Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quick update on the potential.. There's 2 features we have to watch for... 24th and 28th timeframe. The first not being a big deal but Ski Areas might like. Basically has a storm rounding the base of the trough and because the trough isnt established yet, the storm track stays north through VT dropping snow in the north as shown here.

The second one around the 28th continues to show up but the latest GFS this time has a more west track which would put VT into a cold rain and western NY into the heavy snows.

As for the rest of the weekend and into next week.... Status Quo. 20s at night, 30s/40s in the day. Dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Where can I find temperatures for mountain peaks?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where can I find temperatures for mountain peaks?
Try this. Hope it helps. Mountain Weather Forecasts

Pick the range, subrange, then the mountain they have available. Keep in mind that there arent weather stations on mountains so current weather isnt always accurate but the forecasts should be close based on models and what they show for that level. Let us know if you see anything curious.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Last night there was a Capped Inversion in place all over the NorthEast.

Basically its when cold air is at the surface but there's a cap up above so the heat cannot escape into space and gets trapped up above near 5000'.

Pretty cool to see and not common. It was in the 20s at the surface but in the 30s above us.

This was Mt Washingtons auto road last night.
Notice its 26 degrees at the surface and as you climb the temp drops as usual. 23 degrees at 3300'. ..But notice as you climb past that it gets warmer. It was 31 degrees at 6288'.

This would be a Ice Event situation if there was precip involved.

Summit Conditions – 10:15 PM, Thu Nov. 15, 2012

For more on inversions, try this link. The Original Weather Blog: Weather Resource: Capping Inversion

Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
I knew something unusual was happening when I saw fog rolling in last night with the temp. around 20. The term "inversion" did go through my mind. This morning we were at 14 degrees with dense frozen fog. The result that we got to see when the sun came up was white trees everywhere and green grass. Left my camera at home, of course.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
The weather has been way off from past years. About 90% of the trees have lost their leaves, but we have a few trees with orange and red leaves and we have two smaller oaks with green leaves. Our grass is still green and we mowed again today. This is crazy. I can't remember ever having to mow this late in the year in the northeast. Our first frost was a record breaker as well. That didn't happen until the first week of this month. Precipitation is way down according to yesterdays forecast. November has always been the cloudiest month of the year in Vermont, but we have had more sun than clouds so far. I guess we are the perfect example of global warming.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The weather has been way off from past years. About 90% of the trees have lost their leaves, but we have a few trees with orange and red leaves and we have two smaller oaks with green leaves. Our grass is still green and we mowed again today. This is crazy. I can't remember ever having to mow this late in the year in the northeast. Our first frost was a record breaker as well. That didn't happen until the first week of this month. Precipitation is way down according to yesterdays forecast. November has always been the cloudiest month of the year in Vermont, but we have had more sun than clouds so far. I guess we are the perfect example of global warming.
A bit different if you go south believe it or not.. Even down here temps have been below normal and feels kinda weird since I've been used to warm weather. It's been dipping into the 20s and staying 30s at night mostly here where normals are near 41. Its had a cool feel this year finally.

SouthEast are really feeling it. They should not be getting into the 30s at night in November but they are. It's been below normal during the day and at night down there.

What I find interesting is how New England is staying warm and the south is staying cold. Thats pure indication of heavy blocking up north preventing the cold air from getting into Northern New England.

Did you guys see october finally broke the U.S streak of warmth? Notice where the cold air has been and thats continued through November. With some exceptions in the Northeast like in CT. VT, NH, ME all staying above normal into November.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Quick update on the potential.. There's 2 features we have to watch for... 24th and 28th timeframe. The first not being a big deal but Ski Areas might like. Basically has a storm rounding the base of the trough and because the trough isnt established yet, the storm track stays north through VT dropping snow in the north as shown here.
Update on the Clipper:: Models continuing to show this clipper type system, some runs staying North in Canada, other runs south into New England. What is being more agreed on is the cold front associated with it.. Its going to get cold after Thanksgiving when the cold front comes through Saturday but nothing extreme accoding to Vermont Standards.

Here's what the latest Euro says as far as minimum temps Tuesday 27th Morning. Pretty much 20s widespread.

BTV: IT LOOKS LIKE THE PATTERN WILL CHANGE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO
SATURDAY AS LARGE UPPER TROUGH MOVES INTO THE REGION. HAVE
INCLUDED A CHANCE OF RAIN AND A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS
FOR FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY AS UPPER TROUGH WILL BE SLOW TO
CLEAR THE AREA..

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Very Cool post by NWS Upton on this beautiful November day!

Anyone with a home weather station or barometer notice the high pressure the last two days, especially this morning? This graphic displays an analysis of the sea level pressure across much of the nation on this Sunday morning. One aspect that stands out is how high the sea level pressure is across the eastern United States and southeast Canada.

A 1043 millibar (mb) high pressure is situated near Northern Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Sea level pressure values across our service area this morning are from 1038 to 1040 mb! These stronger surface high pressure systems are more common to occur during the late fall and winter months. As a reference, the standard atmosphere sea level pressure is about 1013 mb

Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
A bit different if you go south believe it or not.. Even down here temps have been below normal and feels kinda weird since I've been used to warm weather. It's been dipping into the 20s and staying 30s at night mostly here where normals are near 41. Its had a cool feel this year finally.

SouthEast are really feeling it. They should not be getting into the 30s at night in November but they are. It's been below normal during the day and at night down there.

What I find interesting is how New England is staying warm and the south is staying cold. Thats pure indication of heavy blocking up north preventing the cold air from getting into Northern New England.

Did you guys see october finally broke the U.S streak of warmth? Notice where the cold air has been and thats continued through November. With some exceptions in the Northeast like in CT. VT, NH, ME all staying above normal into November.
I was in Louisiana last week and the night temps were much lower than what they typically have. In New Orleans the last night we were there, the temp was in the 40's. In the Burlington area we are still somewhat warm. I wish I had my camera, our roses are still going. They are some what protected along the side of the house, but I notice green leaves today along with buds. If this keeps up I will be mowing grass into December. This is crazy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont