Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times

Advertisements

On a Steam related note (I'm talking about Steam? Say it ain't so!), if you play games on Steam, it saves your games to the "Steam Cloud". The Steam Cloud is basically a back-up of the game files, so if your hard drive were to fail and you were half way through a game, you could get a new hard drive and download your game from Steam and be at the same point where you left off. That is a huge reason for many people to go with Steam over a physical copy. I own over 100 games on Steam, yikes! So of course I'll be a fanboy of it hahaha.

The Steam Summer Sale is pretty good so far, but the last day or two I haven't really seen any games I wanted. The discounts are alright, but not the best. Sometimes you can snag a game for 66% - 80% off. Remember that when the sale ends, they'll have an encore of every game that went on sale at the discount it was at - It ends on July 22 (which one would assume is encore day).

If you purchase from an outside website, such as Greenmangaming, make sure the DRM is Steam. Kudos to Chris for mentioning HumbleBundle, they've had some amazing deals, and it's a pay-what-you-want website. Lately though they kind of went south on the games they are bundling. I hope the PC sales kick up, after I got this current computer, I have completely turned into a PC gamer and probably won't buy a console ever again unless something dramatic happens.

If you're an old-school gamer (N64, hell yeah!), you can also check out GOG.com for old PC games (gog stands for good old games).

I forgot to mention this but you'll have a huge mod community at your finger tips, unlike console. Mods can make the game so much fun, and you can develop your own too. Cheating is easier, and usually you'll have more cheats on PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I remember when I played games on my PC. I also remember the constant outflow of money required to keep up with the latest needs for the games.

My PlayStation 3 hasn't required a single monetary outlay for upgrading since I bought it.
Well, i'm not sure I see non-expansion as a "benefit"

So I too have had a ps3 for a long time. Yes its true, you don't have to spend money to upgrade it (or can't)

Yet on the PC front I bought a computer. . .I don't know 3-4 years ago. I then added a SSD drive and a new graphics card. . .at a reasonable price that will put my 3-4 year old pc pretty damn close (if not superior) than an xbox one at a far lower cost.

You never "have" to upgrade a PC, it is a choice.

This coming from a guy who owns a PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

I would never consider a Nintendo system, btw. It should be shot in the head right now. I mean yeah, if you want a sunken ship with non-high def graphics. . and their new system all the 3rd party publishers are bailing faster than rats with boats.

Stick to PC - PS3 - Xbox 360

Oh one more PC thing I love - no discs. I really hate having one disc that may stop working at some future point. On PC you have these digiital games and never have to worry about it. Hell I can travel to my parents, load up steam on their computer, sign in and start playing my games.

That is Bad Arse.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Oh one more PC thing I love - no discs.
To be fair, xbox live does offer digital downloads of games. However, PC offers a lot more games and they get discounted very often.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Since this is for you and your daughter go with either current gen WII U, PS3 or Xbox 360. If you prefer to wait, go with a PS4, so much value for the money. You would need two pcs to enjoy the majority of multiplayer games on PC, and the games on the PC are not as varied.

Since I have a PS3, I can comment on it's store. There are hundreds of games available to purchase for PS3 on its store, including some classics from PS and PS2. On the PS4 all games will be available on the store, and you can become a PS + member for $50 bucks a year for access to dozens of free games and highly discounted games.

I play on PC and PS3, and all these staunch PC guys are just trying to push their agenda. On consoles you can share one screen, two controllers, one copy of the game and never need to upgrade until nearly a decade later for the next system. As others pointed out, they upgrade their PC every few years, as do I. These upgrades come in the form of a new monitor, additional memory, larger/faster hard drive, new video cards and other peripheral equipment.

If all you are looking to is game, perhaps stream Netflix than a console is the way to go.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Momotaro makes a valid point by suggesting the PS4 as it represents a tremendous value and should probably hold you over for another 15 years. If you want access to the wonderful Mario Kart 8 which will probably ship early next year you may even want to consider the Wii U.

Although I'm a pretty serious gamer I usually make it a point to pick up a casual-friendly Nintendo console because I love having access to all their wonder IP's like Mario and Zelda.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
all these staunch PC guys are just trying to push their agenda
Excuse us, we were only responding to the OP and giving our answer on what we thought was a gaming system that he should get. PC's have the advantage, I'm sorry. Have you seen the massive amount of user and publisher mods that games have? If you own Skyrim for a console, you're losing out on a ton of great mods made by the very people who play the game. There is also a console command cheat to port into a room that has every item in the game. Can you do that on console?

Your point is valid on the two player situation though, but computers do have USB ports, and they sell USB controllers. Hook in two controllers and have a decent size monitor, and there you have it.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
And the OP is just as confused as they were at post #1...

I'll post just once more.

I've been gaming since the Commodore 64. I've been through the Atari series, from the 400 through the 2600, Nintendo, Wii, PS3, and enough PCs to accommodate everyone on this forum.

I play games on the PS3.

I'm not going to flat out tell you it's the best, or even better, than a PC for games.

But it is simpler...

The problem comes down to your comfort level. Download games or buy a disc. Upgrade a PC when it's required, and do not believe that you won't need to. Game producers aren't sitting on their hands when it comes to graphics and game play. Expect to upgrade at least the video card.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM

239 posts, read 618,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
Okay the last thing I had was a Nintendo 64 *waiting for smart comments* LOL! So I'm considering getting something but now there's just too many options.

1. XBox 360
2. Playstation
3. Wii

Are there any other consoles out there now other than these? So which one should I get...
For what its worth, I bought an Vbox 360 last year, and I now regret not getting the PS3 instead. There are several really cool games avail on PS only that arent avail on Xbox.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM

218 posts, read 362,429 times
Okay I've read through everyone's responses (which I appreciate!!!). I think I've narrowed it down to either a PC or PS4. I'm going to do more research on Steam, GOG and other sites mentioned by everyone and take into consideration my budget and types of games available that are age appropriate for my daughter.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
Okay I've read through everyone's responses (which I appreciate!!!). I think I've narrowed it down to either a PC or PS4. I'm going to do more research on Steam, GOG and other sites mentioned by everyone and take into consideration my budget and types of games available that are age appropriate for my daughter.
The two most important factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games