Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times

Advertisements

According to the most recent development update report, one of the largest European grocers, Lidl, is planning to build a store at the Clarion Inn site at 8601 Baltimore Ave. The store also plans to open a location in Bowie.

Although Lidl is "early in the process," Schum said a grocery store at that location would be useful to residents. The grocer has yet to officially file anything with the county and will continue to meet with city and county officials, as well as residents, before finalizing any site plans.

Lidl grocery store could come to Route 1 as College Park seeks to expand food options - The Diamondback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:49 AM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
Art house opening in Dec per this article:

Art house restaurant hoping to join Route 1 in December - The Diamondback

Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post

Nice! It will be interesting to watch the transformation from what it is now to the new format. I think adding glass on that block really mixes things up between the old and the new.

It is also good that it is opening up in the middle of a school year and not the spring when all of the students will be away for the summer.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
College Park shows how college towns are becoming hubs of innovation | Global Risk Insights

Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 AM

Bikeshare program in College Park starts in May.

Quote:
Starting May 4, 120 bikes will be available for use at seven bike stations on the University of Maryland campus and seven stations in the city. Schum said that while the locations are not yet finalized, people can expect to see stations in downtown College Park, the College Park Metro station, Domain College Park on Mowatt Lane, the Hollywood neighborhood and Northgate Park just south of The Varsity.
College Park bike-share program to launch in May - The Diamondback

Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 AM

Another win for the Greater College Park Initiative.

Quote:
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – FactGem, a next-generation data analytics company, is moving its headquarters to College Park, relocating from its former offices in Ohio. The addition of FactGem to the area’s growing startup community builds on the University of Maryland’s Greater College Park initiative, which is designed to enhance the academic campus and the surrounding communities.

"Welcoming an innovative startup like FactGem to College Park is another great opportunity to bring the public and private sectors together, opening new doors for our students and faculty,” said Carlo Colella, UMD's vice president for administration and finance. "FactGem is an exciting addition to our community and we look forward to working closely with them as our neighbors in Greater College Park.”
Data Analytics Startup FactGem Opens for Business in College Park | UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland

Old 03-26-2016, 01:22 PM

Some FAQs about the Phillips Collection Facility in College Park. I hope it is a separate building with unique architecture. Perhaps the kind that BIG designs. I hope they can find some room on RT. 1

It looks to open in 2021. Hopefully the Purple Line will be nearing completion by then.

Quote:
Why is the Phillips building an offsite facility with UMD in Prince George's County?
A large percentage of the museum’s collection
remains in storage and in need of constant care
within carefully controlled conditions. The Phillips
will work with UMD to make a greater portion of
the museum’s exceptional collection available for
public viewing through the development of new
open storage facilities in Prince George’s County.
This project would spark county and statewide
economic development and dramatically expand
outreach to students, faculty, the local
community and a range of national and
international visitors.

When will the new facility open and where will it be located?
The open storage facility will be located in Prince
George’s County and is projected to open soon
after the Phillips’s centennial celebrations.

What will the new facility offer?
The new public facility will serve as a branch of
the Phillips in Prince George’s County, a cuttingedge
modern and contemporary art center, hub
for experimentation and innovation, and an
artistic laboratory for a global community. The
facility will also provide a meeting place for
students, the community, and a wide range of
national and international visitors.
http://www.phillipscollection.org/si...UMD%20FAQs.pdf

Old 03-26-2016, 02:26 PM

I can tell you a company called Flexel took a bunch of space, leasing in a U of M facility. This firm came out of the incubator. They flirted with Northern VA but UM managed to keep them in CP. Less expensive office space will do that to a new firm.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I can tell you a company called Flexel took a bunch of space, leasing in a U of M facility. This firm came out of the incubator. They flirted with Northern VA but UM managed to keep them in CP. Less expensive office space will do that to a new firm.
Let's hope College Park and the surrounding area remains attractive. The Purple Line should aid in this effort. I just wish all of this transformation started 20 years ago. A tale of two different UMD administrations?

Old 03-26-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Let's hope College Park and the surrounding area remains attractive. The Purple Line should aid in this effort. I just wish all of this transformation started 20 years ago. A tale of two different UMD administrations?
Frankly, I don't expect to be here when that Purple Line is operational.....god willing, I'll be breathing and all that, but I really don't see that part of Metro completed for a long, long time. I hope to be living somewhere else in 10 years.....but I cringe at the thought of the final bill to complete this...my guess is, its double what they estimate today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland