Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times

Advertisements

You know I was going to respond to this but I thought it was some bull. For anybody that thinks that Waldorf or Charles County is a dangerous place has obviously lived in a cocoon. While I will say that no places is perfect and crime free, Waldorf is the least of peoples problems. That person must have been tired of the whole D.C. area period. Good follow up though Mom 21, I feel the same way. People **** me off when they flee to Charles county and think it's a perfect haven and get scared that folks from P.G. and D.C. moved there. Just ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
Charles County has not gotten any worse than any other area in this state as it pertains to crime. CRIME HAS INCREASED EVERYWHERE, PEOPLE! Even in rural areas that are less populated you find home invasions, drug manufacturing and distribution are on the rise. You are are not flocking to areas that have no crime, which appears to be what you are looking for. Sure, you can choose areas that have less crime than others, and I will stack those areas up against Charles County any day, and you will NOT find that Charles County has disproportionately more crime than its surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default boredatwork

Pg, charles, montgomery no matter where you live ppl just stop being cowards or stop being ignorant of places ....choose both or either or

Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Pg, charles, montgomery no matter where you live ppl just stop being cowards or stop being ignorant of places ....choose both or either or
My latest thinking about multiresidential living is this: tenant or condo owner: I would need a video hall monitor because for me the hall is the most local neighborhood. It still can be private. Otherwise, I'd consider you sneaky. It's like kids telling parents: this is my room and you can't come in here. We all own the hall way together. How else do you look after your most local community? I think we should all encourage that for public multiresidential housing. Encourage halls as the most local community. That's really basic neighborhood watch to me.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 PM

82 posts, read 150,582 times
Default Charles County not worse -

Let me tell you, I have lived in or near Charles county most of my life. I never said it was worse than other areas, but I don't know about you, I am sick of worrying about my kids in these schools that do nothing with the bullies. There is way more crime than you even know about at the mall. i know, I worked there. People don't realize how much crime actually happens at that mall. It is not told. I heard it every day. I live in a neighborhood that is considered good and my neighbors are good but my car has been stolen 3 times in less than a year. I don't know about you but there have got to be nicer and safer places than this. it's a shame what the world has become. Too many people are not raising their kids right. That's what I honestly think it is. The parents either have issues or are not home to raise them. O well, another forum for this.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times
Well I will begin with saying this. I am deeply sorry for your experiences. I too was a victim, having my car window smashed in two times and my ipod stolen out of my car. With that said, the area that I was in is considered a safe neighborhood. My friend crime happens, while it is annoying and aggravating, it happens. It's nothing you can do about it.

People go through great extremes to protect themselves. Whether it's moving 50 miles away from high crime areas, to having ADT, deadbolt locks and iron and fences on there windows. The point of the matter is this, if somebody really wants to do something to you or your property they will do it. It's not too much that you can do about it. I lived in Dover, Delaware for about a year and a half. It is a small town about 36,000 people. It was safe and a place where you could leave your door unlocked. However, while I was there 3 people were shot and killed at Delaware State University. I mention this, because it was unexpected and definitely not a ordinary event for this town.

Girlwithnolife, I understand that crime has increased in Waldorf. To portray it as an unsafe area is bit of exaggeration. Crime has increase in some of the most prestigous counties in the D.C. area. It happens when you have an increase in population, something that Waldorf and Charles County is experiencing. I wish you the best in your search of your utopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Let me tell you, I have lived in or near Charles county most of my life. I never said it was worse than other areas, but I don't know about you, I am sick of worrying about my kids in these schools that do nothing with the bullies. There is way more crime than you even know about at the mall. i know, I worked there. People don't realize how much crime actually happens at that mall. It is not told. I heard it every day. I live in a neighborhood that is considered good and my neighbors are good but my car has been stolen 3 times in less than a year. I don't know about you but there have got to be nicer and safer places than this. it's a shame what the world has become. Too many people are not raising their kids right. That's what I honestly think it is. The parents either have issues or are not home to raise them. O well, another forum for this.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 PM

311 posts, read 1,386,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Your best bet would be to move out of Maryland altogether. If you're renting in a place that you don't like, perhaps money is an issue? If so maybe you could consider King George across the bridge? I'm just speculating because everything there seems to be a lot more spread out and less people generally means less crime. Since you said you were retiring anyway, commuting wouldn't be an issue. Even keeping your mall job would be do-able as it's only about a half hour to 45 minute commute.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM

24 posts, read 65,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
NIMBY, NIMBY, NIMBY! Perhaps the people of Prince George's County have more in common with the people of Fairfax County than they thought? From all of my travels in and around Prince George's County I think you should all be welcoming the tax revenues and tourism dollars that could be gained from permitting slot machines here. Right now I drive all the way out to Charles Town, WV on occasion to gamble, but I'd go to Prince George's County instead and pump some of my VA dollars into MD's coffers.

It's funny. "We don't want slots." Well then I hope you want massive tax increases because your county needs a LOT of $$$ to help revamp itself!

PG residents are scared the slots will attract alot "riffraff" to the harbor. They don't want the N.H. turn into another bouelvard(largo mall). That is another reason residents also don't want metro access into N.H.

I'm not saying people who gamble are "riffraff". They just feel slots will attract alot crime(murders) to the N.H.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
What's the allure of the National Harbor? I get that it's scenic and relaxing. I visited there a year ago, and there are just hotels (Gaylord Resort), and a bunch of restaurants. I didn't see anywhere to swim and there wasn't really much in terms of entertainment.

I think they were setting up some sort of circus, but other than that, what is the purpose or end vision of the area? I was only there on business, which was pretty nice. Other than that, I will probably never go back, unless there are things to do.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What's the allure of the National Harbor? I get that it's scenic and relaxing. I visited there a year ago, and there are just hotels (Gaylord Resort), and a bunch of restaurants. I didn't see anywhere to swim and there wasn't really much in terms of entertainment.

I think they were setting up some sort of circus, but other than that, what is the purpose or end vision of the area? I was only there on business, which was pretty nice. Other than that, I will probably never go back, unless there are things to do.

U need to find the bait (male/ female 1-2 night stand) then go back....

Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
U need to find the bait (male/ female 1-2 night stand) then go back....
Good point, great place to hook-up on a business trip...and if that doesn't work, I could always swing over to the circus and pick-up some women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland