Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,283,219 times

Advertisements

If you are interested in Vermont/New England hauntings, Joe Citro has written a bunch of books on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,580 times
Joe Citro? Thanks, I'll check it out. Down here in AL there is an author who has a series of books called 13 Alabama Ghosts. I always remember getting a kick out of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:22 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,506,484 times
I got a spooky feeling when I saw the Retreat Tower in Brattleboro. I later read or heard that it is haunted. Have others heard this, too?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM

14 posts, read 116,576 times
Default Haunted houses in Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I got a spooky feeling when I saw the Retreat Tower in Brattleboro. I later read or heard that it is haunted. Have others heard this, too?
If you are interested in actually visiting a haunted house in Vermont, go to the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne. The Dutton house on the museum grounds is "supposedly" haunted by the ghost of Salmon Dutton who originally
built the house in 1782 in Cavendish, Vermont. In addition to its use as a residence, it was also a stagecoach stop on a toll road owned by Mr. Dutton. He was very enterprising and held many prominent positions in the town. Unused for many years, the house was obtained by the founder of the museum, Electra Webb, from the Vermont Historical Society. She had it dismantled, moved piece by piece, re-erected on the museum grounds in 1950, and open to the museum visitors in 1953. Structural features of the house make it worth a visit. You can actually go up to the second floor to where the ghost is supposed to be. Furnished bedrooms and storage space are among the things you will see up there.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:08 PM

79 posts, read 314,792 times
Default Hauntings

I grew up in near Rutland and currently live in Rutland. The house you are speaking of is known as the Eddy house. The story, as I remember it from high school, goes that the house faced the street one day and the next day it was turned to the side. The Eddy family that owned it were supposedly mediums. I'm not entirely sure where exactly the house is located, but I've heard it was around Pittsford / Chittenden, but my husband insists it is in Mendon.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,139,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
The house you are speaking of is known as the Eddy house.
Some links about this house (Chittenden seems to be the location):

http://books.google.com/books?id=jay...r3-AMUyNuhfjLI
http://www.prairieghosts.com/eddy.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/eddy-brothers

Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM

79 posts, read 314,792 times
Default Haunted houses

PVJD --The stuff you described that happened sounds similar to what happened at my husband's childhood home. He grew up in Rutland's old Italian neighborhood, known as the "GUT". Like most of the early 1900's Italian built homes they were built with two kitchens, almost like a mother-in-law apartment set-up. My husband doesn't remember anything weird happening as a child, but shortly after we started dating, both his dad and his aunt died (she lived in the "in-law" apartment). From the day that his aunt died there was always something weird going on upstairs. Even years after she died, you could smell strong cooking odors as though she had just cooked something. There was also a very strong presence that you could feel when you walked around her apartment, as though she was following you around. There were some other weird things as well that I won't go into here. About a year after they died, my mother-in-law decided that she would make some renovations so she could rent out the apartment for extra income which she did, only to have the first two tenants move out shortly thereafter because it was haunted. She stopped renting it out. We convinced her to sell it in 1998 because the neighborhood was going down hill and the young couple that purchased it only kept if for a year because of the happenings.

Just out of curiosity... where is the house you rented?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 40,791 times
Default Norwich University - Alumni Hall

When we were checking out some places to live, we were interested in sending our children to Norwich, and residing there in Northfield. We were told that in the Alumni Hall, a cadet hung himself in a dorm room, and a couple of years later his brother went to the same room and hung himself. Apparently, it is boarded up now. Anyone go to Norwich and seen anything like this? Sounds like 'The Shining' or '1408'!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 PM

I am so happy with the responses. Thanks, I am looking into some of these links and info. I have been getting.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
PVJD --The stuff you described that happened sounds similar to what happened at my husband's childhood home. He grew up in Rutland's old Italian neighborhood, known as the "GUT". Like most of the early 1900's Italian built homes they were built with two kitchens, almost like a mother-in-law apartment set-up. My husband doesn't remember anything weird happening as a child, but shortly after we started dating, both his dad and his aunt died (she lived in the "in-law" apartment). From the day that his aunt died there was always something weird going on upstairs. Even years after she died, you could smell strong cooking odors as though she had just cooked something. There was also a very strong presence that you could feel when you walked around her apartment, as though she was following you around. There were some other weird things as well that I won't go into here. About a year after they died, my mother-in-law decided that she would make some renovations so she could rent out the apartment for extra income which she did, only to have the first two tenants move out shortly thereafter because it was haunted. She stopped renting it out. We convinced her to sell it in 1998 because the neighborhood was going down hill and the young couple that purchased it only kept if for a year because of the happenings.

Just out of curiosity... where is the house you rented?
Sorry for my brief departure. It was in Rutland, off of Crescent St. It was a drinking hang out during prohibition, and later the upstairs was used as a dance studio. At the time that I lived in it, it was a two-family duplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont