Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2023, 06:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
this is far from over. Now Congress gets to decide.
Better to be in MD's position than not. The boxes are checked. I think it's highly likely to come this way now. Greenbelt is pretty easily the best site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 07:43 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here come the lawsuits.
What would America be if it didn't offer ways to delay a project that has already been delayed for almost a decade? Purple Line anyone?

However, I do believe that having agonized over criteria back and forth for years, the chances are slim any lawsuit would stick. There were many times to object. Both states sat down with the GSA and each had a chance to plead their case.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Congress found a way to delay this another decade.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Better to be in MD's position than not. The boxes are checked. I think it's highly likely to come this way now. Greenbelt is pretty easily the best site.
Agreed. Better to fight to maintain the win than to snatch it from someone else. If VA ever had an uphill battle, they got one now.

TBH, they got all the data centers in Loudoun county and Amazon HQ2. MD got a heavily bureaucratic arm of the Federal Government who doesn't get as much funding as the DoD. I wouldn't be shedding many tears if I were VA.

The FBI has been in a crumbing facility for decades while the DoD gets shiny net fighter jets and bombs. And sends billions to other countries. I don't see the government throwing money at the FBI all of a sudden.

Old 11-09-2023, 02:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Agreed. Better to fight to maintain the win than to snatch it from someone else. If VA ever had an uphill battle, they got one now.

TBH, they got all the data centers in Loudoun county and Amazon HQ2. MD got a heavily bureaucratic arm of the Federal Government who doesn't get as much funding as the DoD. I wouldn't be shedding many tears if I were VA.

The FBI has been in a crumbing facility for decades while the DoD gets shiny net fighter jets and bombs. And sends billions to other countries. I don't see the government throwing money at the FBI all of a sudden.
LOL, it will be at least 10 years or longer before it even starts. If MD keeps it, voters are strange with their money.

Old 11-09-2023, 01:13 PM

And so it begins.....

Quote:
A board that included representatives from the GSA and the FBI unanimously agreed on Springfield, Wray wrote. But a senior GSA executive changed course and went with Greenbelt, the FBI director said.
https://wtop.com/government/2023/11/...-headquarters/

Few comments.

1. Did Wray not know that the senior executive with the power to overturn a vote had a potential conflict of interest BEFORE the decision? I mean, he's director of the FBI. This senior GSA executive could have easily been recused.

2. Cat's out of the bag. Like I said before, it is easier to fight a loser than a winner. In the public eye, Greenbelt was chosen. Any wrangling after the fact will just create a big mess and a lot of animosity.

3. Who should be at fault? FBI? GSA? Biden Admin? Senators? This was a highly political move. Probably should have had some people who had no skin in the game, which I thought was the case - a board of objective voters.

4. Were people unaware that a decision could be vetoed? Why even have a board if the decision could be vetoed by one person? Sure, that makes sense. Can the vetoer be vetoed?

5. Has the POTUS or the White House confirmed the decision? If not, this will get messy.

6. Why can't we have nice things? lol

Old 11-09-2023, 01:59 PM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
And so it begins.....

https://wtop.com/government/2023/11/...-headquarters/

Few comments.

1. Did Wray not know that the senior executive with the power to overturn a vote had a potential conflict of interest BEFORE the decision? I mean, he's director of the FBI. This senior GSA executive could have easily been recused.

2. Cat's out of the bag. Like I said before, it is easier to fight a loser than a winner. In the public eye, Greenbelt was chosen. Any wrangling after the fact will just create a big mess and a lot of animosity.

3. Who should be at fault? FBI? GSA? Biden Admin? Senators? This was a highly political move. Probably should have had some people who had no skin in the game, which I thought was the case - a board of objective voters.

4. Were people unaware that a decision could be vetoed? Why even have a board if the decision could be vetoed by one person? Sure, that makes sense. Can the vetoer be vetoed?

5. Has the POTUS or the White House confirmed the decision? If not, this will get messy.

6. Why can't we have nice things? lol
Well, with the former employer/owner of the site being a quasi-governmental agency there isn't any chance of this appointee getting a kickback.

Yes, I had trouble saying that with a straight face.

Old 11-09-2023, 03:16 PM

4,405 posts, read 4,300,828 times
I wonder if this will have any impact on Konterra town center site

Old 11-09-2023, 04:25 PM

Something isn't right. So, according to the GSA document, Greenbelt won based on the weighted criteria. By far. So, how can the whole panel, according to Wray, vote for Springfield if the quantitative analysis pointed to Greenbelt?

Something is afoot. I mean did the senior official who vetoed the decision rewrite the summary? According to Wray, the summary would have shown Springfield as the clear winner with an addendum that said the selection was vetoed and here's why.

Do we believe Wray and the Virginia politicians, or the written summary?

https://www.gsa.gov/system/files/FBI...%20%282%29.pdf

Old 11-09-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I wonder if this will have any impact on Konterra town center site
I think Viva White Oak would be a bigger impact on Konterra. However, not sure when that project will kick off.

Viva White Oak - Viva White Oak

Greenbelt isn't necessarily close enough to Konterra to have much of an impact in regards to economic development. I think the surrounding areas such as Greenbelt and College Park would see more impact.

I think Langley Park, because of the Purple Line and now the FBI right down 193, is now a viable redevelopment/gentrification candidate. But that's a whole other discussion.

Old 11-10-2023, 04:36 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:

Something isn't right. So, according to the GSA document, Greenbelt won based on the weighted criteria. By far. So, how can the whole panel, according to Wray, vote for Springfield if the quantitative analysis pointed to Greenbelt?

Something is afoot. I mean did the senior official who vetoed the decision rewrite the summary? According to Wray, the summary would have shown Springfield as the clear winner with an addendum that said the selection was vetoed and here's why.

Do we believe Wray and the Virginia politicians, or the written summary?

https://www.gsa.gov/system/files/FBI...%20%282%29.pdf
There should be an investigation into why the whole panel ignored the results and vote for Springfield if there’s going to be one about why it was vetoed. Something isn’t right if they voted that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland