Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times

Advertisements

Nothing on Camels Hump as far as I can tell from my end. I'll see Mansfield later today but it's been looking pretty uh, non-white recently lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Many interesting quotes from David who owns Pikes Farm in Maine. Late Strawberry Crop this year and most likely corn too. Do you guys have any stories from Vermont farms?

"We usually try to get the first corn in the 20th or 25th of April, and then you hope it's going to warm up, which it really hasn't"

"It's either been cold or windy"

"this year, I put in my irrigation pipes May 2. Two years ago, I put them in down there April 2. But things are weird this year"

"My greenhouse was a month behind in warming up, so I figure the ground will be a month behind, also,"

"Full bloom — May 10 — and I'm just starting. So the thing is, this may be a normal year — but we've had so many abnormal years, it's hard to remember what a normal year is."

Pike said it took two weeks for some of the corn seeds to germinate, because nighttime temperatures have been in the low 40s.

"They wintered, I think, very well," he said. "I've always said, 'The deeper the snow, the better the crop.'"

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/franklin-business/2014/05/18/late-winter-may-mean-late-crops-maine-farmers/1534780#

Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 AM

I don't have long term experience but just based on what I've heard and what I've seen the last few years, and from visiting here in May in the past, I'd say we're definitely at least 2-3 weeks behind. The apple trees are just starting to bloom here, and last year, they were in full bloom mid-May, on their way out almost. Some of our birch trees aren't fully leafed out yet either.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:14 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
In the Champlain Valley we are doing better than some past years. We have had zero frosts in May which is typically not common. Night time temps have been cool, but daytime temps are well above normal. We have been pushing close to 80 up until today.
Looking at my own strawberries, It's a normal year and possibly slightly ahead of some years. Usually I can get a late harvest from the rhubarb when the strawberries come in. This year looks like I'll be about mid harvest on the rhubarb.
The East has had strange weather. I was in West Virginia for a meeting this past week and the temps were in the 50's-60's for three days. When I called home my wife said it was 80 at the house.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
We have had zero frosts in May which is typically not common.
This is a good point - even here we haven't had a frost in weeks...

Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
I interviewed 20 or so maple syrup producers recently. Most were located in Franklin and Orleans counties. The average start date this year for sap runs was March 30th, a full month later than usual. Some trees ran as late as the last week of April, which is unheard of. Overall, production was off anywhere from 10 to 40% with two operations actually having a better year than last. March was as cold as I've seen it in at least 20 years.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I interviewed 20 or so maple syrup producers recently. Most were located in Franklin and Orleans counties. The average start date this year for sap runs was March 30th, a full month later than usual. Some trees ran as late as the last week of April, which is unheard of. Overall, production was off anywhere from 10 to 40% with two operations actually having a better year than last. March was as cold as I've seen it in at least 20 years.
Interesting. That's in line with the stories I'm hearing. Temps in April and May weren't bad. April was pretty much near normal (talking about the Northeast) and May is even slightly above normal. it was March that was the killer.

It's not so much late frosts but more about the prolonged winter finish and hesitant spring startup.

Here's a release about the Grape crops in Ohio. Trunk damage is not good.

Its 7 days to June and my veggie garden looks like early May. It's either cloudy, cool, windy, or rainy. The warmup in between isn't enough. Yesterday my high was 56° ..that's our normal low! People were bundled up and had the heat on.

It doesn't look better going forward. Status quo. Warmup, normal, cool downs. No torch or hot pattern for Northeast. The south Central U.S better get ready for a hot summer. Thats where the heat will be. I just see a normal summer for us maybe slightly below normal.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 AM

Enjoy the temps! 70s! Even 80s into southern VT tomorrow! Back door cold front slides in Tuesday. 50s at night.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting. That's in line with the stories I'm hearing. Temps in April and May weren't bad. April was pretty much near normal (talking about the Northeast) and May is even slightly above normal. it was March that was the killer.

It's not so much late frosts but more about the prolonged winter finish and hesitant spring startup.

Here's a release about the Grape crops in Ohio. Trunk damage is not good.

Its 7 days to June and my veggie garden looks like early May. It's either cloudy, cool, windy, or rainy. The warmup in between isn't enough. Yesterday my high was 56° ..that's our normal low! People were bundled up and had the heat on.

It doesn't look better going forward. Status quo. Warmup, normal, cool downs. No torch or hot pattern for Northeast. The south Central U.S better get ready for a hot summer. Thats where the heat will be. I just see a normal summer for us maybe slightly below normal.
I'm from Southwestern CT and still have most of my family there. Temps down your way have been cool. We have been the opposite. With the rain and daytime heat, I have been having to mow the lawn twice per week. They were calling for 70's and possibly 80 this past weekend. We were above 80 all weekend long. We were camping in the RV for the holiday not far from the house and ran the AC Sunday night to cool off.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Nasty Nasty severe storm heading into Vermont towards Brandon and north of Rutland. Rotating and possible Tornado. Be safe guys!

"Possible Tornado just now crossing State Route 74 in Shoreham moving SE"

https://twitter.com/JamesSinko

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont