Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM

132 posts, read 196,778 times

Advertisements

Americans, with exceptions of course, are too often just plain angry at anything and anyone for no apparent reason. It isn't Vt. or N.H. or northerners or southerners or city dwellers or locals or whatever. This is a violent nation, eager to pick a fight with anybody, any nation, any nationality over any made-up slight.
Don't confuse my comments about Americans with how I feel about "America". You can love America and dislike Americans. They are not one and the same. Not anymore, if they ever were.
After living all over the country in my 61 years, I have never felt anyplace was more friendly than another. Why don't I get the hell out? I've tried, but any decent nation is less friendly to Americans than Americans are to each other. Guess why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,198,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally get it. Some probably are transplants. The dude who wouldn't let me use his phone was a real Vermonter. I know that for a fact. My friends who are real Vermonters were treated badly by him when they went to his business. He thought they were flatlanders because he had never seen them before. They're from northern Vermont, and moved further south for employment. It made me feel better to be validated by real Vermonters. They had a chance to know what it's like to be new. To experience something so downright cruel and have people say "look in the mirror" "you get what you give" is disgusting, but I notice the OP is a transplant. Oh, the irony. I think you're onto something, arctichomesteader.

Like I said, I love Vermont and the people. The overall vibe of the place isn't for us on a permanent basis. The transplants ruining the vibe is sort of irrelevant. If the vibe isn't right, the vibe just isn't right, no matter what the reason. I come from a very mellow part of the country where people are very outgoing, friendly, trusting, and tolerant. We're not steroid intense east coast big city people, but we're not reserved, mistrustful and need-to-get-to-know-you-first people. Nobody needs to prove anything to us. We'll accept you for who you are. I just can't put roots down somewhere with so many darn factions---the real locals, the transplants, the flatlanders, the tourists, etc. I'm accustom to being where there are no labels and it doesn't matter who you are or where you're from.
Well, indeed, if you are true to your "no labels" word then VT doesn't fit you. I bought a pop up camper (never been camping) headed out to find a new state to live....(never been North of Arkansas.) Did 27 states in 2 months and ended up buying a tear down house 2200 miles away from all friends/family. No job, never saw snow, didn't know a soul. I get along with ANYONE and that is a fact, not something I strive to do. If a place doesn't sit well with you, then well? It doesn't. Period. Seek elsewhere.

I just don't like to see a certain place slammed because it doesn't work for the "poster". I have been embraced both in northern NH and VT. Also, in a totally male dominated business.

When the winds change, you have to adjust the sails..................

Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,355,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I just don't like to see a certain place slammed because it doesn't work for the "poster".
You asked for it when you created this thread.

I have been visiting the Vermont forum for a few years. I never "slammed" it.

Your thread inspired an honest response from me.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You asked for it when you created this thread.

I have been visiting the Vermont forum for a few years. I never "slammed" it.

Your thread inspired an honest response from me.
Good for you Ms Hopes..."you asked for it???" equals slamming. I adore honesty but I will call out fakeness when I see it. I've done VT threads for years too??? SO ????? Want to trump me? I live here and made it work...you lose.

I'm, not playing tit for tat with you. I just said that if a place doesn't "work" for you then it is not the place for you and you want to fight instead of admitting the truth. Pick a sentence out of a very encouraging post and make it negative in a personal way? Can't halp you Missy. And thankfully, you don't want to live in my new home state.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Good for you Ms Hopes..."you asked for it???" equals slamming. I adore honesty but I will call out fakeness when I see it.
You asked for it meaning you asked for people's opinions on slamming Vermont.

Quote:
I've done VT threads for years too??? SO ????? Want to trump me?
My years of posts here are mere proof that I have not been a Vermont slammer.

My sharing that has nothing to do with trumping you and your posts.

Quote:
I live here and made it work...you lose.
I don't view either of us as losers. If we're both where we want to be, that makes us both winners.

Quote:
I'm, not playing tit for tat with you.
Oh, yes you are.

Quote:
I just said that if a place doesn't "work" for you then it is not the place for you and you want to fight instead of admitting the truth.
Nobody is fighting about it but you. I merely offered my experience since you asked.

Quote:
Pick a sentence out of a very encouraging post and make it negative in a personal way?
My post wasn't negative in personal way.

Quote:
Can't halp you Missy. And thankfully, you don't want to live in my new home state.
I'm clearly not the one with a problem here.

I'm beginning to think this is a bait thread and nothing more.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Good hopes...You can express your feelings which is good,, I still think that you should express those feelings in a more constructive manner. Maybe you should discard the VT thread, since it is so horrible to you. maybe you should instead ask constructive questions of Coloroado, since it seems the ideal? I've just been trying to steer you in the direction that you longed for all along.....

Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

I'll be sticking around. I like the Vermont forum. I always have. That hasn't changed.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,781,505 times
I grew up in VA, outside of washington DC. however, my parents are from vermont, and I have a ton of family there. I love it every time I go there. each time I leave, I wonder if I should drop a resume. I think the biggest issue in cases like this is when people relocate and try to change the culture. vermont is vermont. vermont isn't NYC.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,402,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I grew up in VA, outside of washington DC. however, my parents are from vermont, and I have a ton of family there. I love it every time I go there. each time I leave, I wonder if I should drop a resume. I think the biggest issue in cases like this is when people relocate and try to change the culture. vermont is vermont. vermont isn't NYC.

You might as well drop it in the dumpster on the way out.

There are no jobs in Vermont.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
You might as well drop it in the dumpster on the way out.

There are no jobs in Vermont.
This is laughable....just did a quick check. Seven Days has 10 pages of jobs, Vermont state jobs number in the hundreds and jobsinVt.com show over 2200 jobs. Personally, I lost my job last spring and there were many jobs I could have applied for. I did apply for a state job and was called for an interview but I had to turn it down as I had already accepted another job which I love. Your comment is completely false, just another reason city-data has no credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont