Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 06:15 AM

9,495 posts, read 5,273,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Vermont has higher income taxes than New Jersey. If you have a 6 figure income and don’t escape any of the Act 250 school property tax, property taxes can be higher in Vermont depending on where in New Jersey. Vermont’s tax burden is low by northeastern standards other than New Hampshire if you’re lower income. It’s a really progressive tax system compared to most places.
I stand corrected. Most sources often cite New Jersey at the top of the list....

Random:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...property-taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 12:20 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,332,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I stand corrected. Most sources often cite New Jersey at the top of the list....

Random:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...property-taxes
New Jersey doesn’t have a state school property tax. Your beach house on Cape May has a $5 mil rate. Lower than the resort towns in Vermont before Act 60. Or you can have a mil rate that’s double the Vermont Act 68 commercial rate plus the town’s muni rate. It’s just like New Hampshire. It varies wildly by town depending on the tax base and the fraction of children in public schools. In NH, the mil rate on the lake in Moultonborough or in New Castle or at Attitash is really low. That Newsweek article is clickbait. Until you look up the mil rate of the town, you can’t say anything about property taxes. Even in Vermont, you need to know all the CLA stuff since towns aren’t appraising at 100%. Plus you don’t know the muni rate and that varies by town.

Again, Vermont is a totally reasonable tax state if you’re lower income relative to your household size. It’s high tax if you’re upper middle class or above. I’m not saying whether that’s good or bad but that’s how Vermont taxes their residents. Given the median, the majority of Vermonters don’t pay big taxes.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:31 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,074,867 times
I don't get why everyone wants to move to Vermont - NH is right next door and is very similar in terms of climate, landscape, etc. (plus it has ocean shoreline!). But no, it's that "Vermont mystique" that people get from watching the Newhart show. It's like VT is some kind of Shangri-La.

I am renting now, but when I buy a house I will be looking in both NH and VT.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't get why everyone wants to move to Vermont - NH is right next door and is very similar in terms of climate, landscape, etc. (plus it has ocean shoreline!). But no, it's that "Vermont mystique" that people get from watching the Newhart show. It's like VT is some kind of Shangri-La.

Well, as someone that lived in VT, and who has family in VT, I'd say the much much saner politics of VT goes a long way in that appeal.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:00 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,332,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, as someone that lived in VT, and who has family in VT, I'd say the much much saner politics of VT goes a long way in that appeal.
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade. It’s pretty blue there. Little different from an inside I-495 metro Boston suburb. New Hampshire hasn’t been electing right wingers like Ovide Lamontagne. He failed twice running for governor and once running for the senate. The state legislature is enormous so it’s pretty easy for nut jobs to get elected. I remember all the Take Back Vermont signs. It’s not like Vermont doesn’t have plenty of social conservatives.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:22 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,032,528 times
Quote:

Less people!

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...E,NJ/PST045219

I always looked at the cold an snow as a natural barrier to keep an area from getting over populated.

I have always been drawn to New England for its architecture, closer to earth lifestyle and politics. You rarely hear of Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine in the news. I don't see Vermont as some Shangri-La. So many people watch the Hallmark Channel and love the quaint towns but frown on the people from there saying "the climate is cold and the people are colder" which can be true to a degree.

I lived in Maine and endured how a Yankee can be. You make friends on the surface but when there friends and family ostracize you to your face its hard to ignore. NH moto Live Free Or Die sounds good on the surface but from what I have experienced its all about Their Own freedom.

This is a site I have been reading, so far seems like VT has problem's as everywhere else so it's a wash.
https://vtdigger.org/

Old 11-30-2021, 05:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 699,140 times
Quote:

If I had a choice between the two states, I would pick Vermont in a heartbeat over NH. Why?

1. Vermont may have higher taxes, but it also has a better social safety net. If I ever found myself in trouble and didn't have health insurance or I was out of a job, I feel that I'd be in better shape in VT.

2. NH has more sprawl while VT has more villages. Sure, S. Burlington and Rutland may look like Anywhere USA, but the rest of the state has managed to preserve the old world community feeling that I would expect in a New England state. Sure, NH has a few small cities that fit the bill too, but overall, VT has the better, more preserved towns with less ugly sprawl.

3. NH has the taller mountains, but VT has the beautiful farms that stretch into the hills.

4. Job market sucks in both places, but the only advantage for NH is that it's near the densely populated part of Mass and people are able to make money that way.

5. NH may have a pretty nice, but small coastline. Vermont has the lake and it's great, too.

6. VT may get a little silly with their "woke" politics, but NH combats that with their faux libertarianism. This is kind of a wash.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:39 AM

56 posts, read 62,639 times
No roadside billboards in Vermont. As a recent transplant, I find that a plus. Very noticeable outside Vermont.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:58 AM

9,495 posts, read 5,273,735 times
"5. NH may have a pretty nice, but small coastline. Vermont has the lake and it's great, too."

It's a good lake but not a great lake Take a kayak out on Champlain and you may as well be in the middle of the ocean!!!

There are many great things about VT.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,032,528 times
I wanted to share some of the websites I follow to get information about what impresses me to move to Vermont. I hope these links help people considering a move.

https://www.mynbc5.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/StuckinVermont/videos
https://www.sevendaysvt.com/?_ga=2.1...504.1638345082
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...E,NJ/PST045219
Vermont Roots Migration Project - Welcome
https://vtrans.vermont.gov/planning/maps/ancient-roads
https://vtvast.org/trails.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont