Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 23,327 times

Advertisements

Do NOT buy in that area..
In fact - do NOT buy in Danville right now -
market is crap - unless you can commit for the long haul - you will be in trouble.
I have several friends who have had their homes for sale for years..

Rent - there is a GLUT of homes for rent right now -
try ERA, Holley and Lewis for rental homes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 10,725 times
Do NOT move to the North Main area. I live in Danville and it is not a safe neighborhhod. In the evening, you will see plenty of people hanging out do things that are not always legal.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 AM

158 posts, read 600,695 times
Do NOT move to Danville. It is not charming, it is nowhere near the 21st century, the crime is horrible for a smaller town, there is NO job market, the people are for the most part rude and close minded, and it is going nowhere but down.

DO NOT MOVE THERE!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:14 AM

129 posts, read 460,368 times
Well, in fairness I think it should be said that Danville probably isn't "going down" any further, it's about bottomed out. Houses are cheap because of the poor job market, but if you already have employment locked up, that's not a direct issue for you.

I go to Danville periodically in the summer to watch excellent minor-league baseball in the Danville Braves. It's a low-level league, but Atlanta always sends some hot young prospects, and they routinely contend for the league championship. Of course, if you're not into baseball, this won't do you much good.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 AM

158 posts, read 600,695 times
Well, the D-Braves are a big attraction this area, and in all fairness if Danville goes any further down, I honestly have no idea how bad that'd be. I didn't mean to sound to outrageous with that post, I'm just trying to give advice to people before they make a bad move to a place that they've misinterpreted.

Danville has its good qualities. The weather is always fairly pleasant and, it is very quiet in a lot of places. But as far as jobs go, and younger people, it's not a good idea.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 20,689 times
My husband and I moved to Ringgold, VA just outside of Danville in 1993. We have built several houses in this area of our own and for others. My husband bids on the jobs for the city rehab program. We do see that the prices are very low right now, but I agree that they cannot get much lower. I perceive it will be on the upswing, but the housing market is slow in a lot of places right now.
We now live on Rt. 58 in Halifax County and it is very beautiful here. We have an excellent view. We came to this area by looking at the "Places Rated Almanac" and have still found this County to be very inexpensive to live. Taxes are pretty low.
At this time though my husband is considering the possibility of moving to a even lower taxed state like TN. But we would be leaving a lot of family so it may not be worth the move. My husband loves to build and wants to built a very efficient house and down size a bit. We have a lot to take care of here. Herb gardens, large house, log cabin hospitality house and small workshop on about 10 acres. But, the being that the houseing market is so slow we may not get what we feel we should for all the work we put into this place. We are selling a shop and rental home down the road a bit and have had no bites at all. It is just slow right now. But with all the new construction, (Home Depot, and other places going up in Danville it should mean that the economy is getting better here.
As far as the crime and drugs. I would agree that there is a lot of drugs in Danville. My son lives there and also does rehab work. Sometimes my husband and sons have people asking for money, probably for drugs though they say it is for food. In general though I have found the people to be very friendly. North Main street has been improving over the last few years.
We home church on Fri. nights at our home in Halifax County if there is anyone asking about that. I notices a few posts regarding fellowship. It would be more like a bible study to some that come, because some have churches they go to on Sundays.
Well I hope this information helps. God Bless Michelle

Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM

67 posts, read 282,774 times
I have been i Danville manytime. If you really are thinking of moving there, PLEASE visit it first. We all have different opinions on were we want to live. I find Danville very, very, very depressing. I find the place were I live quite depressing, then I think of Danville and I feel much better. (Might sound silly, rude or sad.) There is a lot of crime. Just watch local Virginia news.
Who knows, this place might still be your future home...but please, make a visit first.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 20,106 times
DANVILLE!!! Scary place.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
I won't go there...sorry.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,111 times
Its no worse or no better than many other places I have been in Virginia. However, my gripe with the powers to be in Danville is the mentality of "remembering our past", I personally think its time to "see the future", and start new things that help and build up the community. There is not even a nice auditorium here for large events other than the outside venue at the city park.

It just seems the whole area is only for the retail businesses,and their development. I guess my point is, that "entertainment" per se , is going out and spending money , which isn't plenty among most people in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia