Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times

Advertisements

Well National Harbour is still developing. It will probably take another 5-7 years before everything is complete. As it stands now it is nice. They offer restaruants, hotels, and different activites on the harbour. Check the national harbour's website for different events. I think the metro will help to expose and alleviate traffic when future developments. Trust and believe that any government that spends a 4 billion dollars on a development will make sure that mess will stay out. I don't think Caps Blvd is a bad place, it's just the people and there ridiculousness make it look bad. I don't think the metro being there makes any difference really. The metro spots in P.G. weren't known to be super safe areas in the first place. So I don't buy the argument that the metro will bring crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What's the allure of the National Harbor? I get that it's scenic and relaxing. I visited there a year ago, and there are just hotels (Gaylord Resort), and a bunch of restaurants. I didn't see anywhere to swim and there wasn't really much in terms of entertainment.

I think they were setting up some sort of circus, but other than that, what is the purpose or end vision of the area? I was only there on business, which was pretty nice. Other than that, I will probably never go back, unless there are things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times
I live near it so I think I can answer what there is to do there. Comedy shows (Bill Bellamy popped up at one of the venues and gave a show not long ago), there is an outdoor movie night weekly that is mainly family oriented movies at sundown that many of my mom friends take their families to, fireworks displays weekly, live bands performing, outdoor concerts, rental of jetskis, boat rides, there is a farmers market weekly, there are tons of festivals this summer (Food and Wine Festival The Food & Wine Festival at National Harbor, Beer Bourbon & BBQ Festival Show Info | Beer and Bourbon Festival ) I walk the Harbor trail on weekends over to or across the Wilson Bridge...I highly recommend it as a nice scenic walk/jog or bike ride. There is a nice day spa at the Gaylord. Frankly I am nearby and haven't been able to keep up with all the activities going on over there as much as I would like to but it is nice to have the option when I do have some spare time. When I do go it is always a nice diverse crowd with local people from all over the metro area (not just PG) and out of town visitors. It is so opposite of Blvd at Cap Center (which I do not enjoy going to...not my type of crowd)....nothing like that place at all. When I do go I feel like I am at a resort away from this area. I am on the nationalharbor.com mailing list so when there are events going on or new places opening up I get an email alert. There is way more there than last year so if someone hasn't been in a year or more that isn't a good point of reference.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM

499 posts, read 668,401 times
Considering its largest single private project that this area has ever seen at $4 Billion (yes larger than any in Fairfax or Montgomery), I'd say its been a god send.

I love the fact that you'll find retail there that you will not find anywhere else in the region (who else has a peeps and Erwin Pearl?)

Restaurants that you will not find anywhere else in the region, or country. That have come from NYC and New York.

Very much about Maryland pride, with Maryland flags and rooms.

Gaylord National is only 1 of 4 in the country. It could sit in Las Vegas and be one of the top 3.

Many Business left Alexandria, Va for National Harbor (you don't hear this much and how many times does that happen). And I'm not just talking about the retail, I'm talking office jobs.

Many of the hotels, businesses and retail have never been on the Maryland side before. I can't believe Montgomery doesn't have an Aloft or Westin.

Maryland National Capital regions first time share.

Cirque De Soleil is coming to the D.C. area again and for the second time in a row at National Harbor, if it wasn't for National Harbor, Maryland National Capital regions would be left out big. so much for Montgomery.

By the way does anybody else feel like Montgomery is falling behind and Prince Georges could pass it if it continues on course?

I like how its taking for Prince George's whats rightfully there's considering that they gave the vast majority of the land for D.C. anyways

The best way to describe National Harbor is that it's finally trying to Balance a region that has been for so long skewed to the west. D.C. cried and bitched about the "awakening sculpture" and National Children s Museum but doesn't ***** when Arlignton gets the Air force memorial or Iwo Jima and all the other monuments when its not part of D.C. I like how it's stealing business away from D.C. they've treated Maryland and Prince George's like **** for too long.

Prince George's County is really trying far more than any other county in Maryland!

Last edited by TheJetSet; 06-24-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,047 times
Just gonna put out there that it is realllllly difficult to make PG County look good when the people trying to argue the case are using terrible grammar, using only the Race Card as an argument, and saying things like:

"How`s that? Do so don`t like so. As much dislike for you. Memba that. Your a serious dummy that`s all and afraid of black people."

Do so don't like so? Memba that? Those are not words or sentences. Anyway, what PG COunty DOES have to offer, outside of a a terrible school system and a population that largely speaks nonsense like that above, is an amazingly rich history and many "hidden jewels" among what is, otherwise, yes, a filthy pile of McMansion and rundown rubbish.

It makes me sad, as someone very interested in historical preservation. It is hard, for example, to save many of the amazingly old cemeteries, battlegrounds, and historic homes, because they are in the middle of neighborhoods with at least 3 murders a week.

I love PGC....but I moved to Charles County for a reason. The attendance in any Town Hall or local town/county meeting is pathetic at best in PGC. The problem isn't race, or money...it is the fact that my generation and those younger than I are terribly disconnected, apathetic, have no community pride (and no... tagging "301", "SPC" or "PGC" on walls, metro buses, school desks and street signs doesn't count as PRIDE), and no sense of historical perspective.

It's not just here.......the whole country will go down the tubes soon enough with us at the reigns.
Every opportunity and bit of knowledge in the world at our fingertips, regardless of race....and we're using it to play Mafia Wars, make quizzes that entail questions such as "OMG are you like totally on Team Jacob or Team Edward?" on Facebook, worship CelebReality, emulate dipsh*ts like Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian, and watch YouTube feeds of dudes getting hit in the balls.

Watch the news, read a book, look at a MAP (ON PAPER!), go OUTSIDE, grab a compass and locate an old amazing forgotten piece of history, play at a park (not F on the benches or smoke crack), and, for the LOVE OF GOD, JUST PAY ATTENTION LONG ENOUGH TO GET THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH AND STOP MAKING OUR COUNTY A FREAKIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakismet View Post
Just gonna put out there that it is realllllly difficult to make PG County look good when the people trying to argue the case are using terrible grammar, using only the Race Card as an argument, and saying things like:

"How`s that? Do so don`t like so. As much dislike for you. Memba that. Your a serious dummy that`s all and afraid of black people."

Do so don't like so? Memba that? Those are not words or sentences. Anyway, what PG COunty DOES have to offer, outside of a a terrible school system and a population that largely speaks nonsense like that above, is an amazingly rich history and many "hidden jewels" among what is, otherwise, yes, a filthy pile of McMansion and rundown rubbish.

It makes me sad, as someone very interested in historical preservation. It is hard, for example, to save many of the amazingly old cemeteries, battlegrounds, and historic homes, because they are in the middle of neighborhoods with at least 3 murders a week.

I love PGC....but I moved to Charles County for a reason. The attendance in any Town Hall or local town/county meeting is pathetic at best in PGC. The problem isn't race, or money...it is the fact that my generation and those younger than I are terribly disconnected, apathetic, have no community pride (and no... tagging "301", "SPC" or "PGC" on walls, metro buses, school desks and street signs doesn't count as PRIDE), and no sense of historical perspective.

It's not just here.......the whole country will go down the tubes soon enough with us at the reigns.
Every opportunity and bit of knowledge in the world at our fingertips, regardless of race....and we're using it to play Mafia Wars, make quizzes that entail questions such as "OMG are you like totally on Team Jacob or Team Edward?" on Facebook, worship CelebReality, emulate dipsh*ts like Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian, and watch YouTube feeds of dudes getting hit in the balls.

Watch the news, read a book, look at a MAP (ON PAPER!), go OUTSIDE, grab a compass and locate an old amazing forgotten piece of history, play at a park (not F on the benches or smoke crack), and, for the LOVE OF GOD, JUST PAY ATTENTION LONG ENOUGH TO GET THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH AND STOP MAKING OUR COUNTY A FREAKIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

....you're an idot........back to the topic at hand

Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 AM

You know I kinda understand where your coming from. I will say the race card is played alot because often times things do happen, because this is a majority black county. Look at it this way, not only is america really failing in the educational institution, but it seems as us African Americans don't place a high value of importance on education like those who fought for the opportunity to learn. Look at how the DC region has developed, up until 5-10 years ago, PG has been neglected because of what? Our race. To me PG has a lot of social issues, that can only be addressed by the families in the community. Until we can straighten that out P.G. will always be a red-headed step child. I think the county has as much to offer as the other counties in this area, but until you fix the family, then you could address the schools. Once the schools improve, then perspective developers will want to invest into the county like Fairfax, Arlington and Montgomery Counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakismet View Post

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:48 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
In May (2010) three friends and I went to NH. It was the weekend of the Fine Arts Festival, with artisans and their booths all over. We had a great time.

As to 'what does NH have to offer?' My answer depends on what's meant by the question. I don't go out a lot, but to me it's no different from any other place you might go on the weekend to get out for the afternoon and shop and eat. What do any of them 'offer?' Just like I'd go to Baltimore's IH, downtown Annapolis, or Rehoboth Beach....they all have shopping, food and scenery.

IF the occasion arises, hosting visiting friends for example, or a friend and I decide to 'do something' one afternoon I would indeed suggest the National Harbor. I had a great time there. So it gives me an additional place to choose from. I hope it has GREAT success. Lrd know PG county needs it.

As for the county, I moved here from Montgomery county because homes were cheaper. I don't regret that. BUT dealing with and constantly battling the stereotype is getting tiring. I will say it's an utter disgrace that PG hasn't been able to get more of all the jobs that have come to this region. Why should all the residents of PG have to leave the county -- and go to Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville and Gaithersburg -- to work. The commute time alone is a pain. The Washington Post had an article about how all the jobs are in Montgomery and Fairfax, and about how the EAST to WEST commute is SOOO much heavier than West to East, directly because of all the PG people who have to drive west to work, and no one is coming into PG to work. WHY are all the decent jobs everywhere BUT PG county? Why is PG STILL battling a stereotype. WHY can't PG seem to get its act together? Is it lack of responsibility of residents? Is it bad leadership? The fault of residents who won't elect good- or kick out- bad leaders? I'll just leave those as questions.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Your questions are good ones. They actually need to be a concern for the residents. Looks like to me you read the same article I read. I believe that the article pointed out race as being a factor for job placement. I would love to believe otherwise, but I really do believe it's race. Think about it this way, P.G. is a pretty large county, half of the County is not fully developed, not like Fairfax, Arlington or Alexandria. It has a lot to offer. The only downside to the county is the crime and the schools outside of that P.G. is just as nice as the other counties.

It's failures have come from not selecting good leadership and the citizens of the county. I say the citizens because I don't think enough people set high expectations. I really do hate to make this a black and white issue, but look at the difference between the Majority white counties (Montgomery, Fairfax, Arlington) and P.G (Majority Black) They expect and demand good schools low taxes and safe communties. P.G. or the Black folks don't demand the same. P.G. depends heavily on the property taxes to pay the bills. There high because we pay for a lot of social programs. That is why they are so high. Well that is what I would like to believe. Somebody who has more incite could correct me. Just saying that P.G. is the wealthiest Black county shouldn't be the only thing that makes this county great. I believe in order to make things great in P.G. we've got to set our expectation higher, plus elect individuals who has a solid realistic plan to make things happen. I hate that P.G. plays second fiddle to the rest of the areas in the region, because we have so much more to offer. National Harbor is a start in the right direction, and I believe the county is just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
In May (2010) three friends and I went to NH. It was the weekend of the Fine Arts Festival, with artisans and their booths all over. We had a great time.

As to 'what does NH have to offer?' My answer depends on what's meant by the question. I don't go out a lot, but to me it's no different from any other place you might go on the weekend to get out for the afternoon and shop and eat. What do any of them 'offer?' Just like I'd go to Baltimore's IH, downtown Annapolis, or Rehoboth Beach....they all have shopping, food and scenery.

IF the occasion arises, hosting visiting friends for example, or a friend and I decide to 'do something' one afternoon I would indeed suggest the National Harbor. I had a great time there. So it gives me an additional place to choose from. I hope it has GREAT success. Lrd know PG county needs it.

As for the county, I moved here from Montgomery county because homes were cheaper. I don't regret that. BUT dealing with and constantly battling the stereotype is getting tiring. I will say it's an utter disgrace that PG hasn't been able to get more of all the jobs that have come to this region. Why should all the residents of PG have to leave the county -- and go to Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville and Gaithersburg -- to work. The commute time alone is a pain. The Washington Post had an article about how all the jobs are in Montgomery and Fairfax, and about how the EAST to WEST commute is SOOO much heavier than West to East, directly because of all the PG people who have to drive west to work, and no one is coming into PG to work. WHY are all the decent jobs everywhere BUT PG county? Why is PG STILL battling a stereotype. WHY can't PG seem to get its act together? Is it lack of responsibility of residents? Is it bad leadership? The fault of residents who won't elect good- or kick out- bad leaders? I'll just leave those as questions.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Montgomery and Fairfax are bursting at the seams, so crowded travel even outside the Beltway is a NIGHTMARE. Ask any co-worker who commutes in on Routes 66 or 270 everyday.

YET even still the only places companies SQUEEEEZE into are those areas. PG is JUST AS CLOSE to DC as they are. Yet we can't get the jobs and the companies to come here.

I only say this in certain company but I believe it's racial too. MOST of PG isn't crowded. MOST of PG isn't crime ridden, MOST of PG isn't poverty stricken. Heck PG isn't even close to 90 (or even 80) percent black, yet for some reason it can't get the jobs and development Montgomery and Fairfax get.

I just checked an online source. It said PG is ONLY 65 percent black. It's 30 percent WHITE! Yet, the way people talk about it you'd think the county was 98 percent black or something.

I'm just tired of the racial issue affecting the county's economy.

I don't know whether it's a case of 'deserving the leaders we elect or what. I've only lived in PG 7 years (7 in downtown Silver Spring before that), but this sicheeation we have here is ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:12 AM

499 posts, read 668,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Your questions are good ones. They actually need to be a concern for the residents. Looks like to me you read the same article I read. I believe that the article pointed out race as being a factor for job placement. I would love to believe otherwise, but I really do believe it's race. Think about it this way, P.G. is a pretty large county, half of the County is not fully developed, not like Fairfax, Arlington or Alexandria. It has a lot to offer. The only downside to the county is the crime and the schools outside of that P.G. is just as nice as the other counties.

It's failures have come from not selecting good leadership and the citizens of the county. I say the citizens because I don't think enough people set high expectations. I really do hate to make this a black and white issue, but look at the difference between the Majority white counties (Montgomery, Fairfax, Arlington) and P.G (Majority Black) They expect and demand good schools low taxes and safe communties. P.G. or the Black folks don't demand the same. P.G. depends heavily on the property taxes to pay the bills. There high because we pay for a lot of social programs. That is why they are so high. Well that is what I would like to believe. Somebody who has more incite could correct me. Just saying that P.G. is the wealthiest Black county shouldn't be the only thing that makes this county great. I believe in order to make things great in P.G. we've got to set our expectation higher, plus elect individuals who has a solid realistic plan to make things happen. I hate that P.G. plays second fiddle to the rest of the areas in the region, because we have so much more to offer. National Harbor is a start in the right direction, and I believe the county is just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I often wonder why people blame Prince George's and it's residents, event he government to an extent for all of it's misfortune.

Do some research and dig a little deeper and you'll realize that you've been misplacing the blame.

I've been thinking about the issues for a while and it all leads me back to racism/discrimination.

#1 issue, jobs. You talk about why there are no jobs in Prince George's. a few points. 1) Do you understand there is only so much a county can do to lure jobs? The power lies at the state level. They control the corporate income tax rate and slew of other regulatory rules. Blame O'malley and his minions for raising the corporate income tax and sales tax. it has made it much harder for the state and counties to lure large companies into Maryland especially when it's 8.25% in MD vs. 6.0% in Va across the river.

So you say the federal government doesn't pay taxes, even property taxes Ok, well the advantage should be Prince George's right, with the drastically lower office rents?

Well than why does the federal government lease more class A office space in Falls church, Va than all of Prince George's? Where it is far more expensive to lease? They sure do like wasting tax payer money and you sure do like paying them to do that.

Time and time again the governments have put an effort towards revitalizing distressed areas in D.C. from parts of NW back in the day to the SW waterfront and NOMa corridor. So the "it's too dangerous" excuse isn't going" to play here, they went as far as building a new Metro station at NOMA so obviously if they want to change an area they will.

Well, you say the schools suck in Prince George's that's why no employer wants to be here. Good schools haven't worked for Montgomery County, the last large employer they could lure was the 80's or 70's and that was when they were building office buildings at fast pace and absorbing it too, today they build a little and can't find anybody to lease it and the vacancy skyrockets, just look at the stats. There is nothing that proves good schools = large companies moving in. Out the 5 large employers that moved to the area in last three years (Hilton, Northrup Gruman, Volkswagen, CSC, SAIC) and more I'm sure, ZERO have moved to Montgomery County with all their good schools, they also lost NPR. In fact Montgomery has lost many large employers that leased huge chunks of space, Chevy Chase Bank, Costar (went to D.C. for crying out loud), Hanger orthopedic are all gone. You know what the scariest part is? They all vacated downtown Bethesda, the crown jewel urban business district in Montgomery County and quite frankly all of Maryland. What does that tell you? Now Montgomery county is run by buffoons to be sure but the state gov has made this a lot worst, Maryland has earned it's name as a being bad for business.

Now let's look at the accomplishments of Prince George's county, we often bash it but if you look at the positive you will realize how important they really are.

I just want to take a moment to say that I don't think people truly, really realize how significant National Harbor, if that was the only project going on in the county then that would even be more than enough but it's not. While I will refrain from giving Prince George's county government all the credit, I have to say at least say that county executive Jack Johnson and his gang at least did not get in the way. The best you can do as a government official is support this kind of change. I have read how politicians like Marc Elrich on Montgomery county council furiously opposes development and jobs moving into the county as he did with NPR.

Do you understand that the first Wegmans in the Maryland National capital region will be in Prince George's (that's right Montgomery doesn't have one) at Woodmore Town Centre?

The development around Prince George's Plaza in Hyattsville will probably mean the next Silver Spring?

Many hotels and retail at National Harbor are the first on the Maryland side and the region (not even Fairfax or Montgomery has them).

The Homicide rate has dropped significantly.

The major piece left is office jobs and that in large part is because the federal government and D.C. is bias.

Which is why it pisses me off the way D.C. was complaining about the awakening sculpture being taken as well as the National Childrens Nuseum and Nationals gala to National Harbor. I often wonder why they didn't complain when the iwo jima memorial was built in Arlington or air force memorial was built there too. That's lost tourist revenue for D.C. Why not in Prince George's at Andrews Air force base? Why does Arlington and nova get all these things handed to them when they're under virginia control and all the tax benefits go to them?

Count your blessing people and look at the glass half full, Prince George's has tried very hard in the last few years. If it wasn't for Prince George's the Maryland side would have not as much to show for itself.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 07-03-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland