Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM

86 posts, read 241,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour-guy View Post
You sound like the type of black girl I'm into. Too bad I'm black too! But basically I share your view point. I don't spend a lot of time participating in "black activities" either nore am I big on black culture in general. I have friends of every race and I'm open to dating all races provided they are attractive.

So I see where you are coming from. I think you are actually in the best city for Inter-racial dating outside of NYC. I see a lot of black women with white guys and non-black guys in this area (In fact I saw it today at the Columbia Heights Metro)

If you want to appeal to non-black guys.. you just have to go where they are and be interested in the things they are interested in. It doesn't hurt to strike up casual conversations with strangers either. Don't always wait for the men to do it.
wow. just wow. i don't know if i should hit you or hug you man. you are a black man who somehow has alienated yourself from being included in "black activities" and "black culture". not sure how i feel about that statement. blacks aren't monolithic. i highly doubt that president obama and lil wayne share the same social or cultural views. if you want to date outside of your race, cool. just don't put down what you consider to be typical/average "black stuff" in order to justify your reasons for dating outside your race...comes off as super lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM

47 posts, read 99,657 times
I don't have a problem with "black activities" I just don't limit myself to them. To be un-PC for a bit, the chitlin-circuit plays, the same events and activities put on by the same black organizations that cater to a certain demographic (this can go a variety of ways) and so on. Yes, I'm involved in some black organizations and I go to Howard (grad student) but I grew up attending a white church, lived in a predominately white area and attended white schools. I like my activities like my friends - eclectic. I refuse to limit my dating options by race alone.

I am not opposed to dating black men, but I haven't met any black men that were worth my time. Yes, some were good-looking, successful and seemed okay at first. But the clock struck 12 and their representative was put away and the real individual came out and said hello. I am ready to try something different.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM

18 posts, read 29,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
wow. just wow. i don't know if i should hit you or hug you man. you are a black man who somehow has alienated yourself from being included in "black activities" and "black culture". not sure how i feel about that statement. blacks aren't monolithic. i highly doubt that president obama and lil wayne share the same social or cultural views. if you want to date outside of your race, cool. just don't put down what you consider to be typical/average "black stuff" in order to justify your reasons for dating outside your race...comes off as super lame.
Well when you put it that way.... But thats not really how I meant it. I'm not trying to justify dating outside my race. I don't think dating outside your race needs justification in the first place.

The bottomline is I'm not into most stereotypically "black" things. Not because they are "black" but because I'm just not into them. You can say the same thing about Asian culture. You can say I "alienate" myself from that as well. But the reality is.. I'm just living my life and doing what I enjoy. And what I happen to enjoy is often not stereotypically "black". Thats all I'm saying.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,251 times
I guess I lose, I am into black culture..
I went to an HBCU, I pledged a black frat, I prefer and attend a black church (Alfred Street Baptist Church in Arlington, in case anyone is interested). The majority of my friends are black and I prefer black (upscale) clubs and venues.

I do sense some animosity towards B/M from the OP though. Date whoever you want but don't put down on an entire group cause you don't like.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,251 times
What are black things?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM

692 posts, read 1,731,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
What are black things?
That's the question I planned to ask.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM

56 posts, read 121,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydlite View Post
I don't have a problem with "black activities" I just don't limit myself to them. To be un-PC for a bit, the chitlin-circuit plays, the same events and activities put on by the same black organizations that cater to a certain demographic (this can go a variety of ways) and so on. Yes, I'm involved in some black organizations and I go to Howard (grad student) but I grew up attending a white church, lived in a predominately white area and attended white schools. I like my activities like my friends - eclectic. I refuse to limit my dating options by race alone.

I am not opposed to dating black men, but I haven't met any black men that were worth my time. Yes, some were good-looking, successful and seemed okay at first. But the clock struck 12 and their representative was put away and the real individual came out and said hello. I am ready to try something different.
Since we are being un-PC.

Do you feel that in some hypothetical world. If any of the same black guys you dated where white. That you would have tried harder to make the relationship work?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 AM

Wow. Animosity? Okay, because a black woman decides to expand her options to include men that aren't black she has a problem? I know where this going. Some black men feel the need to put down black women who decide to do something a little different. I pledged a black sorority in college and am currently a member of a black church. Just because I refuse to limit my options doesn't mean there's something wrong with me. I've met a number of professional black men in the area that weren't my cup of tea because they had kids, lied or felt like such a hot commodity that they didn't feel the need to be true one black woman. Now the ones I liked were simply not interested or we became friends and nothing more. Regardless of your attempt to put me down, I will date outside my race. If you have a problem with that, too bad.

By black activities, I mean events and things that cater to black people, whether it be movies, restaurants, certain events, etc. Now I do enjoy the upscale things put on by certain black orgs., but they tend to be viewed as elitist and exclusive.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClyde View Post
Since we are being un-PC.

Do you feel that in some hypothetical world. If any of the same black guys you dated where white. That you would have tried harder to make the relationship work?
No, I wouldn't. I got tired of the b.s. and things were ended. Simple as that.

I briefly dated a white dude and that ended. He recently got back in touch with me, but I ignored him b/c he was just a loser.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM

56 posts, read 121,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydlite View Post
No, I wouldn't. I got tired of the b.s. and things were ended. Simple as that.

I briefly dated a white dude and that ended. He recently got back in touch with me, but I ignored him b/c he was just a loser.
To be honest with you. If you said that was the case. I wouldn't have cared. I believe that some black women just prefer to date out.

But because of social pressures (family, church, chitling theater circuit). They have to say they were forced or their aren't any black men suitable for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC