Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,927 times

Advertisements

I would like an honest opinion about relocating to Vermont. In particular, it may be in the South Burlington, or Northfield area. I am not interested in the "social" or "political" views or opinions, because they seem to be where ever you go. In fact, I have lived in a couple of different states, making only mid 30's, and the taxes and complaints have always been the same. My wife and I both earn in the 30's, so we have grown accustomed to the income. Any GOOD ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
All politics aside, at that rate of pay, I would avoid moving into the state. Twenty years ago, it might have worked. Now, you would be living hand to mouth when you could be living comfortably elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:36 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,985,441 times
Read the many, many posts on this subject that are already
here.
We are making 60K between us and have gone broke.
We are leaving as soon as our house sells.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 AM

110 posts, read 474,252 times
There are too many unknowns to just make a blanket statement with the facts that you have given. If I read correctly you make 60k to 70k between the two of you?

Do you have kids, do you have money for a down payment on a house, what about other debt obligations etc?

Do you have employer provided health insurance? The questions are endless, it just depends on so many things.

Read any personal finance book, magazine or similar source and you will find examples of people with your income and less that get by just fine in most locations and you will find many examples of people that make several times what you make that are in financial dire straits.

That being said, if you really want to move to Vermont it can be done easily on your income IF all your personal finances are in order and your spending habits are somewhat frugal.

People always talk about incomes, but that is only half of the equation. Spending habits can often more than offset additional income. Oftentimes lifestyle accounts for, and has a larger effect on personal finance than income and/or location.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:37 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,011 times
What are you looking for in a community?
South Burlington is nice. It's a suburban community that is home to a mall, lots of hotels, the airport, etc. There are lots of condos and housing developments. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the state.
Northfield on the other hand is a small town and home to Norwich University. YOu are close to the Barre/Montpelier area for your shopping needs.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
There are too many unknowns to just make a blanket statement with the facts that you have given. If I read correctly you make 60k to 70k between the two of you?

Do you have kids, do you have money for a down payment on a house, what about other debt obligations etc?

Do you have employer provided health insurance? The questions are endless, it just depends on so many things.

Read any personal finance book, magazine or similar source and you will find examples of people with your income and less that get by just fine in most locations and you will find many examples of people that make several times what you make that are in financial dire straits.

That being said, if you really want to move to Vermont it can be done easily on your income IF all your personal finances are in order and your spending habits are somewhat frugal.

People always talk about incomes, but that is only half of the equation. Spending habits can often more than offset additional income. Oftentimes lifestyle accounts for, and has a larger effect on personal finance than income and/or location.
Thanks. As two very educated people we would have never
known any of this stuff.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 AM

110 posts, read 474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Thanks. As two very educated people we would have never
known any of this stuff.
Actually, this was directed to splintercell, trying to find out THEIR situation in a little more detail, since they had asked the questions.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 AM

122 posts, read 458,809 times
I agree with colomonter. There are many factors to be considered, including what kind of lifestyle you choose to live on that 60K. There's going to be a big difference (in housing especially) in whether you choose to live in Northfield or South Burlington. The latter being much more suburban. If you can tell us a little more info about yourself and what, more specifically, you're looking for in a move to VT, we can try to help you out!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,840 times
splintercell - Different parts of the State are as different as various states are. Housing prices, both rentals and purchase prices also vary quite dramatically (I'm a Realtor). If you can give us specific questions and a sense of how you like to spend time and what your families interests are, we can be of more help.

There are also quite a few very informative posts in the threads here - perhaps you'd have a look at the What's So Great About VT thread for starters.

Here's just a thumbnail sketch of why The Greater Burlington Area is appealing to so many of us: (Central VT would have a related list)

Vibrant arts and cultural offerings far out of proportion to our size
Climate
Proximity to Montreal, Boston and NYC
Lake Champlain
Nearby bikepaths, ski areas, hiking, boating etc
Vitality of local food/agriculture/microbusiness climate
Locals shops and downtowns have withstood pressure from box stores
(Church St. Marketplace is an example)
Tradition of civic/political participation (citizen legislature, town meeting)

...for starters

Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
Actually, this was directed to splintercell, trying to find out THEIR situation in a little more detail, since they had asked the questions.
I apologise...
Shouldnt have gone flatlander so quicky. Sorry

My Wife is Mastered in a few areas of education and the
highest paying district in VT. pays about 15K less at her level
than any other state other then, lets say, West Virginia.
My field is technically related and pays about 1/2 of what it would
down south...I guess what I should have elaborated is that to be safe
you need to knock 10K-12k off of whatever you are making currently
when figuring a budget for VT. If you are subsisting on 60K now as the
OP suggested, I would count on budgeting 40K for VT. We made 100K
in Pa and are trying to get by on 60K here but just cant do it. But,
as you suggested, WE have a college tuition and mortgage(small, though)
to account for, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont