Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,674,611 times

Advertisements

Jamaica, Vermont - Irene Flooding - YouTube

My thoughts are with the people of Vermont who have lost homes and are in some cases stranded due to flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,919 times
I imagine no matter where you live, the whole state will be affected what with road and bridge closures, wash-outs,etc. How did the Burlington area fare? My daughter lives southeast of Burlington, and when I spoke to her yesterday she was unaware of any significant flooding in her area.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times
From what I can tell Burlington managed pretty well, and most of the surrounding area.

Montpelier had flooding, but downtown cleared up pretty well without any significant damage, and Barre, which was hit hard by the flooding in May, escaped unscathed.

The southern parts of the state were hit hardest. Wilmington was isolated, with road washouts on all sides, and there are washouts in some of the other major roads, so travel will be difficult for some time.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,274,173 times
SE of Burlington area is fine. Just some trees down here and there. Central and Southern VT is where the flooding is.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM

44 posts, read 114,037 times
can anyone say for sure how depot hill rd made out in Pittsford? I know the road was closed, but was anyone flooded out?

Sorry to hear about the flooding in Rutland and Brandon... wish all you the best!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,736 times
Waterbury, Moretown (Village) and Richmond/Jonesville got hit pretty hard. At one point Waterbury had 3 to 6 feet of water in the downtown area. Water in Moretown was up over 10 feet in some areas.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Lots of towns are basically landlocked islands now, no way in or out (gives "you can't get there from here" a whole new meaning). Ludlow, Stockbridge, Killington, Pittsfield, Bridgewater, Mendon, etc., last time I checked, no way in or out. All the major roads are closed at one point or another. I got to parts of Shrewsbury, Wallingford, Clarendon and Tinmouth from Rutland but equally large parts of these towns are cut off and isolated. I hear there's now a detour that'll connect Rutland and Brandon, but haven't seen so myself. I believe the NEK fared the best, but, I don't see a way of getting there from here. The interstates fared best for roads down here I've heard, but getting from where you are to the interstates is another matter.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,135,431 times
Very sad news (Rutland Herald):
Two men are missing this morning following the flooding in Rutland County on Sunday.
Michael Garofano, Rutland City’s water treatment plant supervisor, and his son Mike, 25, were checking on water flow near the system inlet in Mendon at approximately 1:30 p.m. when the city lost cell phone contact with them, according to Mayor Christopher Louras.

Tomorrow I'm going to use Route 30 to get from Rutland to Burlington for work. I'm not sure what the Brandon detour is, but I think (hope) 30 to Middlebury will be easier.

Not sure, but I've heard Route 103 in Ludlow is becoming passable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Lots of towns are basically landlocked islands now, no way in or out (gives "you can't get there from here" a whole new meaning). Ludlow, Stockbridge, Killington, Pittsfield, Bridgewater, Mendon, etc., last time I checked, no way in or out. All the major roads are closed at one point or another. I got to parts of Shrewsbury, Wallingford, Clarendon and Tinmouth from Rutland but equally large parts of these towns are cut off and isolated. I hear there's now a detour that'll connect Rutland and Brandon, but haven't seen so myself. I believe the NEK fared the best, but, I don't see a way of getting there from here. The interstates fared best for roads down here I've heard, but getting from where you are to the interstates is another matter.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 08-29-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,674,611 times
Southern VT is devastated. Arlington VT was hit extremely hard. Homes were washed away on Kelley Stand Rd, Woodford Town Hall is gone, Killington Ski Base Lodge is gone. Towns higher up in the mountain are unreachable due to roads being washed away.

Rte. 7 North headed towards Rutland fell in at the Twin Bridges and Rte. 7 in Arlington is half gone. Many overpasses have collapsed and washed away.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
I read a report on the Rutland Herald that 103 is open to I91 and Ludlow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont