Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,556,533 times

Advertisements

You seem to value low cost living and that is admirable. CT doesn't offer it, and neither does VT. Have you looked to the mid-west or northwest at all? There's some great places out there and the cost of living is dramatically lower than the Northeast with low unemployment as well.

VT has the same issue with hundreds and hundreds of applicants for the few "good" paying jobs that come up. If you've had an offer already that is great but it's something to keep in mind.

I say this all as a lifelong NH/VT resident. VT for the last 14 years. I love it here, but the financial challenges are very real. If I wasn't so embedded with my family and friends and the time put into building my own business, I would be looking west for better opportunities and lower costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,642,155 times
Good luck in your move. $2500.00 a year on a small home, on a postage stamp size lot. Yep, Rutland would be like home to you, not unfamiliar in costs anyway. It is one of my favorite Vermont cities (not a Burlington fan here) despite the drug problem they have been having. I like the shopping (not a "Neo-Vermonter" here-big box stores don't scare me) and the fact that it is somewhat isolated from other areas. It has a nice municipal bus system. And there is a working, drive-up A&W restaurant right up the road in Middlebury as well. Renting in Vermont is dicey I agree. Our son lives on the other side of the river from Dartmouth-Hanover and prices are outrageous there as well. Problem with VT is, unless you are handicapped, low-income or a senior citizen VT has nothing for you rent-wise. Working class people need not apply. And if you find something affordable it is some cut-up old farmhouse with the second bedroom being a sun porch or so small you can barely fit a twin bed in it. Been there, done that (one reason why we no longer live in VT). I know a good realtor in the area if you are interested.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:13 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,978,111 times
Rutland real estate prices are the lowest in years. It's a buyers market right now and there are some great deals to be had. Property taxes are somewhat higher, but I'd rather pay a bit more in taxes than drive on Vermont roads in winter.
Rutland has it's issues, just like any community but there are a lot worse places to live. If you choose to get involved, there is a strong sense of community here.If you can make it in CT, you can make it here. We have friends there and the cost of living is comparable, if not higher there.
Winters are a challenge, but summers here are great. There are free concerts most days of the week in Rutland and surrounding towns. Killington has one on Saturdays that is our favorite. Great bands, beautiful scenery and totally free.
Pine Hill park has miles of hiking and biking trails and is highly rated in NE. A lot of hiking trails to scenic destinations. The Paramount theater does an outstanding job for a small place in bringing in acts. Dorset and Weston have some great theater as well.
Vermont is a great fit for some people and a horrible one for others. It depends on what you're really looking for. If we could squeeze a few more months of summer in, it would be perfect.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:17 PM

150 posts, read 218,167 times
I presume you've made several lengthy visits to Rutland and are familiar with the town? I mean no offense to the residents of Rutland, but it's not what I'd call the garden spot of VT. It's a rather tough town. Note: I live in SW VT and find myself in Rutland frequently for business and just traveling through.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM

32 posts, read 37,597 times
Hi sovertennis,
I have been through the "main "drag" a couple of times but never stopped off in Rutland. I have read quite a few posts relating to the "seediness" of the area and I can relate this to my town as well.

Harpoonalt - Thank you kindly for the information and I certainly agree with your statement "if you can make it in CT you can make it here" I feel and can see that COL of CT is higher. From my understanding (in VT ) if a family makes below a certain amount, they can get a reduction in their taxes. We can't get that here. What I am looking for? I am in need of full-time work and Vermont has / had the offer. I know there will be other opportunities in VT but my chances are very limited here in CT.

Dan - Thank you for your good wishes I will need them

lol I have to say after looking at apts, you are right on with your assessment.

"And if you find something affordable it is some cut-up old farmhouse with the second bedroom being a sun porch or so small you can barely fit a twin bed in it."

Sporin - Yes, we don't need much to live but I do need a full-time job to pay the bills that we have. Again, I wish I could some how merge the job with my current home as I could then at least make it. I have been applying for jobs in the Northeast as the majority of my family lives here (CT & VT) and if I moved North it would only be 3-5 hours from them. I may have to look elsewhere like you mention. I don't know If I would go to the other side of the country (NW) though. Ahh decisions, decisions.

I do sincerely thank everyone that has responded to my post. Things did not go through as planned and hopefully things are resolved here so I can move forward. It would sincerely be great if I could secure work right in CT but my employment prospects looks dismal. To be continued....

Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 PM

64 posts, read 101,780 times
good luck and we will keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers, hang in there, nothing lasts forever,even mud season passes.....

Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 PM

It has been a bit since I have been on here and I am still in CT at my job. One thing has changed and that was the information (that I have been waiting on)finally came through(it is good news).I guess it wasn't meant to take place at the time of my first writing. I don't feel upset or mad or even angry for that matter. I feel that maybe things worked out the way they were intended or "meant to be". I know I still have a good chance at another similar opportunity in Vermont but not sure if it's the right move to make. Time will tell...

As a side note: I may even look in NC ( in-laws -mother, father, sister, brother) live in Winston Salem area) Not sure if I would like the weather - heat, humidity, bugs, etc as I can just about stand it here in the summer. Every now and then they ask us to come down and visit. Never been there but have read tons and tons of posts here on city-data. I located some pretty decent paying jobs for what I do for work. The houses - they are much cheaper and with low taxes!! I guess I will need to take a trip there during the hottest part of the summer and see if I can live in it or melt.

Thank you Northernborn for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers - very much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernborn View Post
good luck and we will keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers, hang in there, nothing lasts forever,even mud season passes.....

Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,001,346 times
outdoorNE

Living above 3500 feet makes North Carolina bearable-- much, MUCH less humid! And somewhat cooler. I lived 2+ years in tidewater Virginia and thought I would die from 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 AM

cgregor,

What part / section of NC do you recommend? This is exactly what I want to prevent (for the most part anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
outdoorNE

Living above 3500 feet makes North Carolina bearable-- much, MUCH less humid! And somewhat cooler. I lived 2+ years in tidewater Virginia and thought I would die from 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:34 AM

809 posts, read 1,001,346 times
I have a sister living in the Asheville area. When she and her husband got weary of the Florida heat and humidity, they went house-hunting there, and realtors advised them, "You want something above 3,500 feet." So they got a place in the western part of the state, about 35 miles from Asheville, 3,600 feet, and she's been happy with it for the last twenty years. Part of the contentment also lies in having a fair number of other transplants around her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont