Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:46 AM

567 posts, read 2,140,850 times

Advertisements

After 32 years, the doctor may finally be in - Roanoke.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,767 times
Default Newcastle

Hi I could probably tell you about anything you need to know about Newcastle, I've lived here most of my life. Think Mayberry. It"s a very small but friendly town. People here are kind and helpful and will rally to pray for you if you are in a bad place, like bad health or a death in the family.We do have a very small airport where locals fly their planes and gliders on nice days. Nothing big could land there though. We just had a new Medical Center open last week, we have a new Family Dollar and a IGA grocery store which sells local grown vegetables and has an exellent meat department. We have a few gas stations. I'm retired now so life is better without the long drive to work. There Isn't many places to work here. Yes we do have KKK here but most of us do not condone it. Our Rebel flags are more pride in our ansters than anything else. Most people probably do not know that the KKK has it's own flag. And we do have a handful of Africian Americans here. It's beautiful here especially in the spring. If you have to drive over Catawaba mountain it can get pretty bad when it snows or sleets, but the winter's here aren't that bad anymore. If you are not married there aren't a lot of single men to choose from, but everybody will be trying to "fix you up" with somebody. Crime here is pretty much nill. the only noise we here is dogs barking, but not real often. We don't even worry if we forget to lock the door. The movie In a Shallow Grave was made here just about a mile from where I live. Its probably about 15 years old now and it wasn't that good, but if you can find it to rent you could see what it looks like here. Michael (I think his last name is Bean or something like that) was in it, he was in The Terminator. We have a great resturant at the foot of Catawba mountain called the Homeplace, on Potts mountain there is the swinging bridge restaurant and store, the Buffalo Chili is great. We also have a pizza place in town across from the Family Dollar and there's the Bell Aire,and Pine top. We also have a Bed and Breakfast just as you are coming into town called Country Squire Inn. I would be happy to help you if you need any more information, my e-mail is KDevinney1@ excite.com. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Karen,

Thanks so much for a wonderful post. I hope to make another trip to VA next year as my first and only trip so far was not long enough to really do much in depth checking. New Castle is a place I must see next time. It really sounds delightful.

Thanks again!!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:46 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Yesterday we took a day trip, starting from our farm in Boones Mill and we drove up 311, through various towns including Catawba, New Castle and Paint Bank, to I-64 and west to the New River Gorge National River park. If memory serves New Castle had some beautiful views and 311 was an easy driving road through New Castle. After, though, it turned into glorified horse cart road until you hit I-64. I could definitely tell that the New Castle area is in a cooler micro-climate compared to my place in Boones Mill, things looked a couple weeks further into fall up there. If you wanted to lean more towards cooler weather in the Roanoke Valley area then that should make the short list. I'd definitely take a look at New Castle, you may find something you really liked there and it's not a booming area so the real estate market would offer lower prices to the buyer.

Sean

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 9,163 times
Default After 27 Yrs

KEWGEE,
jUST BECAME A MEMBER, SO SORRY TO NOT HAVE GIVEN YOU A FEW 'NEWBIE' THOUGHTS ON CRAIG COUNTY & NEW CASTLE IN PARTICULAR.
SMALL WORLD: JUST MOVED HERE LAST WINTER AFTER 12 YRS IN DFW AREA. DON'T KNOW WHY I DIDN'T DO IT SOONER.
I ORIGINALLY CAME FROM NOR. VA, BUT WHEN LOOKING TO RETURN AFTER MY 'SORDID' AEROSPACE CAREER WHICH REQUIRED MOVES EVERY FEW YEARS - COAST-TO-COAST - I WAS READY TO WIND UP IN A PLACE WHERE AT LEAST I COULD FIND GOOD PEOPLE, AFFORDABLE RE, ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY AREA, & ROOM TO TURN AROUND. THIS OBVIOUSLY WASN'T GOING TO BE ARLINGTON OR FAIRFAX......

AS I WAS COMING TO ROANOKE ON A NEW ASSIGNMENT, I TOOK MY MAP & DREW VARIOUS MILEAGE CIRCLES & NEW CASTLE FALLS IN THE 25-30 MILE CONCENTRIC. LSS(LONG STORY SHORT), AFTER INTENSIVE RE VIEWING UP TO 50-60 MILES OUT, ENDED UP FINDING THE 'DREAM' IN NCASTLE. OTHER AREAS ARE ALSO APPEALING & DO YOURSELF A FAVOR BY CHECKING THEM ALL OUT (DWNTN ROANOKE, FOR INSTANCE, IS PRETTY COOL & A SURE-FIRE BET FOR FUTURE GROWTH & AMBIANCE).
BUT NEW CASTLE FOR ME WAS A GOOD JUXTAPOSITION OF COUNTRY/COMMUTE/VALUE/CHARACTER.

SO THE 4 DOGS & ME PACKED UP & MOVED TO A SYLVAN LITTLE PARADISE.
IF YOU DON'T REQUIRE A STARBUCKS ON THE CORNER (THOUGH THERE'S A SUBWAY SHOP COMING), YOU'LL DO FINE.

PS. CHECK OUT THE NEW B&B: COUNTRY SQUIRES INN ON 311.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Cary Mebach,

Wow, what a delightful post to find this evening. It sounds like New Castle is your heaven on earth and sounds wonderful to me. I have just got to get back next summer and check it out as well as other areas. I did a lot of web site checking on New Castle regarding crime, cost of living, air quality, people, weather, and the like and really was quite set on such a place to relocate. I hope I can leave this hot place called Texas one of these days.

Not having a Starbucks is fine with me as I never go there anyway. I require very simple things in this life, and New Castle sounds like it may be just what the doctor ordered. Important to me is peace, quiet, beauty, nice weather, and good values. It doesn't get easier than that.

If I do settle in SW Va, living close to Roanoke is the LARGE city I've chosen. I don't want to be too close to it though, and I know New Castle isn't.

How is the mountain road going up to New Castle? Is it as scary as I was told when I was in VA? I'm also a chicken at new things and it takes me a while to get used to being out of my comfort zone. I need to grow up.

Thanks so much for your post.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 AM

311 is not that bad. It will be scary the first time or two, as it was for me, but you do get used to the roads around here. The road is fairly wide and has guard rails too. That is a bonus, because some roads don't have those "luxuries." Like 12 o'clock Knob Road. Now that, I've heard from my husband, is an experience!

Take it from someone who did not grow up in the mountains and spent 3 years in very FLAT Florida after getting married.

If you aren't commuting on it every day to get to Roanoke, then it shouldn't be an issue. It's fine - it's a beautiful mountain road.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
311 is not that bad. It will be scary the first time or two, as it was for me, but you do get used to the roads around here. The road is fairly wide and has guard rails too. That is a bonus, because some roads don't have those "luxuries." Like 12 o'clock Knob Road. Now that, I've heard from my husband, is an experience!

Take it from someone who did not grow up in the mountains and spent 3 years in very FLAT Florida after getting married.

If you aren't commuting on it every day to get to Roanoke, then it shouldn't be an issue. It's fine - it's a beautiful mountain road.

Thank you, Erin1264. I'll just have to "suck it up" the first time or two and just do it. Do you live in New Castle?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM

No, but my work takes me there occasionally. And I've been up "over the mountain on 311" to eat at the Homeplace a couple of times. We like to take our out of town guests there when they visit. And I've hiked McAfee's Knob - the trailhead is on 311.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,612 times
Default Craigs Creek

Just bought property in the Johns Creek/Craigs Creek area.
Great fishing on the Black Diamond development.
I will be building a house in the next two years and things to do while I construct the house and meet my subcontractors.

Hope to find places to visit and more trout streams to fish in the mean time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia