Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,104,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
No, you are just spewing baseless BS just to justify the biased opinion against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State......

It would be a lot easier for you and your few "Maryland ain't Southern" opinionated friends to openly admit that you don't like the state of Maryland and do not wish to have an association with Maryland and refuse to accept the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

But for shock value ya just keep dragging the useless spewing of anti-Maryland tirade of making looong script of nonsense excuses to justify useless opinions against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State....

No one is Hijacking this thread because Everyone agrees to the FACT that Virginia is a Southern State however since Virginia is part of the DMV Maryland is also going to be including in this because it is part of Virginia and DC which Maryland is also a Southern State like Virginia.....
Now you aren't making sense. Maryland is not part of Virginia. None of my things are baseless...they come from solid sources. As I've said before, if dialect, religious demographics, culture, and political stances are baseless, then there is no true way to classify states. I am not anti-Maryland...I have relatives living there...I love visiting that state. But you are a standout amongst Marylanders, that much i can tell you. I have yet to meet someone from Maryland in real life that thinks the way you do about it. These are not opinions. These are facts that I'm giving. Clearly you cannot accept them, so I'm giving up on you. You are a lost cause.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
At least Cape is farther south than Richmond, VA
Regardless, I agree that like the rest of the border states, Maryland has southern traits as well as traits from neighboring region(s). I haven't been there so I can't conclude one way or another. Maybe it's similar to Missouri where at least parts of it are southern.
But Cape is directly on the Mason-Dixon line (which runs along the Ohio River west of the PA-MD border)...the Mason-Dixon line along the Ohio River I feel is in the right place. it's the maryland-virginia border where I feel the true Mason-Dixon lies. That is where the true cultural and political divide of the northern and southern united states lies. So despite being further south than Richmond, it is not as southern culturally, in terms of accents, or politically. I agree...the historic border states all retain some Southern traits, but MO, MD, and DE all lean more Northern and I feel can overall be classified as such. Kentucky and West Virginia I would say lean more towards the south. There is very little about most parts of these states that anybody could say is not southern. Also...the Maryland state song has had occasional attempts to change it..it was coined in 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War. For all its popularity, it's quite clear that only 25,000 Marylanders felt compelled enough to join the southern cause. The western part of Maryland was very pro-Union and despised this song.

Last edited by stlouisan; 11-16-2011 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I always associated Missouri with the Midwest because the rapper Nelly being from St.Louis, always shouted-out The Midwest as his home region(This was around 99-00 when the Rams were "The Greatest Show On Turf"). From then on, it was always Missouri=Midwest. Kinda a stupid reason, but that's how I associated Missouri with the Midwest.
I guess that's a really basic way to do it...he is correct though. Missouri is a whole state is overall Midwestern.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Oh right, the state song...it certainly speaks volumes over anything factual
Not to mention anything about the modern state of Maryland.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,693,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
But Cape is directly on the Mason-Dixon line (which runs along the Ohio River west of the PA-MD border)...the Mason-Dixon line along the Ohio River I feel is in the right place. it's the maryland-virginia border where I feel the true Mason-Dixon lies. That is where the true cultural and political divide of the northern and southern united states lies. So despite being further south than Richmond, it is not as southern culturally, in terms of accents, or politically. I agree...the historic border states all retain some Southern traits, but MO, MD, and DE all lean more Northern and I feel can overall be classified as such. Kentucky and West Virginia I would say lean more towards the south. There is very little about most parts of these states that anybody could say is not southern. Also...the Maryland state song has had occasional attempts to change it..it was coined in 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War. For all its popularity, it's quite clear that only 25,000 Marylanders felt compelled enough to join the southern cause. The western part of Maryland was very pro-Union and despised this song.
Right I agree I was just being a little humorous. Richmond is 100% Southern. As I've said before Cape is probably a near 50/50 mix, makes Cape pretty neat to live in. The Ohio intersects the Mississippi about 25 miles south of Cape. Missouri's unique immigration patterns (especially on the eastern side of the state) make it a very interesting case.

The way I see it when anyone wants to discuss a state they should either generalize and group it one way or another OR acknowledge the fact that the state isn't homogeneous with regards to culture, climate etc... for example, West Virginia is overall Southern, but the northern panhandle? Doubt it.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Right I agree I was just being a little humorous. Richmond is 100% Southern. As I've said before Cape is probably a near 50/50 mix, makes Cape pretty neat to live in. The Ohio intersects the Mississippi about 25 miles south of Cape. Missouri's unique immigration patterns (especially on the eastern side of the state) make it a very interesting case.

The way I see it when anyone wants to discuss a state they should either generalize and group it one way or another OR acknowledge the fact that the state isn't homogeneous with regards to culture, climate etc... for example, West Virginia is overall Southern, but the northern panhandle? Doubt it.
Well, if we're to talk about homogenity, I think for the most part you would be hard-pressed to find a state that is truly homogenous in culture and climate unless we are talking about the states of New England, or a few states of the west..namely California and Utah. Northern California in my opinion should be broken away from Southern California to form a new state. Aside from being western, i would really have to say that Northern California has more in common with Oregon than Southern California. San Francisco and Los Angeles, for being in the same state, are more than a 6 hour drive apart...or essentially, a drive from St. Louis to Columbus, Ohio. If I were to name all the states that were not a homogenous mixture of culture and climate, I would include all of the Great Plains states, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and Florida, among others. While it is definitely possibly to generalize cultures in these states, most of these states can be broken down into cultural subsections. For example, Southern Indiana, while having some similarities, is very different from Northern Indiana. Eastern Nebraska is different from Western Nebraska. The Oklahoma Panhandle is quite different from the rest of the state. Southwest Texas is different from Eastern and Central Texas.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Baltimore was forced to be with the union 1st of all it was Baltimore citizens that fired on union troops in Maryland do you recall that. And that poll you keep bringing up is flawed its from residents but theres no telling how many of those ppl are not even from Maryland and all that other stuff you rambling about i never even said i know there is diffrent southern, midwestern,western and northern accents. Plus the U.S. Census still to this day classifies Maryland and Delaware as southern so um who do you think im going to believe??
So what...Baltimore citizens fired on Union troops. It wasn't most of the citizens, all, or even half of them...it's obvious Baltimore had Confederate sympathizers. That doesn't make it the south. And once again, that poll being flawed is a bold statement...you have no evidence to prove that. And there is no such thing as a generic "northern accent"...they are so diverse and the North is subdivided in multiple regions that differ vastly, unlike the south. I don't care who you believe, obviously you seem to think that the Census Bureau's word is the final word, regardless of what contradictory evidence may exist. I would be interested to ask the Census Bureau how they came up with their groupings instead of accepting their word as final.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Last defense i didnt know i was playing defense?? You are playing with opinions and facts the facts are that goverment classifies Maryland as southern buddy and your reason for them doing so is that they dont want to mess with the mason dixon line which also puts Maryland in the south is hilarious!! And about your duck theory Richmond, Alexandria, D.C. and Baltimore look alot alike explain this please..
Want to know what's more hilarious? Claiming a study done by an accredited university is crap...this sampled hundreds of residents from every state and was expensive to do. Why you would think these people would not know what they are doing is beyond me. Unless the Census Bureau chose these groupings at a time when many still thought of Maryland as south, it makes no sense why they would choose to place Maryland there after the Civil War. Also hilarious is why you think Maryland is still southern despite the overall absence of southern culture, dialect, political views, demographics, and Baltimore and D.C. are recognized as part of the Bos-Wash corridor and Richmond is generally not. Also, Baltimore, D.C., and Richmond looking alike is your point of view. I feel that there is some similarity in appearance amongst the three, but Richmond has an entirely different cultural and political vibe to it. Baltimore also is in many ways similar in appearance to Philadelphia, as is D.C., and unlike Richmond, Baltimore and D.C. have essentially the same culture and mindset as Philadelphia. Just because it looks like a duck, and in the case, that's somewhat like a duck, doesn't mean it quacks like one. There's your answer. And it's the final one I'm giving. If you're not satisfied with it, that's your problem. The Mason-Dixon line is outdated and no longer reflects the true cultural boundaries of the south...if you find that hilarious, you're either slow on the learning curve or in denial.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And what your spewing about Maryland not being a Southern State is Totally 100% Pure Fiction.........
If it's fiction, why do religious demographics, politics, southern dialect maps, and culture all back me up? Indeed, 100% pure fiction in the truest sense. You have just called the Census Bureau's data, studies done by professional linguistics, etc., all crap. I agree with all of the Census Bureau's data except where the cultural line is dividing south from north with regards to Maryland and Delaware. The Mason-Dixon line could still be considered the MD-PA border because that's where it was created...however, the Census Bureau does not have a good case for putting Maryland and Delaware in the south when even their own data suggests they misclassified them. Every educated person I've ever spoken to, and every native Marylander I've ever spoken to thinks that the Mason-Dixon line is a long-out-of-date boundary that no longer applies. It's actually interesting, because in another thread on here, there are votes going out to what is the north and what is not...apparantly over 50% of the people who voted believe Maryland and Delaware are not Southern. So it appears you and Diff1 are minorities, and therefore, a waste of my time. Happy trolling.

Last edited by stlouisan; 11-16-2011 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM

797 posts, read 1,433,316 times
Oh my a bunch of name calling i think you are a lil too up tight to be on here if you cant handle other ppls posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia