Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 13,572 times

Advertisements

Actually my brother and i started a vineyard in craig county 3yrs ago. this yr will be our first harvest. We are growing: Petit Verdot, Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Chambourcin, Chardonnay, and Rieseling. Elevation is a little high, thus with the shorter growing season the reds are not doing nearly as well as the whites... but only time will tell. keeps your fingers crossed and if anyone has any ideas feel free to pass them on to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 10:35 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Awesome Vineyard1! I look forward to ordering a case

Sean

Old 04-06-2007, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 13,572 times
Default Movie Filming in Craig County???

I recently heard that a movie (The Rosewood Casket) may be filmed in Craig County!!!! Start the buzz, bring the support!!! Its between Asheville NC and Craig County.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,252 times
I lived in New Castle for about 10 years. Still have family there. Moved to take care of aging mother and will be going back, maybe somewhere near, as soon as circumstances permit.
New Castle has been described as "Old buildings being held up by old people", a reference to the wood sidewalk around the old, civil war era, hotel.
The town has a popululation of about 500 with the county pop. of about
5000. The major industry is agriculture, primarily beef.
Night life consists of cruising and hanging out for the young.
Most people have jobs "in the valley" , Roanoke, Blacksburg, or Salem.
The drive is about 30 - 40 mins. to the nearest metro area, but instead of a rush hour on Rt 311, there's a rush 5 min. A positive side of the commute; if you do break down, someone will stop to help within minutes. A caution; because it is a well traveled rural road, the state police are always there with minimum tolerance for speeding. When not cruising he is usually sitting at the county line. (He will be very polite while writing your ticket).
I think it is a great place to live for retired or semi-retired which explains the low per-capita income, or anyone willing to drive a little for full time employment.
There are no blacks living in Craig that I know of due to the retarded views of a few citizens. The KKK had a rally several years ago at a local park, and they were politely let know that that their views were NOT welcome by the majority. They were largely ingored.
Last comment, the only things I can make of the Deliverance commets are the mountain setting, and a very few people still beleiving the south should have one the Civil War.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:15 PM

12 posts, read 37,994 times
Hi folks,

My first 'residence' in Virginia was a farm house on 300 acres in Craig county. Rent was $350 a month, and we had the run of the acreage. After 2 years there, the farm was sold, and the new owners bought us out of our lease.

A few tidbits.

1) we were in the 'Sinking Creek' area, not New Castle. New Castle is a lot lower elevation than much of the county, which, if you're gonna live in the hills, you might as well get some altitude!

2) Shopping- none
3) Dining- none
4) Medical- none
5) Views- excellent
6) Peace and quite- excellent
7) Hunting- excellent

Local folks- tolerant and helpful, but don't expect to be 'family' for about 4 or 5 generations.

Deliverance? Doubtful, there is more deviant behaviour in the big cities than they have ever had out there! I know, I've been to both.

There are quite a few of the faculty from VT that live there (Western section- Newport, Sinking Creek, etc.).

They (county) do NOT encourage growth. For new construction, they have a minimum of 5 acres with 300 ft. of road frontage. The 'road frontage' is the killer. This does not apply to grandfathered properties.

Good luck on your search!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Thanks Jack5510 and Blacksburg1 for more information regarding Craig County. I can't wait to visit southwestern VA and check out all the places I've been reading about.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 AM

Actually, I don't like that KKK bit. That's kind of creepy, and I don't like those kinds of people of my race.

Is there an air field of sort in New Castle or Craig County?

Wherever I go, I don't want to be around trains, planes, traffic, or anything else that isn't nature. That includes the noise of guns and hunting, so maybe Craig County wouldn't be for me.

Ugh!!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM

35 posts, read 143,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademsandi View Post
I was not the first to use the "Deliverance" analogy but I stand by it. In 10 years in the construction industry here locally, the data is in. More people with alcohol, anger, education and income challenges have come from New Castle than from any other area. And that place is downright scary at night. Deliverance is more than a movie and "preconceived" does not mean wrong! I wish that God did not allow evil people with prejudice and hatred for others to live anywhere, especially the south, but they do.

Wow. Just... wow.

You know, just because you aren't happy in the place you work/live, doesn't mean you should try to trash it to other people.

Your statement about - 'More people with alcohol, anger, education and income challenges have come from New Castle than from any other area.' How about providing foundation for that, okay? More people? Do you mean in the nation? The state? The county? What DID you mean? And please provide a link to a reputable source verifying your slurs.

As far as your fear factor at night, well, I think you are exagerrating more than just a little bit. Sure, rural life is not for everyone, or even the majority of people. (Maybe it is, who knows...) Still, why trash a small town place just because you feel out of place there, as all indications point towards in your post?

Come on, do what the people you are trashing would do for you - be nice. Sure the other person might not notice, as you probably haven't recognized the locals' attempts at welcoming you into their fold, but still, it's what you SHOULD do...

Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,204 times
Smile Craig County

We are currently building a cabin down thr road from New Castle, It is a beautiful town and a place to get away from it all, there is lots of hiking and sight seeing like Mountain Lake where Dirty Dancing was filmed, kayaking on the New River. Very peaceful! and the people there are so nice. If you are coming in september we are currently working on posting our rental property and it will be done in August early september and I can keep you posted. You can see it on www.cyberrentals.com, I just posted it last night so we are waiting for approval.

Oh, ya Paintbank has a great restraunt that you would enjoy, and try the homeplace restruant, its open on Frid, Sat, Sunday, great home cooking!

Good Luck, and let me know what you think about Craig County?

Mechelle

Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechelle Logan View Post
We are currently building a cabin down thr road from New Castle, It is a beautiful town and a place to get away from it all, there is lots of hiking and sight seeing like Mountain Lake where Dirty Dancing was filmed, kayaking on the New River. Very peaceful! and the people there are so nice. If you are coming in september we are currently working on posting our rental property and it will be done in August early september and I can keep you posted. You can see it on www.cyberrentals.com, I just posted it last night so we are waiting for approval.

Oh, ya Paintbank has a great restraunt that you would enjoy, and try the homeplace restruant, its open on Frid, Sat, Sunday, great home cooking!

Good Luck, and let me know what you think about Craig County?

Mechelle
I'm hoping to travel to VA in June if all goes the way I'm planning it to go. I can't wait to see this drop-dead gorgeous (as Sean puts it) part of the country. New Castle sounds wonderful and rural is what I'd like.

If I do decide that the move to VA is for me, it probably won't be for at least a year, maybe more. Time will tell.

Thanks to abdnva for your comforting words about Deliverance. That really would be hard to imagine. I guess everyone has their own view about places. I know I do about where I now live.

Is there a little air landing strip in New Castle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia