Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM

56 posts, read 75,577 times

Advertisements

Hmm. I think there are people who are suited to warm or cold weather. I spent two years (including winters) in northern Norway. Of course, I was much younger, but it was energizing. The summer depletes me, by noon I'm spent. Just going out to get the mail, I am dodging the sun like a mouse under a hawk's eye. Spending summer in the South doesn't count if you're on the coast, mountains, or FL. You have to spend April-Nov smack in the middle: dry (and getting drier), yet you're drenched, and no breeze to spare you from the inferno. Supposed to be 77 here this week. I could weep. I've spent a fair bit more than a winter weekend in VT, so I think I'm wise to what is in store. I haven't spent mud season there, so that will be new, but by then spring will be on the horizon.

Oh, I should mention that depending on where you live, you'll be running that AC 24/7 from May-September easily, if not sooner or longer. Even if you don't mind the heat and humidity, you don't have the option of turning it off: your house will get nicely mildewy without it. So add that to your COL. Also, depending on where you live, taxes could be high. Maybe not as high as VT, but they aren't as low in NC as folks usually expect. I live in a very modest 1300 sqft house on a little less than a .25 acre, but mine are $4500/yr. You'll have to live pretty dinky in town, go deep into suburbia, or a small town to get those cheap taxes folks talk about in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:52 AM

167 posts, read 247,506 times
Haha Cackalassie, it is not the easiest thing to try to convince Northerners how bad summers are, in March!!!
BUT I totally get your point!
I lived one hurricane in my 4 years here in New Orleans and it's tough. I was 8 and a half month pregnant and we were out of power for more than a week - that mildewy air is a killer. Here, hurricane season starts in June and ends in November. That whole time, you have to be hurricane ready. You don't see kids play in the street until 5-6 pm, because the sun is so dang hot.
BUT it's pretty nice from October to April

There's ups and downs everywhere, you just have to choose your priorities and stick to 'em. I honestly don't want my son to be raised hearing about shootings in his town every day. I want him to have cousins and aunts and uncles and be part of a community. I want to show him all sides of nature. That's why I'm moving back north! I'll send hubby down south during January and February

Old 08-02-2015, 03:44 PM

32 posts, read 37,529 times
Well, I have only lived in Florida (and visited Georgia and Louisiana) during the Winter months so that is all I have to compare to New England weather. It was nice not to have snow in the Winter. Other then that, I truly enjoy the 4 seasons in New England. I remember working with a relative in Florida working on houses (handyman services) in June - August. I will say, I never could grasp how my relative could work in such intensive heat. No career I ever want to be in. However, it was quite the work experience.

I can't imagine your taxes in NC would be that high for the size home / lot you describe. Sounds like CT property taxes lol. Thank you for your thoughts and NC living experience. I guess it all comes down to shoveling snow or shoveling heat Good luck with your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Hmm. I think there are people who are suited to warm or cold weather. I spent two years (including winters) in northern Norway. Of course, I was much younger, but it was energizing. The summer depletes me, by noon I'm spent. Just going out to get the mail, I am dodging the sun like a mouse under a hawk's eye. Spending summer in the South doesn't count if you're on the coast, mountains, or FL. You have to spend April-Nov smack in the middle: dry (and getting drier), yet you're drenched, and no breeze to spare you from the inferno. Supposed to be 77 here this week. I could weep. I've spent a fair bit more than a winter weekend in VT, so I think I'm wise to what is in store. I haven't spent mud season there, so that will be new, but by then spring will be on the horizon.

Oh, I should mention that depending on where you live, you'll be running that AC 24/7 from May-September easily, if not sooner or longer. Even if you don't mind the heat and humidity, you don't have the option of turning it off: your house will get nicely mildewy without it. So add that to your COL. Also, depending on where you live, taxes could be high. Maybe not as high as VT, but they aren't as low in NC as folks usually expect. I live in a very modest 1300 sqft house on a little less than a .25 acre, but mine are $4500/yr. You'll have to live pretty dinky in town, go deep into suburbia, or a small town to get those cheap taxes folks talk about in NC.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:16 PM

32 posts, read 37,529 times
I recently paid a visit to Rutland and decided this is no place I would like to reside. Even though there is a decent job opportunity for me, I am going to pass this town and opportunity up. There will be other opportunities for me it just won't be in this town or maybe not even in VT. Someone related the town to Las Vegas and believe they called it Rutvegas lol They were right on. This is one town I don't believe I could ever get use to. One thing I was shocked at: the traffic was / is absolutely a horrendous nightmare. I am still keeping all my options open. I do enjoy this forum and everyone's experiences / opinions.

Its funny how we live in a place for so long (ex. Vermont, CT or NC) and just feel it might be a little more green on the other side. Although technically it might be in NC with a longer growing season, Cackalassie wants to experience cooler weather and lots of snow in VT. Tired of the heat, they are looking to cool off and I am certain should Cackalassie and her family move to VT, they will get plenty of what they are seeking and then some. Some of us in the Northeast think it is time for some extra heat and South is the answer. My in-laws lived their whole lives in CT and now live near Winston Salem, NC. My father-in-law said to me, " I wish I had done this 15 years ago" lol. He loves it there. Then again, my in-laws are well into retirement and don't have to seek out work. They can hang out in the AC house all day. One thing that is a big difference for them is the amount of house one can buy and how little the taxes are. (Over $5000.00 a year in CT compared to a minuscule $900.00 a year) and it is a brand new big beautiful home, 2 car garage and a large lot. Cackalassie, this is why I don't understand why your taxes are so high where you live in NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Rutland has no natural gas (another topic for another day). You heat with oil, propane, or (shudder) electric. A drafty old 2 bedroom apartment in Rutland is going to have some fierce utility bills in the winter. If you think $1000 for a 2 bedroom apartment is pricey, you're going to be setting the heat at 50 and wearing 8 layers of Polartec all winter. As somebody pointed out earlier, rental housing is expensive in Vermont because of high property taxes. Vermont has a state school tax and rental houses are taxed at a very high commercial property rate. That gets passed on to the tenants.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 48,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorNE View Post
I recently paid a visit to Rutland and decided this is no place I would like to reside.
LOL, probably a good call. Next time check out Springfield or Bellows Falls. Kidding.

The thing about CT is even if you're in somewhat of a seedy area, there are so many resources around that you can jump a town or two over for your shopping or whatever. I think Rutland's pretty isolated, so there would be no respite.

I'm a CT transplant myself and the struggles in VT are very different than CT. BUT I can say that, at the end of the day, I do love Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont