Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:24 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Barton View Post
Any place inside or outside can be haunted, because any place could have spirits there - just like people. Heck, there was a spirit in my room a few times, but it was my own -- I was astral traveling.
I used to do that when I was little. I vividly recall falling asleep, then feeling the "floating" sensation. I remember a particular time when I decided to look when I felt that sensation, and I found myself at the ceiling looking down at my little self on the bed. I was so freaked out, the next instant I was back on the bed looking up at the ceiling.

I had a friend many years ago who recalled doing this, only he was so used to the feeling he would look at himself asleep on the bed, only instead of the ceiling, he'd make himself go to different spots of the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 22,605 times
I watch A Haunting on Discovery Chanel They will be showing a program about a house which is haunted in my town there are a few but never heard of this one until I was checking the TV scudule for A Haunting and there on the tip top of the page it jumped out @ me I'll be watching that for sure.

We have a few other places claiming paranormal action. Another good program for those who like paranormal life.. SI FI chanel Ghost Hunters With TAPS & GHI Ghost Hunters International, you may just see the places you know of on their programs. Join their website to their good @ awnsering questions.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,677 times
In VT, we have to disclose what would be considered 'stigmatized' property...i.e. if someone was murdered in the house, committed suicide...and we are supposed to say something like 'rumor has it' or 'neighborhood talk' is that the house is haunted...otherwise, yes, you could be right, the buyers would think we are nutz! And by saying talk is...then we are disclosing what the talk is without stating whether there is or there is not a ghost(s)...I was showing property to some customers a few weeks ago and we passed by a particular house...actually one in Cavendish which 'rumor has it' and they asked about the property and I told them exactly that....it is now an Inn...they have just recently e-mailed me that they are coming up again soon and they want to stay in that inn because "rumor has it that"....so, for some, it is spooky and for others, it is very kool!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM

oops, forgot to add...I think it is important to disclose even what we really don't know in this type of situation...what if someone did purchase a property, was not told that 'rumor was' and then they went grocery shopping and the local said, oh, you are the one who bought that haunted house....that could be a problem...I guess if you lived in Amityville and were interested in THAT house, you should already know about it!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
oops, forgot to add...I think it is important to disclose even what we really don't know in this type of situation...what if someone did purchase a property, was not told that 'rumor was' and then they went grocery shopping and the local said, oh, you are the one who bought that haunted house....that could be a problem...I guess if you lived in Amityville and were interested in THAT house, you should already know about it!
That story is so trumped up, it's unbelievable. The poor people living on that street were hounded for years by traffic up and down at all hours and people milling about to get a glimpse of the house. The houses on the street are all very close together, typical south shore LI on the water. I lived a town away and to be honest, was a part of the idiot kids who went there looking for spooks.

For those unfamiliar with the backstory, the home once belonged to the DeFeo family. One night in 1974, the oldest son, Ron DeFeo, Jr. woke up and shot his parents and 4 siblings to death. DeFeo Jr is still imprisoned in NYS.

One family purchased it and capitalized on the back story, creating the infamous Amityville Horror that we've all come to know and be creeped out by.

The house number has been changed -- there no longer is a 112 Ocean Ave. The exterior of the home has been altered to make it a little more difficult to recognize -- especially for people who have never been there before.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 22,605 times
I was at my gym the other day one of our ladies worked @ the Inn and Cavendish she also said there were claims of it being haunted mostly by the owner. She herself never expirenced anything!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM

I remember talking to a former employee when it was "Glimmerstone" who told me that his little girl (I think she was about 4 years old, give or take), kept on talking about the nice little old lady who used to keep her (child) company when she played, listened to stories that her dad would tell her, etc. "out of the mouths of chldreN'; I understand the dad moderately freaked out and his daughter told him not to be upset at all, she was a very nice old lady and she even checked on her when she was in bed....I do recall one set of owners telling me that doors would open and close...NE is certainly supposed to have lots of "hauntings"...and Vermont, I understand, has her fair share of them....I think the more and more we read and learn the more and more we begin to recognize that there certainly is a whole lot we simply don't know...maybe Shirley McClaine was absolutely right when she wrote her book Out on a Limb...and Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross with her years of study and research..she documented, and wrote several books about death and dying and how all her patients would 'see' their parents, their children, relatives, etc., if nothing else, I would think it is a comforting thing to know that you are never alone when you 'pass over'...perhaps some of these spirits don't realize they tend to scare those 'here' with their "friendly" intentions of just hanging out...

Old 03-15-2008, 11:35 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,913 times
I was pretty certain that the house I lived in in Rutland had something else in it other than myself. I was never scared--more amused and intersted than anything else.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I remember talking to a former employee when it was "Glimmerstone" who told me that his little girl (I think she was about 4 years old, give or take), kept on talking about the nice little old lady who used to keep her (child) company when she played, listened to stories that her dad would tell her, etc. "out of the mouths of chldreN'; I understand the dad moderately freaked out and his daughter told him not to be upset at all, she was a very nice old lady and she even checked on her when she was in bed....I do recall one set of owners telling me that doors would open and close...NE is certainly supposed to have lots of "hauntings"...and Vermont, I understand, has her fair share of them....I think the more and more we read and learn the more and more we begin to recognize that there certainly is a whole lot we simply don't know...maybe Shirley McClaine was absolutely right when she wrote her book Out on a Limb...and Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross with her years of study and research..she documented, and wrote several books about death and dying and how all her patients would 'see' their parents, their children, relatives, etc., if nothing else, I would think it is a comforting thing to know that you are never alone when you 'pass over'...perhaps some of these spirits don't realize they tend to scare those 'here' with their "friendly" intentions of just hanging out...
Check out "We Don't Die" by George Anderson. He has written several book on the topic of spirits and the next world.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Thanks, I will. Have you read anything by Dr. Raymond Moody, pretty interesting stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont