Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 PM

198 posts, read 801,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
A reality-check is in order here....

Splintercell,

If you and your significant other make in the 30's per year each, you have a total combined annual income somewhere in between the 60k's to near 80k. That is significantly above the average annual income of most Vermonters ! Many VT'ers would be envious of this kind of income indeed.
Unlike what my friends here on this thread have said, you can live JUST FINE on this, even with a couple of kids, if you do not:

Live in Burlington's most affluent areas--e.g.: Shelburne, So. B, Jericho. These communities are more like suburban Boston and NYC than they are like the "real" VT.

Have unrealistic (read: materialistic) lifestyles for the VT mindset--i.e., drive a luxury vehicle, want a McMansion-proportioned home, want a second-home in Europe or the Caribbean; you get what I am saying.

While you may not live extravangantly in the Burlington area, you can live, in most other parts of the state, particularly the Northeast Kingdom, very nicely indeed and far from poverty! Most folks in the more rural parts of VT do nicely on two-thirds of what you make. BTW, I am not speaking of the overwhelming majority of "family of four" VT'ers who struggle to meet their bills on half of what you earn; their situation is different than yours and you may count yourself lucky as your 60's to near 80k of salary will carry you better-than-fine, if not in luxury.
"Luxury"....I would not agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM

43 posts, read 177,539 times
Very interesting reading these threads, as my husband and I are considering moving to the Burlington area in 3 years. It's our "3 year plan" our son will be just out of HS and our girls will be young enough, 6th & 4 th grades that they'll adjust fine, after the expected tears. I obviously have tons of time to do research, which I will. My husband has apparently a well paid job (well for VT, but around the area we live here in SE PA it's on the low end!) earning over $130K, plus bonuses which are expected to be min $5-10K. His employer pays 100% of our families health insurance, he can work from home, virturally anywhere as long as there's an airport and highway access nearby, both of which Burlington has. So I'm quite happy to hear, despite the astronomical taxes, we just might be able to survive on our income! I was truly wondering what one needed to earn in order to live a 'comfortable' life. We're not at all McMansion people at all, hate the style actually. We'd be happiest spending all our money skiing every winter and having a cozy house with a REAL woodburning fireplace to cozy up to all winter long.
I'm looking forward to the many posts I'll be reading for the next few years.
We're vacationing on Lake Champlain this summer in Colchester, I'm looking forward to seeing what the area has to offer.
We've been to almost every ski mountain in VT, Brattleboro (we love that town, just too South for us), Bennington, among many others and love everything about the state, well except of course the taxes and the liberal mindset (we're Republican's) but we're willing to compromise....

Keep the info coming....

Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Welcome Skivino. In about three to four years I will probably be selling and who knows our place might be just what you will be looking for (2550 sq ft with 10.5 acres) just 4 miles from the CVU high school. The nice thing about the area is that we are just 15 to 17 miles from S. Burl/Burlington for work and the ski areas Mad River 15 mi, Sugarbush 18 mi, and Stowe 30 miles away. For recreation and scenery the area is great. Good luck with your research.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 PM

43 posts, read 177,539 times
Thank you flu. And if we didn't have young children it is just what we'd want!!
Oh to be so close to our favorite mountains.. Mad River and Suguarbush, a dream! But with children we've already figured we want to be close to houses for all the reasons that come with having children, friends, parties etc. It just makes life a bit easier. The nice thing about VT, the beauty is right around the corner.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 15,883 times
Talking Real Estate

Funny thing I read a day or so ago...

There was a Circa 1860's or so home for sale that was listed as the following: must sell, condemned, partial fire destroyed corner of home, blah-blah-blah, buy now and salvage many antique fixtures, etc. (Don't quote me on the exact phrases!) This place was a DUMP. It was listed at $239,000 or some astronomical amount. I thought it was a joke, $2,390 per se. I refreshed my IE7 about 4 times to see if something was wrong-man, was I wrong. I would rather spend 13 weeks back in my old barracks in Ft. Leonard Wood that even look at that hole again.

Somebody has spent far too long in those green mountains to ask a ridiculous price like that.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM

124 posts, read 641,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
"Luxury"....I would not agree with that.
Pucabear:

Re-read my post. I said "...better than fine, if not in luxury."

This means NOT in luxury.

Welcome to America. We have night schools that teach English to foreigners. Sign up for a class; you'll be glad you did.

Pidge

Old 04-16-2007, 06:41 PM

198 posts, read 801,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
Pucabear:

Re-read my post. I said "...better than fine, if not in luxury."

This means NOT in luxury.

Welcome to America. We have night schools that teach English to foreigners. Sign up for a class; you'll be glad you did.

Pidge
Wow, that was rude! And honestly your quote does not mean what you intended. I am an American, also a teacher.....que pasa?

Last edited by pucabear; 04-16-2007 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 04:28 PM

124 posts, read 641,489 times
Hi Pucabear:

I can get a little intense at times, so I must apologize to you, if I offended. My intent was to correct your implication that what I said was not written in clear and grammatically correct English. Again, sorry for the over-reaction, to which I admit being unduly harsh, nasty and inappropriate.

If you would, please correct my statement, since I do pride myself in writing in a literate style. How should I have written this?

Just curious and will call the subject closed; i.e., my grammar, not this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont