Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM

542 posts, read 991,321 times

Advertisements

I certainly do not hate maryland, but like it very much, despite the crazy drivers. But VA has them too. I have always thought of MD as being a kind of brother state to VA. Both have many commonalities like DC, Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay and many many other things. It doesn't feel like NC until you get well past Richmond or Lynchburg. Everything in between is just VA. My boss is from the Baltimore area and he doesn't seem to make any fun of VA, in fact he's kind of a country bumpkin. He confirmed that he was while in MD, so he wasn't assimilated or anything. People might make jokes about their neighbor states, like VA with WVA, it doesn't mean you don't like them. I actually pick on people I like. So whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Do Virginians hate Marylanders? I've always wondered that. It seems like they do a lot. is that true?
Yes, definitely, but I wouldn't say they hate Marylanders (many of them work in the same places), but the state itslef. On these boards especially you will never hear a bad word uttered about VA (on the MD board anyway, I don't follow this one), and anytime anywhere in MD is compared to VA, it's usually negative. It's seemts to be mostly political. I know a lot of people from Virginia, especially from work, and anytime the word "Maryland" comes up, it's either one of 3 things:

1. crime in Prince George's
2. over-regulation, taxation, and illegal immigration in Montgomery
3. The Ultra-left state politics, single party rule, and high taxes

Most of it is based on stereotypes and exaggerated, from the people I've talked to anyway. I think most of it is misinformation. From the people I've talked to they really don't know that much about the state. One thing I will never forget is when I was at Kings Dominion once there were these two guys talking in line and one of them said he was from Baltimore, and the other guy (either from Virginia or NC) didn't even know it was in Maryland. I also think it's a North/South thing (and yes I know some people still consider MD and DC to be Southern). I remember when they closed off the DC/VA bridges for the Inauguration, a lot of people were joking saying that it was the Civil War all over again, and I heard that many Virginians were actually complaining about DC's favoritism to MD.

Apart from the immediate DC suburbs there's really not that many similarities between the two states. Even in the DC suburbs the only two counties alike would be Fairfax and Montgomery, and if you tell a Virginian that they'll say that Ffx doesn't have illegal immigrants and is superior.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Even in the DC suburbs the only two counties alike would be Fairfax and Montgomery, and if you tell a Virginian that they'll say that Ffx doesn't have illegal immigrants and is superior.
I am a Virginian and I would never say that.. Fairfax has plenty of illegal immigrants there is no denying that one bit. And in my opinion Fairfax is far from superior although I like living in it.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I am a Virginian and I would never say that.. Fairfax has plenty of illegal immigrants there is no denying that one bit. And in my opinion Fairfax is far from superior although I like living in it.
Thank you. Finally an honest Northern Virginian who doesn't despise the people across the river.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:59 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Quote:
Thank you. Finally an honest Northern Virginian who doesn't despise the people across the river.
Does being here a month give me that title yet?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,967 times
Quote:
I think there's a lot of animosity coming from both sides. You're just not as aware of how Montgomery County natives react to Northern Virginians. Many people from suburban Maryland seem to think Northern Virginia has more in common with Birmingham, Alabama than with Rockville.

But given that MoCo and Ffx have roughly equivalent numbers of Latinos, I think it's safe to assume that one county's Latino population is no more legal or illegal than the other's.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I think there's a lot of animosity coming from both sides. You're just not as aware of how Montgomery County natives react to Northern Virginians. Many people from suburban Maryland seem to think Northern Virginia has more in common with Birmingham, Alabama than with Rockville.

But given that MoCo and Ffx have roughly equivalent numbers of Latinos, I think it's safe to assume that one county's Latino population is no more legal or illegal than the other's.
I'm not so sure about that. I've heard a lot of MoCo natives complain about the county, particularly the taxes and far-left politics, while praising Fairfax. Every county/city in the DC Area is unique in it's own way, although there are some that are very similar such as Fairfax and Montgomery, and heavily-urban downcounty Montgomery and Arlington.

I'm glad to see that there at least two non-haters though.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:30 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,197 times
Oh God here we go again, Maryland people are always crying about how VA has so much better highways going into DC..Well did you all realize that you can literally walk from PG County Maryland into DC? You cant do that from Virginia...And as far as Maryland hate I dont hear it down here or even on this forum..From my experience there's more hate for NoVa than there is for Maryland...Because I have heard PLENTY of garbage said about NoVA..Honestly I dont think the avg Virginian outside of NoVa even really cares about Maryland or is really that informed about it..When I have told people Im from Baltimore I've had about 3 people say "oh what state is that in" or they have to think about it..

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Oh God here we go again, Maryland people are always crying about how VA has so much better highways going into DC.
Uh, actually I think you have it backwards. I don't think anyone in their right minds would say that VA has better access to DC, especially not with the I-66, I-395, I-95 parking lots.

Quote:
And as far as Maryland hate I dont hear it down here or even on this forum..From my experience there's more hate for NoVa than there is for Maryland...Because I have heard PLENTY of garbage said about NoVA..Honestly I dont think the avg Virginian outside of NoVa even really cares about Maryland or is really that informed about it..When I have told people Im from Baltimore I've had about 3 people say "oh what state is that in" or they have to think about it.
Trust me, read thhe MD board, or simply read the Washington Post and the comments pages there. As for Baltimore I've seen the same exact thing happen before and I was dumbfounded. I went to Kings Dominion and someone else in the line was telling this guy he was from Baltimore, and the guy asked where that was. I couldn't tell you how shocked I was.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,967 times
Quote:
Oh God here we go again, Maryland people are always crying about how VA has so much better highways going into DC..Well did you all realize that you can literally walk from PG County Maryland into DC? You cant do that from Virginia...And as far as Maryland hate I dont hear it down here or even on this forum..From my experience there's more hate for NoVa than there is for Maryland...Because I have heard PLENTY of garbage said about NoVA..Honestly I dont think the avg Virginian outside of NoVa even really cares about Maryland or is really that informed about it..When I have told people Im from Baltimore I've had about 3 people say "oh what state is that in" or they have to think about it..
I live in Virginia and can walk into DC in about 15 minutes. The bridges do have pedestrian access, aside from the 14th St Bridge.

But you are probably right, Virginians outside of NoVA don't really care about Maryland. Just like I don't think Baltimoreans really have much of an opinion about Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia