Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,806,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxPhantom View Post
Well it looks like I legally have a leg to stand on after consulting with my attorney. The shed is 15 years+ old and zoning can't do anything about it, plus the guy who built it was president of the association at the time, so that makes sense why there wasn't an issue when it was built. Plus it was signed off when he sold to my seller, then when it was sold to me it was signed off on by the board that stated the board knew of no issues, health, building code for limited common areas assigned to the unit (my shed) or otherwise that would affect our unit. And it would seem if there was an issue with this shed existing it should have been brought up in 2001 and 2011 when it was sold to a new owner. And it wasn't. So we can throw that in their face and have some better leverage to get some more money out of them since w're not legally obligated to sell it to the association. We're working on contacting some contractors to give us an estimate of it's worth so hopefully things will end with this soon and we can move on with our lives.
It's a 15+ year old shed. $750 for an old shed is more than fair IF they remove the shed.

If the condo HOA president had it built to match the condos, is there the possibility that the material used was stolen from condo supplies? If that were the case, did you ask your attorney what could happen?

The contractors can only give you an estimate as to what it would cost to rebuild the shed, not the value of it in it's current condition. Apples and oranges. Chances are the roofing is 20 year, so it's approaching the end of its useful life. The vinyl siding is older and probably builders grade (inexpensive to start with). The sheathing is probably composite, not plywood. The structure has been exposed to 15+ seasons of inclement weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM

3,444 posts, read 4,478,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's a 15+ year old shed. $750 for an old shed is more than fair IF they remove the shed.

If the condo HOA president had it built to match the condos, is there the possibility that the material used was stolen from condo supplies? If that were the case, did you ask your attorney what could happen?
How speculative and absurd. Condos are not built by the condo corporation but rather by a developer/builder. In any event 15+ years is a bit late to pursue anything and the OP would not be the responsible party.

Quote:
The contractors can only give you an estimate as to what it would cost to rebuild the shed, not the value of it in it's current condition. Apples and oranges. Chances are the roofing is 20 year, so it's approaching the end of its useful life. The vinyl siding is older and probably builders grade (inexpensive to start with). The sheathing is probably composite, not plywood. The structure has been exposed to 15+ seasons of inclement weather.
It has value beyond materials because the existing regime is apparently not going to permit anyone else to have one. Although the facts are not entirely set forth here, the current owner appears to have defenses/positions that the condo corporation won't be able to overcome. Those may include statute of limitations (eight years to enforce restrictive covenant), and apparently estoppel (estoppel/resale certificates previously issued by condo corporation) based upon the remarks made. The OP might have also acquired the land under the shed by adverse possession at this point. Worth having a serious discussion with a real estate attorney licensed in the state the condo is located in that is NOT a member of the condo-attorney trade/lobby group known as Community Associations Institute (CAI). You'll likely find the CAI attorney always seek an outcome favoring the involuntary membership corporations rather than the members. As far as the condo president, maybe he just wants it for himself. In any event the claim to the shed plus the land it sits on is almost certainly worth more than $750.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,978,641 times
To each his own, but my time is worth something too. So spending more than a half hour on this issue would have been 20 minutes too much. I agree that $750 for a 15 year old shed is fair. They usually need repairs around that mark, and aren't easily moved without damage.A realtor can tell you how much added value the shed adds to your property. At 15 years old, the cost to build it really has no bearing, but the value it adds to your property does.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM

8,098 posts, read 10,139,564 times
As much as I believe you are in the right, and the HOA can go pound sand, is it 'worth it'? You can be a prick, but they can be pricks too, and hold up a sale. Being right doesn't always work out the way you think it will, but I would sure love to tell them, just as a matter of principle, to take a hike.

Sheds are one of those funny thing. People will go to HD or Lowes and pay $1000 for a new one, but won't pay $250 for an existing building. You get a chance to sell it, and you WANT to sell it, for $750---goodbye shed. (They move it).

Old 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 490 times
Default By Laws Interesting

I came across this thread as I am interested in the by laws and think I may have to dismantle my shed after finding out the gen. Great info here thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont