Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to change the place. The reason I mentioned development is it is quite a distance between more urban areas. The further away something is sometimes the higher the cost of living. When there is higher access to various things costs of living can go down. Burlington looks like a great place. I'm not asking for a box store at every corner.

The reason I mention the open areas is because frankly I'd assume that fewer people makes maintaining a area harder. If a fire breaks out for whatever reason I didn't see that much in the way of fire departments. Everything needs someone to tend the land or maintain it on some level, otherwise it runs a risk. I'm from Mass not NJ. There's no need to be insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 30,776 times
My husband and I come to Vermont each year for a week's vacation and I have come to really appreciate the state. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be buying a home in the Northeast Kingdom, Danville or Lyndon area.

As far as the box stores and suburbia, I would not want to see that happen in Vermont. I live in New Jersey and am so tired of seeing one strip mall after another. I also hate those big box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. We always went to our local, in-town, hardware store before it closed up. They carried a little of everything.

And someone made a comment about billboards...that is one of most disgusting things New Jersey and New York have...I loved driving through Vermont and seeing trees, mountains and NO billboards whatsoever. I hope that never changes.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM

48 posts, read 107,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora369 View Post
My husband and I come to Vermont each year for a week's vacation and I have come to really appreciate the state. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be buying a home in the Northeast Kingdom, Danville or Lyndon area.

As far as the box stores and suburbia, I would not want to see that happen in Vermont. I live in New Jersey and am so tired of seeing one strip mall after another. I also hate those big box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. We always went to our local, in-town, hardware store before it closed up. They carried a little of everything.

And someone made a comment about billboards...that is one of most disgusting things New Jersey and New York have...I loved driving through Vermont and seeing trees, mountains and NO billboards whatsoever. I hope that never changes.
You mean you don't want "visit rock city" wrote on the side of every barn?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamn View Post
You mean you don't want "visit rock city" wrote on the side of every barn?

Or see "South of the Border" billboards in three states before you arrive! Or maybe that place has (hopefully) vanished from the face of the earth.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM

198 posts, read 464,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not looking to change the place. The reason I mentioned development is it is quite a distance between more urban areas. The further away something is sometimes the higher the cost of living. When there is higher access to various things costs of living can go down. Burlington looks like a great place. I'm not asking for a box store at every corner.

The reason I mention the open areas is because frankly I'd assume that fewer people makes maintaining a area harder. If a fire breaks out for whatever reason I didn't see that much in the way of fire departments. Everything needs someone to tend the land or maintain it on some level, otherwise it runs a risk. I'm from Mass not NJ. There's no need to be insulting.

I never said you were from NJ. But if you really researched Vermont you would find that we all have local volunteer fire departments who respond to fire calls. They have great training and know their jobs. I have 1 FD 2 miles away and the other 3.5 miles away.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
I never said you were from NJ. But if you really researched Vermont you would find that we all have local volunteer fire departments who respond to fire calls. They have great training and know their jobs. I have 1 FD 2 miles away and the other 3.5 miles away.
I understand what you are saying but at the same point I just have to ask as to why someone would have to research a given area prior to going.

A friend of mine found a pond in Florida once that was great swimming and when he asked a local why no one swam in it the reply was "Cuz there's gators in it"

My argument basically is that if a community is to be sustainable it has to establish equity (transportation, information, etc). If there are fewer options then it really isn't sustainable and it can then just become a remote area run by elitists. That's what can be seen in say Cape Cod and certainly on the islands.

I hate billboards as well. The worst road I was down was the turnpike in NJ because it feels like it just doesn't end. There isn't that much in the way of billboards where I am although some trucks have become moving ones.

It will be interesting to see how the single payer bill works. If Obamacare does not pass and the vermont plan stands it could receive significantly more people going there specifically for free care. How it could alter development will be interesting as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
If the ACA does not pass then the VT single payer system collapses like a house of cards. True to Vermont style, the intent was to hold their hand out to the Feds to the tune of $18 million to fund it. Plus, don't expect the powerful state union to let their members give up the cushy health insurance they currently have. So many people will either opt out or be ineligible that the plan will more than likely not be viable.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

cue twilight zone music

Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
cue twilight zone music
No, cue the music from Deliverance, it'll keep the state from turning into NJ...lol

Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM

444 posts, read 788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, cue the music from Deliverance, it'll keep the state from turning into NJ...lol
...but it might turn the state into Northern Georgia - them hillbillies might get a hankering for Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont