Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 83,622 times

Advertisements

Dont move here! You will not get a job! I hope you have a car because the buses stop running at 6pm everyday. They dont even run on sunday. There isnt any dependable cab services. Its racist here meaning the whites stick together and the blacks stick together. There is no where to shop! You will have to travel to greensboro nc which is 45 min away to get nice things. Each month a business leaves! Its sad! If you want to be miserable, and poor please come here and live. Im just warning you because i dont live there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 83,622 times
Oh and the crime here is not that bad its just not a good place to live if you want to have money and nice things! The people here are not nice! They look at you like youre from another planet!!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,623 times
I grew up in Danville all my life...i am 30yrs old now...the crime has increased but what cities crime hasn't. I moved away to attend college and stayed in the city i went to college. The majority of my fam live there...I think it depends on what you are trying to do. At my ae now I wouldn't move back but I may when i get older to retire. I think the city is growing but the job market is slow..I have plenty of family that struggled for months to find jobs and had to get work outside of the city. You have to know where you are going to stay away from the majority of the crime in Danville...I grew up off of North Main and it wasn't half as bad as some areas on the southside, but I would not live directly on North Main either.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM

165 posts, read 530,226 times
[quote=shay28;18574198]I grew up in Danville all my life...i am 30yrs old now...the crime has increased but what cities crime hasn't.

?? Not sure what you mean ... overall, crime has decreased a lot in recent years across the U.S. including in most cities.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,501 times
Where would you suggest that someone rent a house that is relatively a safe neighborhood in Danville,VA? I know every neighborhood has it's issues but what would be the best if you were moving from out of town?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 40,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay28 View Post
I grew up in Danville all my life...i am 30yrs old now...the crime has increased but what cities crime hasn't. I moved away to attend college and stayed in the city i went to college. The majority of my fam live there...I think it depends on what you are trying to do. At my ae now I wouldn't move back but I may when i get older to retire. I think the city is growing but the job market is slow..I have plenty of family that struggled for months to find jobs and had to get work outside of the city. You have to know where you are going to stay away from the majority of the crime in Danville...I grew up off of North Main and it wasn't half as bad as some areas on the southside, but I would not live directly on North Main either.
I grew up in Danville all my life...I am 30yrs old now...the crime has increased but what cities crime hasn't. I moved away to attend college and stayed in the city I went to college. The majority of my fam live there...I think it depends on what you are trying to do. At my age now I wouldn't move back but I may when I get older to retire. I think the city is growing but the job market is slow...I have plenty of family that struggled for months to find jobs and had to get work outside of the city. You have to know where you are going to stay away from the majority of the crime in Danville...I grew up off of North Main and it wasn't half as bad as some areas on the Southside, but I would not live directly on North Main either.
@shay28

Shay, no disrespect, but when was the last time you visited the north side of Danville or the 'OTHER' side of the river :-). I didn't grow up on the north side, but had friends and family who did, and it was deteriorating when I was a child. You're about eight years younger than I am, and the only way to get away from the riff raff was to continue moving up the hill.
However, the entire area now is horrible, and it's quite sad. My dad had two aunts who lived in north Danville, and it was getting bad prior to their passing away. One used to live on Thomas St. and the other one on Baugh St. (when I was about ten years old, they both moved up what they referred to further up the hill). One moved in the cutest cottage on Aspen St. the other one on North Ave., and if you know north Danville like you claim. You know those two streets are riddled with crime now. I am almost grateful my two aunts are passed away; it prevented them from seeing how bad the area has really gotten.
Houses are boarded up all over from the bottom of the hill to the top...it was shocking to me a couple months ago to see Wrenn Yates Funeral Home still on North Main. My aunts taught me a lot of the history around north Danville, and you wrote North Main was bad. However, back in the day North Main St. was where some of the management + administration used to live from the mill.
It broke my heart to see just how bad the area was...there are so many houses boarded up. The neighborhood could be a great neighborhood again if Danville had enough population to gentrify the area. However, Danvillians have been trying tirelessly to revive the Holbrook area, and it is a beautiful area.
I grew up in Forest Hills, and it's about the only neighborhood left in the city proper not touched by any blight (sorry I take that back Windsor Heights is still very nice).
Like I wrote earlier, I really don't mean to offend you, but I had family who used to work in the mill + I had family who was very well educated. Therefore, I saw both sides of the river, and as a child I did prefer North side...the people were friendlier, and it was a time when your neighbors knew you. However, now the entire area is ghetto....perhaps someone like you can move back, and get people interested in reviving North Danville.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM

156 posts, read 369,839 times
I don't care for Danville city area for the crime but there area is pretty and some of the old factories there are now great looking lofts and in places like NY would sell for a million or more .They are taking salvage wood from the old dan river mills factories and making great looking flooring .The city area has spruced itself up and looks pretty during the day but at night ,well lets say there is still a lot of bad to get rid of .I like where I live Axton is a pretty still rural area but nice .

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 13,524 times
Smile Danville Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamstrees View Post
I realize that these post are old. I have to totally disagree about Danville. Sure, as in any area you have pockets of crime and areas that are depressed. You would not really know what Danville has to offer unless you spent time there and researched your options. There are many excellent areas and when it comes to restaurants Danville is full of them.

The location of Danville is the reason I moved here from South Florida. The taxes are low, realestate affordable and I am located close to many areas of North carolina - greensboro, 45 min - easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Still almost anything I want is right here. Lets also not forget that in this region agriculture is expansive. There are many many parks, lakes and scenery. If you look at dowtown, Danville proper you can compare it to many metro areas where you have transitional areas as well as depressed. I've been here 4 years and have seen many improvements and upgrades. I am very happy for the decision I made in buying here.

The people of virginia are the nicest people I have met anywhere. The only con I have with Danville is there are no Whole Foods or large Organic markets. Thankfully many of the stores target and walmart carry many. Still if you search localharvest.org you'll see that in this region we tons of farmers offering fresh meats and produce.

My entire extended family moved here after visiting me. I think that anyone that talks badly about the area just doesn't venture out and explore to see what it has to offer.
Thank you for your posts. I just want to say that I agree and I am very excited for the positive things this community has going on. By quoting your post I don't have to type as much and can encourage people to read it again.

For people inquiring about Danville and the Dan River Region, please be sure to reference people that are knowledgeable of the area, it's history, and it's ongoing progress!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM

144 posts, read 419,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenhearts View Post
Oh and the crime here is not that bad its just not a good place to live if you want to have money and nice things! The people here are not nice! They look at you like youre from another planet!!
I have recently heard Danville referred to as the "trap" by someone under the age of 25y/o living in Richmond. In 2001, a friend/coworker who moved to DC from there said it was only warehouses or barns or something there and no jobs. I think that's why she moved and to my knowledge has not moved back. However, my son has a friend whose family moved there this year from MD and the kid seems to be doing ok.

Last edited by Nikki75; 08-12-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,805 times
I got to this site because I wanted to look up the crime rate here after driving my the house my father grew up in on Clement Ave off of North Main St. OMG, it was so sad to see. The house two doors down was boarded up. And this woman wanted to move to a home on N. Main! I am curious if her family moved there and what part of Danville they moved to, but I see the posting started several years ago so who knows. I know it makes my father sad to see the shape of the neighborhood he grew up in and to think that as a child (in the 70s) I walked up N. Main to the park at the water tower. Wouldn't dare do that today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia