Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM

6,833 posts, read 9,106,516 times

Advertisements

Maybe this has been asked before, but what is the difference between Vermont and New Hampshire in how Hurricane Irene affected them both? We are hearing a lot of what's happened to Vermont (terrible). We're not hearing too much about New Hampshire. Is that because NH has fewer rivers? Were they hit hard too and we just aren't hearing about it?

I've been through a flood, when I was 11 years old and my family lost everything. I have great sympathy for anyone in Vermont or elsewhere who is dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,113 times
My friends in NH have said no biggie, though I can't confirm that throughout the state. I do know that by the storm got to New England, the coast had it easier and lands to the west of the storm got hardest hit. So what you're not hearing as much about are the heavily damaged, small NY State towns near the Vermont border, and parts of NW Mass., like North Adams.

That sounds like one intense childhood experience. I hope your family was able to regroup and rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Maybe this has been asked before, but what is the difference between Vermont and New Hampshire in how Hurricane Irene affected them both? We are hearing a lot of what's happened to Vermont (terrible). We're not hearing too much about New Hampshire. Is that because NH has fewer rivers? Were they hit hard too and we just aren't hearing about it?

I've been through a flood, when I was 11 years old and my family lost everything. I have great sympathy for anyone in Vermont or elsewhere who is dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,630,222 times
Am wondering of hurricane impact on Middlebury? Anyone? I think sherylcatmom was trying to go there?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,388,984 times
Quote:

Just over the border in NH - no biggie. A lot of rain but it was the usual story of tropical storms or hurricanes moving up the East Coast and finishing up with a whimper instead of a bang.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Am wondering of hurricane impact on Middlebury? Anyone? I think sherylcatmom was trying to go there?

I didn't see any damage when I drove through Middlebury yesterday. Business was carrying on as usual. I didn't do a deep recon or anything.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,300,408 times
PLEASE KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THE DISCUSSION.
Thank you.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,300,408 times
The storm's track is the reason NH did not see the flooding damage VT did. Vermont stayed on the western side of the storm which is where the most rain falls. The more east of the storm you are the more wind.

Quote:

Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,388,984 times
This FB page has some helpful info on how people can help.

Vermont Flood Relief & Recovery | Facebook

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,837,007 times
It is really bad - Cavendish / Ludlow area, really really bad. National Guard has arrived...I remember, as we all do, watching TV and the effects of Katrina and other similar disasters and never in a cazillion years ever think we would be slammed in VT. For people concerned about friends and family and/or having access to many towns:
Vermont Agency of Transportation Traveler Information
For people who want to help in some way: Forum | #VTResponse (http://vtresponse.wordpress.com/forum/ - broken link)
Most of Route 131 is gone; many portions of 100 are gone; there are smaller towns which have access by bridges, the bridges are gone; unbelievable.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

217 posts, read 642,037 times
thoughts and prayers to the green mountain state from texas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont