Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

I noticed something weird in the mountains this weekend. Low daytime temps and high nighttime temps. Seemed backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
IWho likes to ski??

t's been cold enough in New England that Ski Reports are opening up. In the past they werent able to do this because of warm temps.

A list of Ski Resorts that will open this weekend November 23-26 in New England.

Cold temperatures have snow guns blazing at ski resorts across the Northeast, and the ability to create snow at a more efficient rate than in the past. While a handful of areas, including Sunday River, Killington, and Okemo, remain open, the weather has allowed other ski areas to open in advance of their anticipated dates.

•Bretton Woods and Loon Mountain Resort, both slated to open over Thanksgiving weekend.

•Killington, the first resort in New England to open for the season, has top-to-bottom skiing on 13 trails and two lifts. Skiing is on primarily, ungroomed terrain.

•Sunday River continues to make snow, and currently has six trails and one lift running in Newry, Maine. The resort plans to open the Barker Mountain Express and have at least 11 trails open for the weekend.

•Stowe will run its FourRunner quad this weekend, and plans to have four miles of skiing and riding ready in addition to a few terrain features set up at its Fifth Avenue terrain park.

•Sugarbush opens on Saturday, and hopes to have a top-to-bottom route ready, though some downloading may be necessary

•Waterville Valley is planning a Saturday opening, weather depending.

•Jiminy Peak was able to open last weekend, but its status for this weekend is currently up in the air as the resort makes snow. Stay tuned for details

•As long as temperatures stay cold enough for increased snowmaking, Sugarloaf plans to re-open on Friday

(picture is of Sugarbush in Vermont)
More resorts opening for the season - The Ski Guru Blog

Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I noticed something weird in the mountains this weekend. Low daytime temps and high nighttime temps. Seemed backwards.
Yeah there's something strange about the inversion too. There's areas of the NorthEast that have 45 degree temps aloft while the surface is in the 20s and 30s. Why is it staying so warm above our heads but the surface cooler?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM

NWS Albany regarding this coming weekend. It won't affect travel plans but might help boost retail sales. Cold with some snow showers around. Sounds like a classic winter day that I once experienced as a kid.

MODELS AGREE THAT A SHOT OF COLD AIR WILL BUFFET THE AREA LATER SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WITH SOME LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS DEVELOPING AS 850MB TEMPS DROP TO -11C GFS AND -10C EURO. TIGHT CYCLONIC PRESSURE GRADIENT AND GOOD MIXED LOWER ATMOSPHERE SHOWN IN THE FORECAST MODEL SOUNDINGS INDICATE GUSTY WINDS ALONG WITH THE COLD AIR. WARMEST TEMPS ON THE WEEKEND LOOK TO BE SATURDAY MORNING AS STRONG COLD ADVECTION COMMENCES.

SUNDAY LOOKS TO BE A BLUSTERY DAY WITH SNOW SHOWERS MOST AREAS AND SOME ACCUMULATING SNOWS FROM SOUTHWEST ADIRONDACKS ACROSS UPPER MOHAWK VALLEY TO NORTHERN CATSKILLS.

FAIR AND COLD WEATHER EXPECTED ON MONDAY WITH TEMPERATURES A FEW DEGREES BELOW NORMAL

Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Its not this weekends clipper we have to keep an eye on (because its moisture starved and weak) but it might be next weeks storm. Track is everything from who gets what. Latest GFS has a track closer to the coast so VT gets the snowstorm.

Still 9 days away so anything can and will change but this is what the last GFS showed. Are you in the green 4-6" area?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
This mornings extended forecast was showing 50's until the weekend. This weekend is highs in the 30's and then another warm up into the 50's next week. They must be using a different model. Nothing would surprise me, but with the above average temps that are continuing I would bet on the warmer side. This is one of the first years I can think of in a while when there was no snow at all for tracking deer before Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Lastest GFS is COoooLD. Also has a Strong storm exiting NJ and throws the most snow down in VT than anywhere because of its track... Check out the snow totals from this particular run.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Love seeing that snow! I'm driving back to Vermont this weekend. I hope it's a great snow season for everyone!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Well, amazing update is that all models supress the storm and have trended south. That means Vermont misses out and most likely snow for Philly, NYC, CT.

But Lake Effect machine has turned on today. So tomorrow Flurries and light snow will be flying around everywhere and feel COLD Sunday!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM

When is the snow hitting upstate NY? I will be traveling on the southern tier on my way to Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont