lake Chatsworth and Box Canyon were actually off limits, but no one ever bothered you hiking there. Guaranteed solitude. The old Paramount Studio western Main Street was just a treat no other hike in the area could offer.

Seem to have read somewhere that the old structures were moved and are no longer at that location. At Big Sky Movie Ranch in Simi (Tapo Canyon Road area), the Little House on the Prairie structures did burn in a brush fire one year. Guess it's only on TV that they last forever. In real life, location sets are quite temporary. Catch it while you can.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Matlock: Portions of the show were filmed in Santa Paula, Fillmore...
I've recognized Filmore and Piru in old episodes of Quincy and Rockford Files. Stumbled on the filming of Weeds just east of Rancho Camulos near the county line last year.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,251 times
Winds of War - Scenes were filmed at the old CBC / NBVC) Port Hunenme. I believe the time frame was 1983.

I was the Asst Security Officer at the time and the only cast member I remember speaking to was Jan-Michael Vincent, wasn't that impressed. I forget the supporting actor, great guy and was in the Navy Reserve.

Other cast members were Robert Mitchum and Ali MacGraw, to mention but a few.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,475 times
Airwolf was filmed alot in the Old Lang Ranch area, at the end of Avenida De Los Arboles & (what is now) Westlake Blvd, but the Headquarters for the show was the old GTE bldg in Westlake Village, CA currently Baxter Pharmaceuticals (the one the looks like its built into a hill) can be seen from the 101 freeway between Lindero Canyon & Westlake Blvd exit on the North side of the 101 Fwy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County