Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,105,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Texas is HOT! I spend a little time there about 10 years ago. I offered to help the people I was staying with clean the leaves and stuff off their roof. It was pushing 100 on the ground. The roof had to be 120. It was also like 80% humidity. This was Houston, closer to the ocean than much of Texas, but it was unbearable. No one spent much time outside on those days, unless they were in the shade.

I was just outside here in Providence. It's hot, about 95, but the humidity isn't that bad right now, which was surprising. Hopefully this will be the hottest day of the summer.
I hear you. What good is a house or whatever if you're a prisoner in the humidity? Here it breaks after a bit. Even in NY we had breaks in the heat just like you must in RI. At least in places near an ocean you can go to the beach or get sea breezes. I get a little nutty being landlocked without the sea around. I mean mountains are nice and pretty but I do miss the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,563,119 times
The ocean is nice but I honestly wouldn't want to live by it. I'd get paranoid about tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. As it is I could spend a day visiting the ocean in NH or ME, through I rarely do...

Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM

986 posts, read 2,338,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hear you. What good is a house or whatever if you're a prisoner in the humidity? Here it breaks after a bit. Even in NY we had breaks in the heat just like you must in RI. At least in places near an ocean you can go to the beach or get sea breezes. I get a little nutty being landlocked without the sea around. I mean mountains are nice and pretty but I do miss the ocean.
Funny thing about RI. I live half an hour from the beach. We've got the bay, which offers a breeze, but it doesn't make it to where I am in the city. I almost wish we had our AC in the window, but I'm holding out until mid-June at the earliest. Luckily, the guest room downstairs is 10 degrees cooler, though it's not much when you consider my bedroom is 93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The ocean is nice but I honestly wouldn't want to live by it. I'd get paranoid about tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. As it is I could spend a day visiting the ocean in NH or ME, through I rarely do...
Eh, no tsunamis around here. Hurricanes have gotten rarer, but we still get tropical storms. It's not terrible if you live on higher ground and away from the immediate coast.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Eh, no tsunamis around here. Hurricanes have gotten rarer, but we still get tropical storms. It's not terrible if you live on higher ground and away from the immediate coast.
It's not "likely" in our lifetimes but it's possible...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/nyregion/03wave.html

Of course on a mountain overlooking the ocean wouldn't be too bad...

But come to think of it, gypsysoul could take a small boat from Lake Champlain to the ocean if she lived near there...not that I would try it myself...

Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 PM

986 posts, read 2,338,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's not "likely" in our lifetimes but it's possible...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/nyregion/03wave.html

Of course on a mountain overlooking the ocean wouldn't be too bad...

But come to think of it, gypsysoul could take a small boat from Lake Champlain to the ocean if she lived near there...not that I would try it myself...
That'd be a long boatride!

There aren't too many mountains overlooking the ocean in the east. You gotta go west for that.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 PM

914 posts, read 2,926,750 times
It's interesting about hurricanes. If you look at the NOAA site, it shows you where every hurricane has occurred for the past 100 years. In the early-to-mid part of the 20th century, most of the hurricanes were on the eastern seaboard, or around Florida. Later in the century, they were primarliy located in the Carribean/Gulf Coast. I have no idea why this is, but I imagine it has something to do with changes in ocean currents.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,960,001 times
That or ocean temperatures. I dunno. I was just thinking about this thread as I closed a few windows in the house and put on a sweatshirt. Pretty nice evening temps in the low 60s here.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,671,044 times
Hurricanes and tsunamis can be a scary thing, but they are not that bad if you have ever lived through one. In the south (Florida specifically) is very organized when it comes to hurricanes. There are shelters, evacuation zones as well as evacuation levels depending on how severe the storm is. When you watch the news and you hear about people getting killed, the people who die are not following the proper precautions for the most part or they are staying in a hazardous zone. We were in Florida a few years ago when they got hammered. We were a little nervous at first, but follow the recommendations and everything is smooth. I grew up in Ct and we would get a hurricane every few years. The most dangerous part of the storm was when the eye of the storm would pass. Peoplw would think the storm was over and they would venture out to see the damage.
We get natural disasters here as well, we just don't pay attention to them as much. The ice storm made big news for the massive damage that happened, but the loss of life that happened did not get as much airtime. The same thing happened. People went out when the roads were horrible and with trees encrusted in huge amounts of ice and some people lost their lives in accidents or falling limbs and trees.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,290,098 times
Anyone else get crazy thunderstoms last night? Lots of tree damage around this neck of the woods. Power came back on around 6am.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 AM

Well after that thunderstorm it wasn't too hot last night...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont