Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 15,990 times

Advertisements

It will be I, my wife, 6 yr. old daughter, and 11 year old stepson. We have 2 new vehicles, very low CC bills, Sallie Mae loan from college; already have the ATV, mowers, etc.
We would be looking at purchasing some land (1 acre), and getting a simple modular (2000 sq. ft.). We don't require the high dollar living arrangements, we are humble folks!
I am a police officer, and she will need to work in the medical field, or something along the lines of office work related.
We make it on what we earn now. Neither of us has hardly any money left over after our bills are paid. We still manage to go out to eat, put the kids in Levi, Old Navy and Gap clothes, go to movies, go to Super cross or Arena cross events...etc. We budget quite well.
Of course, the more you make, the more you will spend. That is usually the American way. If I made 75G per year, I would probably drive a Hummer; have a boat, and a season pass for the family to go skiing!
So, should we move? I hail from Upstate New York, so I am accustomed to taxes on everything already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 PM

122 posts, read 459,239 times
It sounds like you'll need to buy land in the outskirts of the more "urban" areas of VT to find an acre with a 2000sq.ft. modular. My husband and I have been looking into land and building a modular (Vermont Modular Homes is who we've boon looking at), and it isn't THAT cheap, once you factor in everything that needs to be done. Anyway, if you're willing to look outside of Chittenden County, you'll have better luck, for sure. It also depends on how far you're willing to drive to work. It will be tight, I bet, living on your salaries, and I'm just speaking from personal experience. But you're totally right~if you have it, you'll spend it.

So, what's drawing you to VT anyway? Another poster had some advice that I'm sure he'll chime in with, and that's to rent before you buy. I know for us (2 kids and 2 dogs) that would be tough, but you might want to think about it before you take the plunge into building, just to make sure you're able to make it work.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM

198 posts, read 803,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splintercell View Post
It will be I, my wife, 6 yr. old daughter, and 11 year old stepson. We have 2 new vehicles, very low CC bills, Sallie Mae loan from college; already have the ATV, mowers, etc.
We would be looking at purchasing some land (1 acre), and getting a simple modular (2000 sq. ft.). We don't require the high dollar living arrangements, we are humble folks!
I am a police officer, and she will need to work in the medical field, or something along the lines of office work related.
We make it on what we earn now. Neither of us has hardly any money left over after our bills are paid. We still manage to go out to eat, put the kids in Levi, Old Navy and Gap clothes, go to movies, go to Super cross or Arena cross events...etc. We budget quite well.
Of course, the more you make, the more you will spend. That is usually the American way. If I made 75G per year, I would probably drive a Hummer; have a boat, and a season pass for the family to go skiing!
So, should we move? I hail from Upstate New York, so I am accustomed to taxes on everything already!
For my family...we are counting the days to get out of here. But you have to make that choice for yourself. We are leaving due to high taxes (including the ever-increasing education taxes), the overall liberal mindset/legislators and the fact that my body with the extreme cold is not good. If those are things that are not an issue for you...then welcome.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 15,990 times
Default The Draw

I was born and raised in the North Country of NY. I could be in Canada, through customs, in 20 minutes.
I have lived in TN for about 8 years and to be honest with you, I am fed up and tired of all the fast paced (living close to Memphis) lifestyle, all the crime that pours out of that city; rapes, murder, drugs (a bunch), gangs (a bunch X2), etc.
I want to move back close to home, but not next door to the family-if you can understand that.
I want my family to experience the joys I had upon growing up a Yankee. The snowy Christmases, skiing, mountain climbing, riding snowmobiles, just the childhood fun of building a simple snowman. My kids have seen snow 2-3 times in the past 5 years. They wanted to play in it so bad, but we only got a dusting this year.
My dad thinks I am nuts to want to move back, my mom says yes, along with my older siblings. Not to mention, I have missed the last 8 years of my nieces, siblings, and parent’s lives…those years are gone forever now.
So I have been hunting for land, modular homes, etc., for over a year now. I think I may take some plans from Crest Homes/Milton Homes, have them built in Canada, and then shipped to VT if and when we move. With the current exchange rate, we look to save over 12G on about 125G. With the selling of our home (which we have a buyer already), we look at putting about 20-25G as a down payment.
Who knows what the future holds. When I moved to Memphis, I had a new g/f, a conditional offer of employment, my ‘94 faded Toyota P/U, no money, a U-haul full of my belongings, and no idea how I was going to survive. In fact, I lived in a motel for two weeks and ate cold cut sandwiches for B/L/D!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:45 PM

122 posts, read 459,239 times
Well, you've certainly been doing you research, haven't you!! A co-worker of my husband's bought a modular in Canada and loves it. Some of the companies around here, actually do have them manufactured in Canada and shipped here to be set up by their own or more local guys. Anyway, so you're familiar with the seasons and temps and sound like you are quite outdoorsy, which is a good characteristic for living in VT! I'd recommend continuing the research into commute times, SCHOOLS, land prices and tax rates. When were you thinking about making the move? Oh, and another thing to think about (living out in the country) is driving your kids to school (maybe) but practices, friend's houses, b-day parties, any social gatherings that may not be right down the street, you know? Just a thought.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,989,620 times
Not to be a wet blanket, but I really cannot see you
making this plan come to fruition on your income. As
I read your post above, you guys have a few more expenses
than we do with the new cars, ATV's etc, and we cannot make
it on 60K. I even ride a bicycle to work !! Really !
If you have a driving desire to live here, RENT FIRST !!!
There are sooooo many unexpected expenses I cannot begin
to list them. Think about fuel prices if you heat by oil.... Think
about your commute to work at 3.50 per gallon.....registering new
cars when you get here can be expensive if you dont have the
correct paperwork....Flood insurance, etc...Food is very expensive...
Will your new house require work after the winter as a lot of houses
here do...If you rent here for a year and survive then think about
building / owning. I just cannot see working your neat plan for a
nice Vermont home as VT. is right now. Again, sorry to be a buzzkill,
just trying to be realistic. If you might be interested in a nice 1890's
VT. Salt Box, original Proctor home in the highly desirable town of
Proctor I can help you out

Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,481,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTeratheart View Post
Well, you've certainly been sound like you are quite outdoorsy, which is a good characteristic for living in VT!.
True as Alot of places of work give you the first day of hunting season off instead of Labor day. LOL This is true. Lucky SOB's When I lived there that was 1 good perk.Opening day and I didn't have to call in sick lol.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 AM

198 posts, read 803,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
True as Alot of places of work give you the first day of hunting season off instead of Labor day. LOL This is true. Lucky SOB's When I lived there that was 1 good perk.Opening day and I didn't have to call in sick lol.
I have never heard of such a thing. Where did you work?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:42 PM

124 posts, read 642,946 times
A reality-check is in order here....

Splintercell,

If you and your significant other make in the 30's per year each, you have a total combined annual income somewhere in between the 60k's to near 80k. That is significantly above the average annual income of most Vermonters ! Many VT'ers would be envious of this kind of income indeed.
Unlike what my friends here on this thread have said, you can live JUST FINE on this, even with a couple of kids, if you do not:

Live in Burlington's most affluent areas--e.g.: Shelburne, So. B, Jericho. These communities are more like suburban Boston and NYC than they are like the "real" VT.

Have unrealistic (read: materialistic) lifestyles for the VT mindset--i.e., drive a luxury vehicle, want a McMansion-proportioned home, want a second-home in Europe or the Caribbean; you get what I am saying.

While you may not live extravangantly in the Burlington area, you can live, in most other parts of the state, particularly the Northeast Kingdom, very nicely indeed and far from poverty! Most folks in the more rural parts of VT do nicely on two-thirds of what you make. BTW, I am not speaking of the overwhelming majority of "family of four" VT'ers who struggle to meet their bills on half of what you earn; their situation is different than yours and you may count yourself lucky as your 60's to near 80k of salary will carry you better-than-fine, if not in luxury.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM

124 posts, read 642,946 times
Splintercell:

Just curious; have you thought about moving back to the Adirondacks, (and not too close to your realtives ;?) You can live like a KING on 65k, 75k, whatever it is that you actually earn. You can live along Lake Champlain and commute to Burlington, if you had to.

What say?

Pidget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont