Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

Sunset - you need to get out more - if you haven't been to places in Virginia better than Danville - you really need to get out more....believe me there are tons of places in Virginia that are soooo much better than Danville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM

624 posts, read 1,161,111 times
Cattknap, I have been everywhere in Va, and lots of places in the USA also.
You didnt read the first sentence I wrote ,"Its no worse or no better than many other places I have been in Virginia".

Perhaps you don't like Danville, others do. I don't care for Richmond, but perhaps others do. If you like driving bumper to bumper as in Fairfax, more power to you. If you like higher taxes as in NOVA or the Va Beach area, more power to you. Or do you like small towns where there is only one small store?

Once again, I didn't say that Danville was the best place to live. I said it is either better or worse than other areas in Va.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 52,996 times
Thank you very much for the information.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 31,162 times
Vision22...I would not recommend moving ANYWHERE in the South Central area of VA; meaning Halifax, Pittsylvania, or Henry Counties; the city of Danville in particular.

These areas will take a generation to recover from the loss of their major employers; textiles, tobacco, and furniture making. Lots of retail a service industry jobs are being created, but by and large the population is more of a "manufacturing mentality".

Local governments have been controlledfor generations by a small wealthy minority, and unless you can find a way to get into that group of people, you'll just be an annoyance.

Unemployment is dropping, but only because people are taking jobs in retail and service, or are working across the state line in NC. A few small manufacturing concerns are starting up, but none are large scale employers. The comprehension of technology is not here, and companies that try to move here understand that they will have to train employees in basic skills before they can get started.

I can't find anything good to say about this area except yes, it's cheap to buy houses here. But then you have to understand why. Please bring your own crack.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,094 times
Danville is ready for a big rebound! Great new shopping coming in the spring of 2008!

Danville]Danville, Virginia Economic Development - News (http://www.discoverdanville.com/news.asp?id=3062 - broken link), Virginia Economic Development - News

The new FedEx hub in Greensboro is going to land jobs galore for surrounding cities including Danville. The opening of the new I-785 courdor Danville (Charlottesville VA to Greensboro NC) will be a HUGE boost!

Ten miles south in NC the Horse Park of the South is planned! It will be in the same class as the one in Lexington VA.

Filing Information Board of Elections Rockingham County NC (http://www.co.rockingham.nc.us/equestrian.htm - broken link)

Now is a good time to invest ..... while it's cheap. The real estate wave has made it as far south as Smith Mountain area. It will continue to move south. Many people choose to buy land 50-200 acers just out side of town and enjoy the rural life.

Blue Ridge Parkway is only 45 mins away!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,577 times
I have lived in Danville all my life and I guess you could say I know which areas to avoid. Danville has never been a very big or busy city, but I will say they are somewhat trying to make an effort to better the city. We're getting a lot of new stores, but nothing to really *gasp* about. Retail is big here, but as far as major big buck employers, there aren't many. I don't watch the new, too depressing, but it does seem like the crime is rising...then again, I just moved to the city after being in the county for most of my life. I highly reccommed the county, DO NOT move to the city. My husband and I just bought a house last June in the city and I regret that decision. I LOVE our home, but I just wish it could be moved to the county. I actually witnessed someone vandalizing property across from my home last night and I dont even live in the "bad" areas. Definately stay away from North Main...hoenstly, most of the bad areas are on the corners of Danville, so you're just out of luck. We want to move further south to Wilmington. Danville will always be home, but it's just really different than when I was a child, and I don't feel safe anymore. Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,111 times
Default Retail Stores

What really perplexes me in what goes on in Danville is , the mall there has many closed stores, but yet the answer to bad economic trends is to build even more stores! In a year, most of the stores being built will have folded due to lack of sales, and yet another shopping complex will be planned...

Everytime I go (which is seldom) to any big store in Danville, I only see a few shoppers, maybe its the times I go?

The forest cut down to build the Coleman Center meant more to me than any thing that will ever be there in the future.

Retail stores are an important part of our lives, but they shouldn't be the only thing a town/city and person focuses their lives on.....

Danville is fast becoming known as a crime city.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM
JJM

61 posts, read 237,535 times
This following article was in the Danville Register and Bee on March 21, 2008. It shows how Danville has lost 10,000 residents between the 1990 and 2000 census. Pretty depressing news for the area. Makes it almost impossible to sell a home there right now.

Danville's population loss leads all Virginia cities

By BERNARD BAKER
Register & Bee staff writer
March 21, 2008

Danville has lost the most people of any city in Virginia since the 2000 census and almost 10,000 people since 1990, according to new Census Bureau estimates.
But city officials warn not to let the gloom from the past influence what is planned down the road.
For the first time in recent memory, Danville’s population is just shy of 45,000. The city has lost more than 3,400 people, or 7 percent of its population, during the decade, placing it at 132 out of 134 localities in the state as far as population decline. Danville lost more people than any city in Virginia during this time.Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the article

On the Net:

U.S. CENSUS BUREAU: Census Bureau Home Page

Last edited by Yac; 03-25-2008 at 06:29 AM..

Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano View Post
My husband and I are considering Danville, VA. We currently live in Va Beach and my husband is considering a teaching position with the public schools there. I've been reading some negative stuff about the area. Run down city, high crime rate, etc. I also know the Dan River plant closed so there is high unemployment too.

On the positive, real estate prices are great. We could afford a really nice house there. I also read that a branch of IKEA furniture making business is opening a plant in 2008. Supposed to bring 250 new jobs now and 500 more over the next 9 years.

Would Danville be a good place to teach and live?
I live in Danville and its not that bad and dont have a high crime rate like another cities in the world and have some nice, quiet neighborhood and and have some ok neighborhood that is going to be anywhere in the United States. Plus if you looking into buying a house you get at great deal at different real estate. Yes I can say that we did have high unemployment rate but we have companies to come here and open up and when have some companies bringing business in to danville and beside cost of living is very cheater here than anywhere else
If have any question you can reach at my email [email]toocute44u@yahoo.com[/email]

Last edited by choiceone; 03-23-2008 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: to add email addresa

Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM

299 posts, read 1,008,830 times
My grandparents on my mother's side grew up in Danville. We used to go back every couple of years to visit my great aunts and uncles, but it's been about 10 years since I've been there. My only vibrant memory of that place is Biscuitville. My dad used to love going. My general memories are that it's small and run down. Seemed like a dying town to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia