Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 09:26 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times

Advertisements

We are a retiring couple who is looking for a townhouse with a garage, with lots of trees, a settled older neighborhood not on a major street. Our budget is up to $1M. 3 bedrooms/2+ baths, and nice outdoor space, whether it be balconies, decks, patios, etc.

A lock and leave type of thing. And hopefully updated, or priced under the budget so that updates could be done.

Do any particular developments come to mind? I'm familiar with Chatsworth on Oregon Ave. (in the District) and that sort of fits the bill, though those townhouses are quite large.

Thank you, in advance, for your opinion/information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 09:27 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
We are a retiring couple who is looking for a townhouse with a garage, with lots of trees, a settled older neighborhood not on a major street. Our budget is up to $1M. 3 bedrooms/2+ baths, and nice outdoor space, whether it be balconies, decks, patios, etc.

A lock and leave type of thing. And hopefully updated, or priced under the budget so that updates could be done.

Do any particular developments come to mind? I'm familiar with Chatsworth on Oregon Ave. (in the District) and that sort of fits the bill, though those townhouses are quite large.

Thank you, in advance, for your opinion/information.
How far out of DC do you want and what kind of "stuff" do you want to be near? I'm not involved in any way in the real estate industry so I'm not selling the links.

San Francisco by the Bay, North Beach, MD

https://www.homes.com/property/3636-...-900000497928/

https://www.homes.com/property/3816-...-400012830245/

Windward Key, Chesapeake Beach, MD

8079 WINDWARD KEY DR, CHESAPEAKE BEACH, MD 20732

You could also look in the Chesapeake Station subdivision in Chesapeake Beach as well as Richfield Station.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:10 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How far out of DC do you want and what kind of "stuff" do you want to be near? I'm not involved in any way in the real estate industry so I'm not selling the links.
Thanks for providing the links, though we'd like to be within 40 driving minutes of the District. My sister lives in NW (Hawthorne) right near the DC/MD line and my son lives near Logan Circle.

The purpose of this townhouse would be to spend extended amounts of time, weeks at a time, at various times of the year. As we age, we would spend more time up there and eventually give up our current residence. So although I'm attracted to more natural, almost rural areas, being far out in sparser population and with extensive lawns wouldn't be a good plan for aging in place.

That the metro DC residential areas have so many wooded buffer areas, that Rock Creek Park has so many branches and that there are so many established neighborhoods I think would make it easy to find certain pockets of neighborhoods which are woodsy and feel cozy and a bit private, even though it's a large city metro!

That's my hope.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:17 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
Thanks for providing the links, though we'd like to be within 40 driving minutes of the District. My sister lives in NW (Hawthorne) right near the DC/MD line and my son lives near Logan Circle.

The purpose of this townhouse would be to spend extended amounts of time, weeks at a time, at various times of the year. As we age, we would spend more time up there and eventually give up our current residence. So although I'm attracted to more natural, almost rural areas, being far out in sparser population and with extensive lawns wouldn't be a good plan for aging in place.

That the metro DC residential areas have so many wooded buffer areas, that Rock Creek Park has so many branches and that there are so many established neighborhoods I think would make it easy to find certain pockets of neighborhoods which are woodsy and feel cozy and a bit private, even though it's a large city metro!

That's my hope.
Depending on your definition of "older," I'd think DC proper clearly makes the most sense. DC suburbs aren't going to have many townhomes earlier than the 60s. And for townhomes with garages you're probably talking about the 80s at the earliest, e.g. https://www.redfin.com/MD/Rockville/.../home/10539915

Old 08-14-2021, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,830 times
We have some questions regarding to DC Area .
1. What is the best place to live in Maryland side of DC metro ? we have two kids, 9 and 12 years old.
2. Housing, budget is about 900-1 mil . 4 bed rooms are our ideal home.
3. Job, I'm 45 year old, I have more than 18 years of experience working in IT ( Data Analyst/Analytics ) . Contract job is fine.
4. Wife is working for federal but we would like to relocate to DC metro .
My question, is it feasible to live in DC metro and a job for 45 years old ?

Regards,

Paul

Old 08-14-2021, 06:08 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxn View Post
We have some questions regarding to DC Area .
1. What is the best place to live in Maryland side of DC metro ? we have two kids, 9 and 12 years old.
2. Housing, budget is about 900-1 mil . 4 bed rooms are our ideal home.
3. Job, I'm 45 year old, I have more than 18 years of experience working in IT ( Data Analyst/Analytics ) . Contract job is fine.
4. Wife is working for federal but we would like to relocate to DC metro .
My question, is it feasible to live in DC metro and a job for 45 years old ?

Regards,

Paul
1: Broadly speaking, Montgomery County.

2: Housing budget is fine.

3: Contract job should be fine in Md. Probably better in Va, so watch for any commute pitfalls.

4: Yes it's feasible. Others besides me, recommend renting for a year before buying.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:38 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyung View Post
My father would like to spend less than $500K on his house for his retirement. He currently owns a house on 7 acres of land in Fairfax Station, where the Red Cross originated during the American Civil War.

Fort Washington lacks Asian supermarkets, and the National Harbor and Tanger do not appear to fill this void. Aside from a small Filipino population, Fort Washington seems to draw very few Asians. Which areas of DC Maryland houses most Asian Indians and East Asians?
Montgomery County and DC near Woodley Park.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise Indian View Post
My child is looking to buy a townhome in either Howard County or Anne Arundel County in the next two or so months. What is the market like for a home 1-10 years old.
Any thoughts hugely appreciated. Budget $300K to $350K!!

Is there a bidding war?
How much higher than list price do homes close for?

Thanks
You need to provide more information, because any advice will be based on commute needs. Where will your child work or attend school?

Old 08-15-2021, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
1: Broadly speaking, Montgomery County.

2: Housing budget is fine.

3: Contract job should be fine in Md. Probably better in Va, so watch for any commute pitfalls.

4: Yes it's feasible. Others besides me, recommend renting for a year before buying.
Thank you vey much for the information. Rockville, Bethesda, Potomac, which city is better ?

Regards,

Paul

Old 08-15-2021, 11:27 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
No one would describe Potomac as a city or anything like it. Best known for mansions on multi-acre lots, but there are also regular homes. There are two village shopping centers beside each other at an intersection, both with grocery stores. Failing that you have to go to Rockville or Bethesda for shopping and most other things too.

Bethesda if you can afford it, has a walkable downtown, that is preferable to Rockville, which is defined mostly by commercial strips along Rockville Pike aka R.355.
SFH in Bethesda will generally be more expensive than Rockville.

You could look at areas between Bethesda and Rockville, around the Grosvenor and Twinbrook Metro stops.

I would start by finding the least expensive house in the most expensive school district and then adjust up or down from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland