Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

One of my college friends is so addicted to World of Warcraft that he plays non stop averaging 20 hours per day. He has even stopped going to class, stopped hanging with his friends (including me), and does absolutely nothing but play WoW all day. He still makes time for his girlfriend on weekends but I am wondering how long that will last. I have tried to play WoW 3 times but just could not see what all the fuss is about.

How many hours is normal to average playing WoW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Spending 20 hours in one day doing anything is not healthy. I hope that you urge your friend to seek counseling for help dealing with what is truly an addiction. There should be free counseling options available to you on campus.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 AM

170 posts, read 477,251 times
It's not only WoW, it's all online games. They're like crack. My best friend was so addicted to Final Fantasy online, that his family and marriage was torn over. I'm a gamer and always played occasionally...but then he also got me into Final fantasy online. Holy crap, it was seriously like drugs. I spent two months with barely any sleep. I worked during the day and at night played the game for hours and hours for 2 months. I then went on deployment....my wife asked me about the game and I just told her to cancel my subscription. Had it not been for that deployment, I fear I would have had the same fate as my best bud!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,164 times
I played World of Warcraft occasionally throughout a 2 month period of time and meh... I started to get really bored and I still don't understand how people can get so addicted to such a dull (<60) game.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,357 times
I was in the same boat as other people who find WOW boring...then I started playing. I like video and online games as much as the next person but there's just something different about WOW...it is like serious drugs. I can totally see why hubby was like an addict every now and then...so now hubby and I play...we do take the time to stop for dinner or anything else but overall we play about 4 hours a night. We both still have jobs to go to and I definitely will not put a halt to that...you have to work in order to pay WOW...at least us non-college peeps.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Spending 20 hours in one day doing anything is not healthy. I hope that you urge your friend to seek counseling for help dealing with what is truly an addiction. There should be free counseling options available to you on campus.
I mentioned something like that to him and he accused me of trying to control him and told me I have no control over his life and what games he plays. That game really is a drug; it even effects addicts' personalities. My friend is a different person now than he was before he started playing WoW.

I personally like China's method of combating addiction by crippling character abilities for a few hours after 5 hours of continuous play, forcing the player to take a break.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Addictive personalities will always find something to hang onto, it's not WoW in particular or even video games in particular. Now...I admit to playing WoW, probably about 20 hrs a week. For me, it's the opportunity to connect with real-life friends who live across many states. However, I don't miss it one bit when I don't have it for whatever reason. In fact, if I didn't use it to socialize with my friends, I'd just use Skype or Vent or something to do the same thing without WoW

Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I mentioned something like that to him and he accused me of trying to control him and told me I have no control over his life and what games he plays. That game really is a drug; it even effects addicts' personalities. My friend is a different person now than he was before he started playing WoW.
Maybe you need to have authorities from your college, like an RA or campus health professionals intervene? You would be doing the guy a favor.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Have you seen the South Park WOW episode? It's freakin' hilarious!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,192 times
I used to play WoW during its prime, when BC wasn't out and having T2 still meant you were part of the creme de la creme. As soon as the greens started owning my Transendance set, I lost the urge to play. And now, even as I watch my boyfriend play, I don't feel the urge anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games