Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 39,568 times

Advertisements

I have been a resident here in danville va for about 10 years, moved from new york. I will tell you this much, people here are so scared of change that sometimes it suffocates you. I also work in the school system and it's about the same, I think city managers try to bring 21st century ideas to a city that still has a 1960's state of mind. I won't tell you that it's not a good place to live but I feel like alot of people from other city's come here and they get comfortable, our city lacks leadership and people who aren't scared to take risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 39,568 times
Default danville resident

Is Danville a good place to live, it depends on how much you appreciate being exposed to versatality. Danville is a manufacturing town so technology here is slowly but surely catching on. The positive qualities Danville possess, friendly people, crime rate is not good but it's not bad either, housing market is fairly reasonable and I think it's the ideal place to start a business which is what we need more of.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 90,724 times
I live in Danville, Va and It is a decent area very good from 5 years ago even if would like to teach and he likes technology have him call Galileo Magnet High School (434)773-8186 and ask what they mainly focus on. I went to that school and I've lived in Danville for 20 years It's really grown ALOT we are getting more and more businesses all the time and Technology is the best thing since sliced bread around here...

also if you would like to know a good place to live I can tell you everywhere that is good and everywhere that is bad. Let me know something
djkooldown@gmail.com

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Default It sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by katina1975 View Post
I have been a resident here in danville va for about 10 years, moved from new york. I will tell you this much, people here are so scared of change that sometimes it suffocates you. I also work in the school system and it's about the same, I think city managers try to bring 21st century ideas to a city that still has a 1960's state of mind. I won't tell you that it's not a good place to live but I feel like alot of people from other city's come here and they get comfortable, our city lacks leadership and people who aren't scared to take risks.

Yeah danville is also in the past months since my last input changed drastically!!! I have now moved to Collinsville I got a job that pays better and don't have to deal with the bull**** that the TEENS have going on on Riverside Dr. I'm so sick and tired of the "UNDERAGE" "DOPEFIENDS" in danville

Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 43,967 times
Default Totally DON'T Agree

I realize that these post are old. I have to totally disagree about Danville. Sure, as in any area you have pockets of crime and areas that are depressed. You would not really know what Danville has to offer unless you spent time there and researched your options. There are many excellent areas and when it comes to restaurants Danville is full of them.

The location of Danville is the reason I moved here from South Florida. The taxes are low, realestate affordable and I am located close to many areas of North carolina - greensboro, 45 min - easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Still almost anything I want is right here. Lets also not forget that in this region agriculture is expansive. There are many many parks, lakes and scenery. If you look at dowtown, Danville proper you can compare it to many metro areas where you have transitional areas as well as depressed. I've been here 4 years and have seen many improvements and upgrades. I am very happy for the decision I made in buying here.

The people of virginia are the nicest people I have met anywhere. The only con I have with Danville is there are no Whole Foods or large Organic markets. Thankfully many of the stores target and walmart carry many. Still if you search localharvest.org you'll see that in this region we tons of farmers offering fresh meats and produce.

My entire extended family moved here after visiting me. I think that anyone that talks badly about the area just doesn't venture out and explore to see what it has to offer.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Default Danville..

Danville does have alot of restaurants. Main reason it has alot of OBESITY!!! that's why, when you have a town with an outrageous amount of obesity you have FOOOD!!! everywhere. Same as with "Christians" (Religious People) When you have alot of religion you have alot of pointless Churches...
DANVILLE IS FALLING OUT!!! IT SUCKS!!! There is nothing to do but goto Church, Eat, and Shop... there is no adult nightlife or any high class of anything. I'm sorry.... I hate danville... but there is one good thing about it... The Maternity Ward... My son was born in Danville Regional Medical Center December 31... Everyone in L&D were great the nurses were nice and the facility was very secure. Although the meals are not the greatest. it's ok it's danville there's food everywhere!

This message is not here to affend anyone nor does it. It's just stating facts I do apologize for the inconvience of sasying that but it needs to be said.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 29,421 times
What major cities is Danville close too?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxmom09 View Post
What major cities is Danville close too?
Greensboro, NC is probably the biggest city close by...
Then Roanoke.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM

158 posts, read 600,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamstrees View Post
I realize that these post are old. I have to totally disagree about Danville. Sure, as in any area you have pockets of crime and areas that are depressed. You would not really know what Danville has to offer unless you spent time there and researched your options. There are many excellent areas and when it comes to restaurants Danville is full of them.

The location of Danville is the reason I moved here from South Florida. The taxes are low, realestate affordable and I am located close to many areas of North carolina - greensboro, 45 min - easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Still almost anything I want is right here. Lets also not forget that in this region agriculture is expansive. There are many many parks, lakes and scenery. If you look at dowtown, Danville proper you can compare it to many metro areas where you have transitional areas as well as depressed. I've been here 4 years and have seen many improvements and upgrades. I am very happy for the decision I made in buying here.

The people of virginia are the nicest people I have met anywhere. The only con I have with Danville is there are no Whole Foods or large Organic markets. Thankfully many of the stores target and walmart carry many. Still if you search localharvest.org you'll see that in this region we tons of farmers offering fresh meats and produce.

My entire extended family moved here after visiting me. I think that anyone that talks badly about the area just doesn't venture out and explore to see what it has to offer.
I lived in Danville for 20+ years before moving away. I live in Florida now but I'm moving back to Washington, D.C. Danville is lovely to visit when I go home to visit my family, but the best part about leaving it is going back home to a larger city. For what it is, Danville works. A historic district with lovely homes, a small town feel with a few good amenities, and (sometimes) a Southern hospitality complex. Before I left, I remember watching practically all of the historical buildings get demolished, removing a lot of character from what Danville had left. The practically non-existant job market and the lack of certain things and amenities is what drove me away. $8 an hour is considered "great money" in Danville, and I found it difficult to obtain a higher paying job. Danville is a charming place to move if you're at the end of your career or if you have intentions of staying in a place that you grew up in, but if you're looking for jobs or growth, you may find out that it cannot fit that bill.

I will always care for it as the place I grew up in, but I could never return willingly. That's my personality, but this just serves as a warning to anyone who believes that Danville may bring growth and immense opportunities.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 40,001 times
@StarliesWest...I couldn't agree more, Danville is a dying city.
I grew up in Danville on Hawthorne Dr. and my parents still reside there. However, I'd die if I had to move back to the area.
There are no real jobs for anyone with the exception of retail, restaurant or manufacturing. The 'FEW' professional jobs are in education, city govt. or medicine. I remember as a child going downtown to Belk, Talhimers, and Rippies with my mom. Downtown was a great place to shop for a city so small, but Piedmont mall was built. Once the mall was built downtown died, and no-one was really interested in shopping there anymore.
The new dtn is on Piedmont Drive, and parts of Riverside Drive. However, there's not enough population to support but so many stores.
To the person who made the post "most of the crime is in North Danville," ( no offence intended) but you must keep your head in the sand. A person can't go to Ballou Park to shop anymore wihout being asked for money, and Nor-Dan is just as bad. The neighborhoods all around both shopping centers has deteriorated horribly with the exception of Forest Hills. My mom used to be able to shop in some of the stores at Ballou park shopping center.
There's no Wholefoods or the like in Danville because most of the population isn't concerned about eating healthy. The ones who are concerned can't afford a Wholefoods or Trader Joes.
It saddens me to write anything negative about Danville because it would be a great town restored. There's so much history in that small town, but no opportunity. I've always thought to myself if I ever moved back to Danville..I'd live on Green St. or Holbrook Ave. However, they're bad areas....people have been trying for thirty years to bring that part of town back to life. The houses are grand, Jefferson Ave. Green St. Holbrook Ave. Sutherlin St. etc.
I have a sister who lives on Virginia Ave. and she's moving to the County. The city schools are getting worse every year, and there are no real private schools. Sacred Heart only goes to the ninth grade, and Westover Christian is full of people with a very narrow view about life.
In reference to the person who posted Danville was living in the past...you're referring to Virginia period. My family has been in Virginia for almost three hundred years..we're only twenty years shy of being a member of the FFV. Therefore, I can write this...the only place you'll live in Virginia and find more progressive thinking people is Northern Virginia or Virginia Beach. However, if you do move to either of those two locations, you'll be hard-pressed to find a Virginia native.
There's a joke we have here in Richmond.."you know how many Richmonders it takes to change a lightbulb? ten..one to do it and nine to discuss why they should have kept the old one in place" LOL
The only reason I'm accepted in Richmond is because my family has been in Virginia for so many years.
In response to those who read this living in Richmond...you know I'm referring to the real 'WEST END' which is CCV area. Trust me..if you live in Short Pump first of all you don't really live in Richmond, secondly you don't count.
Virginians live in their own world, and it's best not to disagree with it. They're the only ones who count :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia