Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Vermont: find a job, doublewide, law enforcement, health insurance, budget.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM

894 posts, read 1,566,306 times

Advertisements

Don't expect to find someone in VT state government to call to come pick up your Christmas tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:12 PM

986 posts, read 2,340,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Don't expect to find someone in VT state government to call to come pick up your Christmas tree.
I imagine you're allowed to burn them up there. Down here... not so much. It was supposed to be picked on our regular trash day, but 2 cycles went by and they weren't picked up.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:05 PM

166 posts, read 442,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I imagine you're allowed to burn them up there. Down here... not so much. It was supposed to be picked on our regular trash day, but 2 cycles went by and they weren't picked up.
Municipal trash pickup is basically nonexistent in Vermont. People in rural areas haul there trash to the dump themselves usually. When I lived on the Champlain Islands they wanted some ridiculous fee for curbside trash pickup. You would buy stickers to put on your garbage bags. I think it was like 3 or 4 dollars for one bag and they actually charged 2 dollars to pick up a recycling bin. Who charges to pick up recycling? I just put everything in one bag and into my dumpster at work in Burlington.

Christmas trees are usually burned in the rural areas. They aren't kidding when they say went up like a christmas tree as I burned a few of mine. When I lived in Burlington the public works did pick up christmas trees as they used them as fuel in the wood fueled power plant.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 765 times
This is a great place to live, but it is expensive. I feel there is general respect and appreciation for the state police.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question that might be a little difficult to answer. I'm hoping someone can help me out a little bit.

I am considering a career with the Vermont State Police. I know how much they are paid, but I'm wondering how their pay is versus the cost of living. Obviously, the average person probably couldn't tell me how the VSP pay scale works, but how is a Trooper's "quality of life" compared to an average person with an average job?

As an example, in the state that I currently live in, a Trooper is lucky if he can afford to buy a doublewide. There are very few Troopers that can afford to own a house.

I think I would be better off in Vermont in the long run, but I want to do my homework before I leave the job that I have had for the last 10 years.

While I have you here, what is the public's perception of the Vermont State Police? I'm sure I'll get all sorts of interesting answers!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
VT in general is unaffordable for the average person.
Staties here are cool though. Much cooler than city cops, i.e. no chip on their shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont