Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2019, 08:35 AM

419 posts, read 905,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
That’s interesting speculation I guess, but nearly impossible to debate or project without an extensive look into details most people don’t even think about. As you say, it’s all about breaking it down and seeing the details.

For instance, property taxes which you cite are paid directly to the county or city. Regarding schools and the judiciary, Virginia has huge discrepancies already. One article about the school funding formula in Virginia: (There are many articles but the Roanoke paper has been cited before so why not! lol):
https://www.roanoke.com/opinion/comm...81f19.amp.html

I’m actually really encouraged by your post because it seems you assume these—schools, health department, and judiciary among other things—*should* be funded equally across the Commonwealth which is not now the case. I guess my point is the rural counties are already fending for themselves more than NoVa may realize. And now with the new general assembly taking place, it seems they are far more interested in violating individual rights rather than looking at fair funding formulas for roads and schools. I guess the Gun Control lobby and Bloomberg expects results after funding the campaign.
While there are inequities between economic regions (rural and inner city face many similar financial issues) there are still more net resources available to these regions in a weatlier state. Simply splitting off the rural regions into a different state would take those resources away and make the economic reality much worse for the new state.
In Virginia I have lived in rural regions and been active in the economic development and local government. While the county received much less on a per capita basis it was more when the contributory amount of the county was taken into account. As an example where the numbers are made up but the ratios are not-Basically the county paid into the general fund in taxes per person 10.00 and received 17.00 per person. this while the NOVA area paid 26.00 per person and received 22.00 per person. Even if we assume the new state economy operates at the same level each person in the new rural state county would have a 10 dollar deficit.
Keep in mind that the numbers are made up but the ratios are close to what they were in 2017. I would have to go find the budget analysis that showed it but it is out there.

the basis question is the moral principle worth degrading the quality of life? This applies to any issue regarding reasons to split a state off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't really buy into this line of reasoning. And here's why: urban areas get their wealth by exploiting the resources of rural areas cheaply, and reselling them at higher prices. Cities can't even exist without the resources the rural areas have. Rural areas can exist without the city. A dollar at the end of the day is just a piece of paper with ink on it. You can't eat it or drink it. If, for example, you're hungry and need food, and I have food, but refuse to take the money you offer me for it, you don't have any wealth at all. You're just going to starve.
In the broadest of views you are right. In the practical I have to live my life everyday view it does not matter. There are many substitute goods for any the general rural areas produce. In my experience most of the resources of the rural areas are not controlled by the residents of the areas but by conglomerate forms and entities that are not particularly interested in anyone's constitutional rights.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoen1x View Post
and much of the things "city money" brings the country can do without. After all the motto of the country people is Use it up, wear it out, Make do, or do without.

It won't be easy, But then again whenever is it easy?
Unless you are really practicing self sufficiency- (using the internet generally means that not happening) this is not really practicable. Hard is doable practicable is not for most people. Having lived in the rural areas of Virginia i don't see them being able to sustain the necessary basic medical services without outside supplemental aid. It would be worse if they broke off from the greater state. Right now its difficult to ge a doctor to relocate to a rural area and I think nearly impossible if the new state thing happens.
Think of roads and maintenance. Even if you count the local tractors etc I know when there have been significant snow storms the equipment needed was provided by the state and fueled as well.

look to any social entity that has to do without and i don't think most who want a new state would be willing to trade down to that standard of living.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:20 AM

35,188 posts, read 31,503,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
While there are inequities between economic regions (rural and inner city face many similar financial issues) there are still more net resources available to these regions in a weatlier state. Simply splitting off the rural regions into a different state would take those resources away and make the economic reality much worse for the new state.
In Virginia I have lived in rural regions and been active in the economic development and local government. While the county received much less on a per capita basis it was more when the contributory amount of the county was taken into account. As an example where the numbers are made up but the ratios are not-Basically the county paid into the general fund in taxes per person 10.00 and received 17.00 per person. this while the NOVA area paid 26.00 per person and received 22.00 per person. Even if we assume the new state economy operates at the same level each person in the new rural state county would have a 10 dollar deficit.
Keep in mind that the numbers are made up but the ratios are close to what they were in 2017. I would have to go find the budget analysis that showed it but it is out there.

the basis question is the moral principle worth degrading the quality of life? This applies to any issue regarding reasons to split a state off.
I can guarantee you that many of the people in rural VA who are all upset over the 2A issues would be glad to leave. With that said, most have no clue that their immediate area would lack the tax dollars to keep up necessary services.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,415,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
look to any social entity that has to do without and i don't think most who want a new state would be willing to trade down to that standard of living.
For Freedom, Independence, Constitutional Rights, Conservative Common Sense Laws and Politics, just to name a few, they can keep their Money.

Think of it the other way around. If you, them, or whoever if refers to, had all those things above and then some, would you "sell it all out" just for Money??

No way here.

And I believe I speak for the vast majority of us all here in the wide-spread Red territory of Virginia.

Many don't realize what is real important to us out there.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,653,605 times
What public comments has the NRA made about the situation in Virginia?

Old 12-31-2019, 03:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,415,685 times
While the NRA is faltering, the GOA and VCDL are booming.

Both, actually all 3, are based in Virginia.

https://gunowners.org/

https://www.vcdl.org/

Old 12-31-2019, 03:59 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,281,066 times
I'm bailing from the NRA after many years and trying to figure out which one I'll join. Still not sure.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,314,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
While the NRA is faltering, the GOA and VCDL are booming.

Both, actually all 3, are based in Virginia.

https://gunowners.org/

https://www.vcdl.org/
Can the GOA and VCDL affect elections like the NRA does?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:48 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,890,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolitionman2 View Post
Just heard on the news, am still listening, how Virginia voters are turning out in numbers to protest against new gun laws proposed by Virginia government. What is going on down there Virginians? Have heard that governor/legislature is/has enacted draconian gun laws and is considering directing the National Guard/State Police to enforce them if Virginia gun owners refuse to abide by them. I am with you Virginia 2nd amendment gun owners. Tell us what's happening......
I am not a resident of Virginia but my question is: Can the rights outlined in the BILL oF Rights in the US Constitution be taken away by ANY State?

The American Revolution in the 1770s was a direct result of Gun Control laws similar to the ones proposed in Virginia and ALREADY in place in one form or another in states like illinois, Massachusetts, New York, California, New Jersey and others.

This link explains the Virginia outrage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_md3j5YZg

I hope thousands of PATRIOTS show up in Richmond on 01/20/20.

IMHO the only way another Revolution can be avoided is for a huge turnout in November 2020 resulting in a landslide reelection of Trump and Senators and congressmen that will SUPPORT the Second Amendment. Note I did not say vote GOP exclusively because Democrats and Republicans are not the ONLY game in town. It looks like the NEXT president will appoint two SCOTUS justices, Ginsberg and Breyer possibly. If that President is Trump he will probably appoint Justices friendly to the Rights outlined in the Second Amendment. That is the way I hope it works out. The next Revolution/Civil War would be bloody beyond belief and I hope it does not happen.

Last edited by Gunluvver2; 12-31-2019 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia