Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times

Advertisements

Even if it were possible due to logistics, where would you place the actual stops? MacArthur Boulevard and the Glen Echo area in general don't really offer the density that would make Metro all that convenient. There isn't much of a commercial base along the path you suggested, nor is there much housing aside from large single family homes. Such a line would be an absolute boondoggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM

28 posts, read 118,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Even if it were possible due to logistics, where would you place the actual stops? MacArthur Boulevard and the Glen Echo area in general don't really offer the density that would make Metro all that convenient. There isn't much of a commercial base along the path you suggested, nor is there much housing aside from large single family homes. Such a line would be an absolute boondoggle.
The only reason I bring it up is:
1) A trolley use to belong on that path. Yes, I know, it use to bring dc residents to the Glen Echo Park
2) I got curious when the path, to this day, is mostly uninterrupted all the way to the 495 to about georgetown university.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojopuppyfish View Post
I don't care about the history.....I'm talking about now.......is my idea idioic or, with proper funding, would the line be heavily used?
You're not crazy. The concept of a Gtown metro stop has been debated for years and WMATA thinks it's necessary for a long-term congestion abatement plan. This is reaching back a few years, but in 2008 WMATA presented the board with an analysis of ridership growth trends over the next 25 years. They made a number of recommendations for rapid transit and light rail that David Alpert of Greater Greater Washington adopted into the traditional metro maps that we're used to.

Now, I don't think the metro will look anything like this in 20 years; it's just not enough time for such an ambitious expansion. But I think we'll see bits and pieces. That Georgetown stop will cost a boatload though.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
You're not crazy. The concept of a Gtown metro stop has been debated for years and WMATA thinks it's necessary for a long-term congestion abatement plan. This is reaching back a few years, but in 2008 WMATA presented the board with an analysis of ridership growth trends over the next 25 years. They made a number of recommendations for rapid transit and light rail that David Alpert of Greater Greater Washington adopted into the traditional metro maps that we're used to.

Now, I don't think the metro will look anything like this in 20 years; it's just not enough time for such an ambitious expansion. But I think we'll see bits and pieces. That Georgetown stop will cost a boatload though.

That new map is a step in the right direction. It was a mistake to build Metro with it's "hub and spoke" design, but like the problems with the paper farecards that's water under the bridge. Subway stops are desperately needed in Glover Park & Georgetown, Palisades. The typical progress of the 30 bus from Wisconsin down across M Street etc. is basically like hard to digest food trying to pass through the intestine, very slowly. Not efficient.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Do you think something like this will happen...... I do see most of this being built or something like this being built over the next 30 years.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

41 posts, read 56,022 times
It would have to be a light rail line....with its own right away

Some concept though, at the lower end of the trail the trains can go underground with an underground light rail stop at Wisconsin and M street, the station entrance can be built inside of the Georgetown Park mall on the lower level and another stop at Foggy Bottom station connecting to Orange/Blue/Silver lines.

Stations along the line should be (from south to north):

-Foggy Bottom-GWU (Underground)
-Wisconsin Ave and M street (Underground)
-Georgetown University
-Foxhall*
-Palisades*
-Sibley Memorial
-West Bethesda
-Glen Echo/Cabin John Parkway

I'm kinda skeptical about this line though, I think don't the residents in these area is going to want a rail line in their virtually crime free neighborhoods.

Last edited by Chester Bennington; 10-06-2010 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
If they extend metro systems all the way up to Baltimore, and as far as Dulles airport, there wouldn't be a need for cars.I don't see the second map happening though, but there definitely needs to be stops at Dulles, BWI, Annapolis (it's a 45 minute drive away from DC, kinda ridiculous they never thought about extending the system out there), Georgetown. Probably Baltimore.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Bennington View Post
It would have to be a light rail line..
Light green is commuter.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
I can tell you they need to extend the redline past shady grove to at least germantown.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM

41 posts, read 56,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Light green is commuter.
Oh yea I know that I was revering to the OP's map. Theres no way a heavy rail line could fit along that trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC