Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,280,513 times

Advertisements

We got 5-10"of rain in a matter of hours. Vermont is very mountainous/hilly. The water came rushing down the mountains turned streams into roaring rivers and roaring rivers into god knows what. Anything in that rushing water's way was wiped out.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 PM

257 posts, read 609,387 times
Thank you for explaining it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
If anyone's driving ATV's to get supplies in and out of anyplace, watch out in Randolph. Apparently the police there are citing people for it. Good grief.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,688,804 times
Heartworks of Vermont

Heartwork in VT is a group of women who do for the community. This is what they are doing to help their neighbors. Neighbors helping neighbors.

tonight’s Heartworks Meeting:

"this was specifically to find where we wanted to help after Irene-
Brett Morrison came to our meeting invited by Lisa- He told us of the damage
that took place in Jamaica- He lost his whole house and belongings along with 3
others on Water street. He told us that no state or federal help has showed
up yet- that neighbors are helping each other recover household items etc.

We decided as a group that we are taking on these families along Water street in Jamaica because as of now they are “flying under the radar”

Of immediate need are back to school supplies for the kids -
food, water, hygeniene kits and clothing.

We are finding out sizes for the kids and adults that were affected. that info will be shared as soon as we get it

Down the road we will help these homes with household items: furniture, kitchen supplies, etc.
We discussed how in October when we have our “Clothes from the Heart” - we may also have larger items for those that were affected by Irene and need to fill new houses. This event will be down the road.

So, what can you do-? We will be collecting money and/or using money from our account to buy school supplies at Staples.
We are going to make HYGENIENE kits- so you can buy items that would go in that (toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, soap, shampoo etc)
We are going to deliver these immediate needs on Monday- Labor Day- If its a nice day we were going to bring up a large grill and do some BBQ’ing for the locals - bring up water, fruit , veggies, cookies etc. and serve up some food and be there for them.
We are going to put money at the store so locals can go in and buy what they want or need at the Jamaica store.

So , that is the immediate plan and the long term plan is to help along the way to rebuild their community -

Also, there are 3 of us who are taking on a family in Green Mtn. who have a 4 yr. old Danny- who had a playroom that flooded- Pat and Bill care for their grandson as their own- They are in need of money to go to a hardware store and a food store. If you want to donate to them- drop off at Jan’s letting her know its for Danny’s family!

the group that showed up tonight- about 20 or so women- gave $1000 - YEAH!
The power of Heartworks continues to amaze me- thank you all! Lisa"

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,044,539 times
I have been vacationing in southern VT for decades as a child and now as an adult. My hearts breaks for all of you and I hope your recovery is swift.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
I hope sombody is shipping in Porta Potties. Sanitation is a major problem in disaster areas.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,387,395 times
Spent the day in Waterbury village yesterday. So sad. The air is filled with dust from the dried must and everything smells like fuel oil from the flooded basements.

Most people have pumped our their homes, but thick layers of mud remain. It's like a war zone. All of the stores/restaurants downtown were closed.

On a bright note, a lot of volunteers were out helping people empty their basements and storefronts. And, Ben and Jerry's sent out an ice cream truck to offer everyone free cones. It was a sweet break from the clean up.

It's going to take a long time for the town to recover. Anyone who wants to volunteer tomorrow or Friday can show up at Thatcher Brook Elementary School at 9 a.m. and they'll connect you with a family or business that needs help cleaning up.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,862,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Spent the day in Waterbury village yesterday. So sad. The air is filled with dust from the dried must and everything smells like fuel oil from the flooded basements.

Most people have pumped our their homes, but thick layers of mud remain. It's like a war zone. All of the stores/restaurants downtown were closed.

On a bright note, a lot of volunteers were out helping people empty their basements and storefronts. And, Ben and Jerry's sent out an ice cream truck to offer everyone free cones. It was a sweet break from the clean up.

It's going to take a long time for the town to recover. Anyone who wants to volunteer tomorrow or Friday can show up at Thatcher Brook Elementary School at 9 a.m. and they'll connect you with a family or business that needs help cleaning up.
Just left out of Waterbury yesterday where we had been staying with friends. It was amazing how much that river rose and the damage that it did. A garage down by the power plant behind the ball field was lifted off its foundation and carried a bit and collapsed. The park fence is gone probably because part of the road gave way and concrete is now in the middle of the field. The water smells pretty oily. Families had their entire belongings out on the front lawn....and then into dumpsters the town was putting on the hardest hit streets. Green Mountain coffee was flooded and the state offices were partly under water as well.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,505,306 times
Parts of Brattleboro were severely flooded, and damaged, by the Whetstone Brook. The Whetstone Brook is a tributary of the Connecticut River, and it meandors all over Brattleboro. I had heard that it flooded on occasion, but I never imagined anything like what did happen.

Flat Street, Williams Street, Frost Street were all flooded. An Arts Center on Williams Street lost part of the ground under it. There was talk of a potential collapse, but the owner says he plans to rehabilitate the building.

The site of the Farmer's Market is by the side of the brook, and it got clobbered. I visited it the day after the storm, and it looked ruined. But there were people standing in a group and talking, and now I read that they will probably have their usual market this Saturday.

On Monday, the day after the storm, I walked a few yards up Flat Street, from Main Street. The water was replaced by mud. I had to turn back because it stank. Must have been sewage.

West Brattleboro got it bad, too.

The Connecticut River is brown with sediment today. And I've seen lots of debris in it since the storm. It definitely looks different now.

Brattleboro has been all over the media. And John Cantore, from The Weather Channel, was here. If Jim Cantore comes to town, you know you are in trouble. But he's from Vermont, so the state also has emotional significance for him.

At the same time, if you were on Main Street, and didn't look up Flat Street, you'd never know anything was wrong.

Fortunately, I was not affected at all. I did spend money on emergency supplies, as well as energy on anxious anticipation - but I can use what I bought for the next emergency, or even without an emergency. I bought water, an LL Bean Emergency Weather Radio, two battery-operated camping lanterns, and lots of batteries. Lots. A lot more than I need. And lots of canned tuna.

Last edited by arel; 08-31-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,245,536 times
Last thing people need now is another storm.

Hurricane Central, Hurricane Trackers, and Hurricane Information - weather.com

Record winter/spring flooding followed by all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont