Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM

444 posts, read 583,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai1130 View Post
Thanks Jack!
What I don't like about here. Its super religious and your basically invisible if you don't attend church. People constantly end conversations or a simple hello with "come follow me". Bible pushers everywhere, all day every day. The school systems here are horrible! I mean there is a huge gap in education from South to North and its very apparent. The meth problem is bigger than anywhere else I have ever seen. Its everywhere and I mean everywhere. Now mix both of those together, religion and meth and well that's a monster of its own. The food culture is all corporate fast and chains. Also organic and health conscious is basically non existent here. Its slow but not slow like relaxed and laid back. It slow like stupid or lazy slow. I know that sounds ignorant but its the truth. My kids get picked on because they sound educated and they are "fancy"...smh... Also being a foster parent is a job here! There are so many kids in foster care or being taken care of by grandparents that it is sad.... I almost feel like the Government has failed this area of the country. As people from the Northeast we really are priviledged and certainly hardworking also! I know this isnt all of TN and I certainly dont want to put that label on everywhere. Its Greene County where I am. The truth is I just dont belong in the south and feel like my kids deserve way more than the South can offer them (when compared to where we come from of course).

What I am looking for.
A good school system doesnt have to be top 10% but decent. My daughters are 9 so they have many years to go in the school system. Cozy laid back relax community feel but with access to shopping, rest, ect. Im a single widowed Mom so social scene doesnt matter. I am an Optician but I am currently studying Holistic Nutrition online and am certified in the use of Holistic Herbs, Vitamins, Minerals and Nutraceuticals. (No one here cares about any of that) My husbands death has afforded me to not worry about work depending on the cost of living. Thats why Burlington has got to be out of the question until I finish school. It is where I would love to be though. Yes Im sure its part fantasy because I road tripped there all the time up RT 7 from Danbury LOL.

We are avid hikers, skaters, bikers and my kids are snowboarders. We love the cold weather and the snow. I have been looking into Orleans, Essex and Caledonia Counties for a while now. The cost of living is great but I also see they are pretty rural. I dont mind that but I do need access to stores and some entertainment for the kids. I keep getting brought back to Newport Derby area. Before my husband died we were looking at property over by the White Mountains. We actually had our eye on a property in White River Junction for a while and he died a week after we put in the offer. That was 7.5yrs ago. Havent been back to VT since.
Sorry for the ramble but any advice, opinions will help. Thanks!
It is the same problem here in north carolina as you have in TN from what is sounds like...seriously, new england is a great place to live if you can deal with the cold weather and find a great paying job to afford a quality house in VT...they aren't cheap. Take the upper valley area, only people living in quechee are the doctors and professors...you might get lucky renting an apartment in lebanon for 1700/mo on 50K-60K/yr...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 PM

57 posts, read 154,326 times
OP: Thank you! I moved to West TN, which I understand is worse than E. TN so you can just imagine. I'm stuck here though. Get out while you can. The poverty, degradation and ignorance --- and hostility to educated outsiders has been a big shock to me.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,882,084 times
Yeah I'd try the Mad River Valley (moretown,warren,waitsfield,fayston) but I am partial. I'm definitely not saying it's cheap or affordable but maybe a little more so than right around Burlington and offer more hiking/biking/skiing opportunities. I like Montpelier also.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:56 PM

150 posts, read 217,897 times
I'd suggest you look at SW VT, especially Manchester. Although the cost of living is slightly more expensive than in some of the towns other posters have mentioned, the schools are excellent and all the activities your kids like will be easily accessible. Although I don't live in Manchester (just south of there) I have many friends there and I find it to be a very welcoming and socially active town with many educated and interesting people.

Vergennes seems like a pretty good place too. Springfield, IMO, not so much (sorry, Chuck).

Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 PM

809 posts, read 999,917 times
I would not mind living in a nifty place like Montpelier, but I really enjoy getting my teeth into a civic challenge-- and Montpelier's probably got its act too well together for somebody who likes to do spadework in a community.

Anybody who'd like to improve a school district, attract entrepreneurs and their families, make property taxes more equitable, and generate public support for universal health care for Vermonters would find Springfield fertile ground!

Why live somewhere and expect to be served, when you can set up the service for those who follow?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

20 posts, read 29,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBroad View Post
OP: Thank you! I moved to West TN, which I understand is worse than E. TN so you can just imagine. I'm stuck here though. Get out while you can. The poverty, degradation and ignorance --- and hostility to educated outsiders has been a big shock to me.
Yes it is a horrible to place to live! Your so right the ignorance is like nothing I've ever seen. I just cant bring myself to stay here and specially raise my young children. I'll always be an "educated and affluent" Northerner just by my lack of accent. Basically I will always be hated and treated with ignorance.

Thank you everyone I will continue looking into all the places that have been mentioned!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:16 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,683,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
I would not mind living in a nifty place like Montpelier, but I really enjoy getting my teeth into a civic challenge-- and Montpelier's probably got its act too well together for somebody who likes to do spadework in a community.

Anybody who'd like to improve a school district, attract entrepreneurs and their families, make property taxes more equitable, and generate public support for universal health care for Vermonters would find Springfield fertile ground!

Why live somewhere and expect to be served, when you can set up the service for those who follow?
Make no mistake, there is plenty of room for civic engagement here in the capital city.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM

150 posts, read 217,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post

This is pretty sanctimonious response considering that the OP asked for suggestions for a town in which to move where her kids would find good schools, activities they like and an infrastructure that wasn't frayed to the middle. She didn't say she wanted to become a crusader for failing schools, a poor business climate or Quixotic (and, as of now, dead) social issues like single payer health care. Most single mothers don't set those items as goals.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:51 PM

75 posts, read 120,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Take a look at Vergennes. Commutable to metro Burlington. Cheaper home prices than Chittenden County. Vergennes has a nice little downtown with quite a few good restaurants and nice shops. I have friends with kids in the school system and they have nothing but good things to say.
I second this ; Vergennes is a very pleasant community. The nice thing about your wish list is that most of it would apply to pretty much everywhere in VT with the possible exception of the Lamoille Valley /NEK. This will allow you to focus on where you can get a job because you could probably get along with vters the state over. Good luck to ya!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 PM

75 posts, read 120,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jai1130 View Post
Yes it is a horrible to place to live! Your so right the ignorance is like nothing I've ever seen. I just cant bring myself to stay here and specially raise my young children. I'll always be an "educated and affluent" Northerner just by my lack of accent. Basically I will always be hated and treated with ignorance.

Thank you everyone I will continue looking into all the places that have been mentioned!
I was born in VT, lived in FL for a couple years, and absolutely loathed it. Northern and Southern people ARE very different and cultural clashes are really common. Welcome back to New England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont