Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:38 PM

809 posts, read 997,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
cgregor,
No, I'm not sure what you refer to when you mention the tax sales?
When an owner fails to pay property taxes for two or three years, the town can put the property up for sale to get the back taxes owed. Auctions are posted in the local paper of record. People bid on the property, and the proceeds pay for the taxes. Any amount bid above the amount owed is held by the town.

The property owner has one year from the date of auction to redeem the property by paying the back taxes. If he/she does not do so, the winning bidder assumes possession of the property (and of course pays that lapsed year's tax due). The town keeps the profit.

If the owner redeems the property, the town pays the winning bidder his bid money plus something along the lines of 12% interest.

Better properties are of course usually redeemed, but every now and then there's a diamond in the rough to be picked up.

It is the bidders' responsibility to find out of any detrimental aspects of the property, such as accessibility, other bills owed for town services (water, sewer, etc.), and so forth. These are on file with the town clerk or the lister's office, I believe. They become the burden of the new owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:38 PM

47 posts, read 62,058 times
So there is a one year grace period from when the auction occurs and when the bidder can take ownership of the property? What happens if the property is damaged or severely degraded during that year? Who assumes those damages?

Seems like there is potential for a good deal, but also potential to get screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
When an owner fails to pay property taxes for two or three years, the town can put the property up for sale to get the back taxes owed. Auctions are posted in the local paper of record. People bid on the property, and the proceeds pay for the taxes. Any amount bid above the amount owed is held by the town.

The property owner has one year from the date of auction to redeem the property by paying the back taxes. If he/she does not do so, the winning bidder assumes possession of the property (and of course pays that lapsed year's tax due). The town keeps the profit.

If the owner redeems the property, the town pays the winning bidder his bid money plus something along the lines of 12% interest.

Better properties are of course usually redeemed, but every now and then there's a diamond in the rough to be picked up.

It is the bidders' responsibility to find out of any detrimental aspects of the property, such as accessibility, other bills owed for town services (water, sewer, etc.), and so forth. These are on file with the town clerk or the lister's office, I believe. They become the burden of the new owner.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Default the year's delay

A lot of parties are interested in maintaining the value of the place during that year. The owner, for example, might continue to live in it; the bank holding the mortgage would want to make sure its investment is protected, neighbors will not want to have undesirable elements hanging around a vacant property, and so forth.

But if you want a bargain, you'll get a fixer-upper and do your own improvements. I know one family that got a house for less than the price of the bike the dad had bought when he was in college. They had to do a lot to rehab it, but they budgeted and never went into debt. Go thou and do likewise in Springfield!

Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 PM

23 posts, read 29,980 times
I thought I would chime in on this after reading a lot of this thread. I guess I'm a "boomerang" resident.

I moved here in 1999 (after growing up in CO and moving a lot of places before landing here), and it was definitely hard. Trying to find a house that met our needs was almost impossible, and we ended up building, and living temporarily over the state border in NY. We had a crooked contractor, a tough go, and when we finally moved into our new house the only neighbor we had greeted us with a "We grew up here, we have family and friends, and we don't need any new friends." when I went over to introduce myself (something I had been raised to do.) I don't mean this metaphorically, I mean that was literally the first thing out of their mouth.

I was lonely, the internet wasn't as much of a thing as it is now, and I felt on the outside - especially with a young child and another on the way. But wow, it sure was beautiful here - that made up for a lot. More, there was something worth noting about the people: sure, they didn't make a lot of eye contact and kept to themselves like they didn't want you around - but if you slid into a ditch or a had a flat tire? Strangers would practically line up to stop and help you. This was so opposite the vibes I was getting that it was hard to compute.

Going forward, having kids in school brought us more into the community (especially my husband, because the man is a joiner!) More, I found there were actually friendly people here, you just had to hang around long enough to get past the bizarre and misleading cold shoulder that really wasn't cold (ok, there are a few who are, but not the majority - although it could come off that way.) Also, they didn't get together all the time. It was normal to see a "friend" maybe once a season, but it was always good to see them.

We ended up leaving Vermont a few years ago. We left because it felt like we HAD to. Our kids were facing college, and the tuition is a nightmare in the NE. Taxes. Well, you know, taxes. We were told about the friendliness in other places, the better cost of living, and a grade A set of universities where a college degree cost less than ONE year at a lesser college up here. We moved because we felt like our back was against the wall and it was the best choice for the kids.

So, we moved to NC. Raleigh area. It's supposed to be a forward thinking, developing, "best places to live" sort of place. We built our dream home...Well, the house was our dream home, but the lot was in a neighborhood. Still, it was an amazing house, all shiny and lovely. And there were amenities - any store you can think of no farther than 25 minutes away at WORST, the closest like a Target was only 8 minutes. Healthcare was supposed to be better and more accessible and modernized.

And we were miserable. Moving out of Vermont was the worst decision we ever made. BUT, my parents followed me here and also to NC, and for them? It was the right decision. They need the suburban neighborhood and amenities. The healthcare is a joke there (not better at ALL, it's completely broken actually), but there is a lot of it and that's also good for them. Cost of living is definitely lower (my property tax was 0.6%, for example.) But the air was harder to breath, the community absent, the rush was go-go-go! And the drivers, good lord. And no one seemed to LIVE there. They were there, they were buying things, they were doing lots of activities, but... it was like watching a program play out, and it was missing the life. Not even any good sunsets.

We discovered we are absolutely country people. City and suburbia just isn't for us. I think that's an important distinction for anyone thinking of living here. Even if you're aiming for Burlington, it's NOT a real hopping city. The bustle isn't a bustle here. If that's something you need, you will be uncomfortable in Vermont.

We were lucky to be able to move back. We would have come back sooner, but the opportunity wasn't there. Coming back has been amazing. We were lucky enough to move back to our previous stomping grounds - and not much has changed (which is a blessing. In a bigger community things change so fast. When I visited back in Colorado way back when, just a year made everything almost unrecognizable.) We were welcomed back with open arms, phone calls, happy hugs and more. We were welcomed HOME, and it was the first time I have felt like I was home since we left.

I can look back and see where I didn't understand VT when I first moved here. I was brought up very west coast, and that has a different flavor. Also, I was young. But what Vermonters lack in that "on the surface sparkly" greeting of strangers and new residents, they make up for in spades beneath the surface with earnestness and quality. That neighbor that greeted me so poorly when I first moved here almost two decades ago? Living next to them, they still looked out for us and us them. We were never friends over at each other's houses for BBQ's because we didn't click that way - but even so, we always made sure the other was ok (snowstorms, kids, whatever.) And there are plenty of people we do click that way with, we just drive farther to see them. But then, that's sort of Vermont too, right? You gotta drive a ways to get what you need - so you make sure it is worth it.

For us, Vermont is worth it. It's home. It's home because it suits us, and we understand it. Maybe I grew up, maybe I just adapted to VT, maybe a bit of both. It's certainly not for everyone. For us, an amazing view with air we can breath and feeling at ease is better than a lower cost of living, flashy stores and cars, etc. You give up things (like much of anything being open after 8PM), and have to fight for others like even finding a house to start with - and some things may be deal-breakers depending on who you are. If someone was thinking about moving to Vermont, they should have a clear idea of what they value and see if it really aligns with here or not. Vermont sounds like a fairy tale on paper, and it's absolutely not. Vermont is just another place to live, and what it really should be about is finding where you fit and want to grow. It's not for everyone, and that's OK.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM

54 posts, read 166,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I am so sorry you had such an awful experience here. I can truly say I feel your pain.

I moved to VT voluntarily but have never been welcomed, really. I have a handful of friends, but never experienced the sense of community that was so highly touted and for which I had really hoped.
Biker53 and the few others here who sing Vermont's praises, are, in my opinion and experience, the exception rather than the norm.
I didn't violate any 'golden rule' about newcomers, brought skills for work, bought a home, kept up my property (and still do), pay my taxes (LOL) and try to participate in our local town government (I am a fiscal conservative and have even been called names for expressing the opinion that my town and this state should get a handle on its budget!)

My best experiences were during the few years I kept bees. VT beekeepers are the best people!! And of course, I have enjoyed the incredible beauty of the landscape and the seasons. But if I knew then what I know now, I would never have moved here.
I feel exactly the same as you do even the part about the beekeeper. I've lived in several regions and states of the U.S. and have never disliked a place more than Vermont.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 PM

54 posts, read 166,764 times
Winterwisp, While I don't share your optimism or affection for Vermont, that was a very thoughtful and interesting post

Old 11-21-2018, 03:58 AM

229 posts, read 316,835 times
ccgregor,
Thanks for all the informations. Very useful.

Winterwisp,
That was an amazing and also very useful post. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:16 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWhisp View Post
I thought I would chime in on this after reading a lot of this thread. I guess I'm a "boomerang" resident.

I moved here in 1999 (after growing up in CO and moving a lot of places before landing here), and it was definitely hard. Trying to find a house that met our needs was almost impossible, and we ended up building, and living temporarily over the state border in NY. We had a crooked contractor, a tough go, and when we finally moved into our new house the only neighbor we had greeted us with a "We grew up here, we have family and friends, and we don't need any new friends." when I went over to introduce myself (something I had been raised to do.) I don't mean this metaphorically, I mean that was literally the first thing out of their mouth.

I was lonely, the internet wasn't as much of a thing as it is now, and I felt on the outside - especially with a young child and another on the way. But wow, it sure was beautiful here - that made up for a lot. More, there was something worth noting about the people: sure, they didn't make a lot of eye contact and kept to themselves like they didn't want you around - but if you slid into a ditch or a had a flat tire? Strangers would practically line up to stop and help you. This was so opposite the vibes I was getting that it was hard to compute.

Going forward, having kids in school brought us more into the community (especially my husband, because the man is a joiner!) More, I found there were actually friendly people here, you just had to hang around long enough to get past the bizarre and misleading cold shoulder that really wasn't cold (ok, there are a few who are, but not the majority - although it could come off that way.) Also, they didn't get together all the time. It was normal to see a "friend" maybe once a season, but it was always good to see them.

We ended up leaving Vermont a few years ago. We left because it felt like we HAD to. Our kids were facing college, and the tuition is a nightmare in the NE. Taxes. Well, you know, taxes. We were told about the friendliness in other places, the better cost of living, and a grade A set of universities where a college degree cost less than ONE year at a lesser college up here. We moved because we felt like our back was against the wall and it was the best choice for the kids.

So, we moved to NC. Raleigh area. It's supposed to be a forward thinking, developing, "best places to live" sort of place. We built our dream home...Well, the house was our dream home, but the lot was in a neighborhood. Still, it was an amazing house, all shiny and lovely. And there were amenities - any store you can think of no farther than 25 minutes away at WORST, the closest like a Target was only 8 minutes. Healthcare was supposed to be better and more accessible and modernized.

And we were miserable. Moving out of Vermont was the worst decision we ever made. BUT, my parents followed me here and also to NC, and for them? It was the right decision. They need the suburban neighborhood and amenities. The healthcare is a joke there (not better at ALL, it's completely broken actually), but there is a lot of it and that's also good for them. Cost of living is definitely lower (my property tax was 0.6%, for example.) But the air was harder to breath, the community absent, the rush was go-go-go! And the drivers, good lord. And no one seemed to LIVE there. They were there, they were buying things, they were doing lots of activities, but... it was like watching a program play out, and it was missing the life. Not even any good sunsets.

We discovered we are absolutely country people. City and suburbia just isn't for us. I think that's an important distinction for anyone thinking of living here. Even if you're aiming for Burlington, it's NOT a real hopping city. The bustle isn't a bustle here. If that's something you need, you will be uncomfortable in Vermont.

We were lucky to be able to move back. We would have come back sooner, but the opportunity wasn't there. Coming back has been amazing. We were lucky enough to move back to our previous stomping grounds - and not much has changed (which is a blessing. In a bigger community things change so fast. When I visited back in Colorado way back when, just a year made everything almost unrecognizable.) We were welcomed back with open arms, phone calls, happy hugs and more. We were welcomed HOME, and it was the first time I have felt like I was home since we left.

I can look back and see where I didn't understand VT when I first moved here. I was brought up very west coast, and that has a different flavor. Also, I was young. But what Vermonters lack in that "on the surface sparkly" greeting of strangers and new residents, they make up for in spades beneath the surface with earnestness and quality. That neighbor that greeted me so poorly when I first moved here almost two decades ago? Living next to them, they still looked out for us and us them. We were never friends over at each other's houses for BBQ's because we didn't click that way - but even so, we always made sure the other was ok (snowstorms, kids, whatever.) And there are plenty of people we do click that way with, we just drive farther to see them. But then, that's sort of Vermont too, right? You gotta drive a ways to get what you need - so you make sure it is worth it.

For us, Vermont is worth it. It's home. It's home because it suits us, and we understand it. Maybe I grew up, maybe I just adapted to VT, maybe a bit of both. It's certainly not for everyone. For us, an amazing view with air we can breath and feeling at ease is better than a lower cost of living, flashy stores and cars, etc. You give up things (like much of anything being open after 8PM), and have to fight for others like even finding a house to start with - and some things may be deal-breakers depending on who you are. If someone was thinking about moving to Vermont, they should have a clear idea of what they value and see if it really aligns with here or not. Vermont sounds like a fairy tale on paper, and it's absolutely not. Vermont is just another place to live, and what it really should be about is finding where you fit and want to grow. It's not for everyone, and that's OK.
I truly appreciate your thoughtful comments. I, too, have explored 'south,' but the fast pace and overcrowding is definitely a turn off (for me), although God knows, I do appreciate having SOME shopping However, I did find people friendly and that is very attractive to me.
I'm curious - Did you return to VT to retire or are you still working? I'm getting ready to retire myself and mulling over many things in my exhausted brain. Thanks again very much for sharing your experience.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:35 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
ShankWheat…..Happy Thanksgiving.....
Are you still IN Vermont?
When I realize it's been 15 years since I moved here and I still feel like I am a square peg trying to fit in to a round hole, I can't help but think 'it's me.' And in some ways, that is very true. In other ways, though, it is just a fact that VT is not that welcoming of a place (or it wasn't for us) but as WinterWhisp alludes to, it's a different dynamic. People will rise the to occasion to help one another if someone is in need, but don't expect a hello or a wave, or to be buddy-buddy with neighbors (if you have neighbors). I think I've posted my experience to 'warn' others who might consider moving here, but maybe it is for them to figure out and make their best decision. When I arrived, we'd sold everything in CA and there was nowhere really to go back to (I didn't want to go back there! and still don't)…..
I've even sought counseling around my VT experience, which is kind of sad, since I have been - and still generally am - a very happy person. ?? It's a puzzling matter, but then, I am fairly social and like being part of an engaging group (of anything!). Isolation has not been good for me. As I get ready to retire, all of this has come up again. I will probably feel better once I have my freedom and can choose what I want to do each day and I will likely find a hiking group or similar activity. I think I can work it out, but am still not certain I will stay.

Best to you and yours this holiday~

Old 11-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Dissatisfaction with one's environment is not peculiar to Vermont. I think a whole lot of people expect that they are to be recipients of all the benefits of life-- beautiful vistas, friendly and accommodating townspeople, mild climate and so forth-- and never think of life as an expedition, a challenge that tests their abilities to figure out how to identify and overcome all the obstacles in their desire to reach the life they desire. As a spectator sport, life in Vermont can be very disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont