Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 AM

96 posts, read 385,950 times

Advertisements

New Castle is a cute little town, Craig County is absolutely gorgeous place. The Applachain Trail cuts threw, nice rivers for recreation & plenty of access points. Land is still fairly inexpensive too. You're not too far from Salem (Roanoke area), it's about a 30 minute drive..so fairly easy access to a larger town with all the shopping and amenities....plus Blacksburg is about 40 minutes or so away to, just to the west....one small problem is that all of Craig County is served by just a few "two lane" highways, thus limiting access and econmic opportunities for its residents..not to mention is somewhat dangerous...

On the downside, the first thing that strikes me about the general area (as far as people) is that Craig County has a very small populaiton, maybe 6,000 residents...this is not neccessarily bad, but as you come into New Castle you do see some ratty trailers, and lots of Confederate Flags too. If that does't bother you, then so be it...the level of education amoung the general population is low, and economic opportunties are few - commuting to the larger Roanoke area is the only option for many...still, New Castly has a very neat little core village area...but still, I've always believed NC and Craig County in general share more in common with some of the remote depressed areas of West Virginia, than say Virginia

So it really depends of what your looking for, if your looking for a second home on a secluded mountain river...Craig is your place...if your looking for a place to relocate your family, then I would be cautious....

My suggestion is look at some nearby places which offer many of the same qualities, but maybe a better overall quality of living...try Fincastle, Newport, Boones Mill for a sart....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 06:03 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillV View Post
New Castle is a cute little town, Craig County is absolutely gorgeous place. The Applachain Trail cuts threw, nice rivers for recreation & plenty of access points. Land is still fairly inexpensive too. You're not too far from Salem (Roanoke area), it's about a 30 minute drive..so fairly easy access to a larger town with all the shopping and amenities....plus Blacksburg is about 40 minutes or so away to, just to the west....one small problem is that all of Craig County is served by just a few "two lane" highways, thus limiting access and econmic opportunities for its residents..not to mention is somewhat dangerous...

On the downside, the first thing that strikes me about the general area (as far as people) is that Craig County has a very small populaiton, maybe 6,000 residents...this is not neccessarily bad, but as you come into New Castle you do see some ratty trailers, and lots of Confederate Flags too. If that does't bother you, then so be it...the level of education amoung the general population is low, and economic opportunties are few - commuting to the larger Roanoke area is the only option for many...still, New Castly has a very neat little core village area...but still, I've always believed NC and Craig County in general share more in common with some of the remote depressed areas of West Virginia, than say Virginia

So it really depends of what your looking for, if your looking for a second home on a secluded mountain river...Craig is your place...if your looking for a place to relocate your family, then I would be cautious....

My suggestion is look at some nearby places which offer many of the same qualities, but maybe a better overall quality of living...try Fincastle, Newport, Boones Mill for a sart....
Thanks for your post. Some of the things you mentioned don't appeal to me like Confederate flags (kind of corny) and ratty trailers but the ratty trailers one can find just about anywhere which is unfortunate.

Two lane highways - I'll be careful when I come for a visit, but that's a good point to consider. I can't wait to see how pretty the area is.

I'm a single lady and wish to move to the mountains when I retire so there won't be any family except dogs that I'll be bringing. I tried to talk my grown children into considering the relocating idea, but they said, "No!"

I'm searching for the nearly perfect place and hope to one day find it. Time will tell.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM

32 posts, read 56,227 times
New Castle is lovely and rural in the daytime and "Deliverance" at night. Sometimes there is a reason people don't live somewhere.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademsandi View Post
New Castle is lovely and rural in the daytime and "Deliverance" at night. Sometimes there is a reason people don't live somewhere.
I completely disagree with your "Deliverance" assessment. I know people who live in Craig County and they're highly educated (and wealthy) and they enjoy it. The "Deliverance" atmosphere doesn't really gel with a county population of only 5,000 that also happens to have a median household income of $38,000. Craig County poverty statistics actually outperform the state average. If you look at the data you'll find you're much more likely to be a victim of a violent crime in Botetourt County than in Craig County, so I think the "Deliverance" comparison is completely invalid.

Objectively speaking, I think Craig County shortfalls include a sparse population and all of the community resource limitations that a small population implies. Craig County was the last county in Virginia to get a library, and even that library looks to be in danger of closing soon. Now the feds are trying to justify selling public forests to help fund rural schools like those in Craig County. In New Castle their downtown stores are closing their doors; for every store they gain they seem to lose two.

But if you're desparate for reasonably priced real estate and hate growth to the point where you break out in cold sweats when you see a house being built within a mile of your house, and don't mind being a copious distance from the volunteer fire department, then Craig County might be a great place to settle in. But again if I were going to choose between Craig and Franklin County I'd choose Franklin every time. Land and real estate is more expensive here but you're closer to the fastest growing (south) side of the Roanoke metro area where the highest % of the best jobs now and in the future will be.

BTW, I just bumped into a fellow North Cross parent. She works for Roanoke County and they need a .NET Systems Analyst to work with their real estate division. Spread the word if you know anyone who might fit their requirements.

Sean

Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 AM

474 posts, read 2,193,396 times
I have to laugh at the "Deliverance" attitude. Anyone who even has a remote idea of that kind of area has no business living in the south with preconceived prejudice.

Besides, Deliverance was filmed in northeast Georgia.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:49 AM

32 posts, read 56,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
I have to laugh at the "Deliverance" attitude. Anyone who even has a remote idea of that kind of area has no business living in the south with preconceived prejudice.

Besides, Deliverance was filmed in northeast Georgia.
I was not the first to use the "Deliverance" analogy but I stand by it. In 10 years in the construction industry here locally, the data is in. More people with alcohol, anger, education and income challenges have come from New Castle than from any other area. And that place is downright scary at night. Deliverance is more than a movie and "preconceived" does not mean wrong! I wish that God did not allow evil people with prejudice and hatred for others to live anywhere, especially the south, but they do.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:25 AM

567 posts, read 2,142,345 times
Craig county certainly does have some beautiful vistas and properties! It is also definitely rural.

The drive up and down Catawba Mountain, though beautiful, is a tad scary in less-than-ideal weather conditions. Keep that in mind if you are commuting to Roanoke for work. You really need to drive it this summer when you are here.

One other thing to keep in mind about Craig county is lack of medical services. There is no hospital and not even a doctor in the whole county. Everyone goes to Roanoke or Alleghany County for any medical services. They do have a public health department in the county, but they do not provide primary care services.

Just more food for thought!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 13,576 times
I think Craig County is a wonderful place! Rural, scenic, mountainous, centrally located to Blacksburg (go Hokies) and Roanoke, simply put - Gods Country!!!! My mother was born and raised there, and majority of her family still resides in the area. Although I currently live in Richmond VA, I cant wait until i can escape the hustle and bustle of city life and move to the mountains. As far as the Deliverance statements go, I am appalled. Although the movie does have some beautiful scenery, i believe certain aspects of the movie do cast a negative connotations. If I could I would call Craig County my home right now, however unfortunately there is not much economic opportunity up there, thus I still live in Richmond. One day when our winery takes off, I will gladly call Craig County my home!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,935 times
Did I hear this is a winery in Craig County?????

Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,820 times
Hey Georgian, I think Vineyard1 lives in Richmond, VA right now

The closest vineyard that I know of to Craig County is Valhalla Vineyards in Roanoke County; their estate is in the Bent Mountain area of the Roanoke Valley about 30 (?) minutes SW of Craig County. Valhalla has been around since '98; they also have vineyards on Cahas Mountain land about 8 minutes from me in Franklin County on land they lease from the fellow who owns Rocky Top Building Products (Fred Garst?).

BTW for a nearly complete list of Virginia Wineries check out http://www.virginiawines.org/wineries/index.html (broken link)

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia