Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 PM

9 posts, read 26,745 times

Advertisements

I am curious how many transplants in D.C. think the cost of living is worth it. I actually posted a question about the legal market in the D.C./Virginia/Maryland area a few months ago and got a lot of helpful answers. Most of all people suggested that I check the city out for myself. Well, I had one of those "what the heck am I doing with my life" moments last week. On a Wednesday morning, I called in sick to the Cleveland law firm I work at and just drove to D.C. to spend a few days there without knowing a soul. I absolutely loved it. I've been to San Francisco, New York, Chicago, etc. and have never left a city before with a feeling of "god, I don't want to leave." This brings me to my question.... is it worth it to you to live in D.C. with the cost of living? At 36 years old, I am considering setting aside some money, resigning from my job, turning my back on the law firm life and try to find a job in D.C. in the public sector or with a non-profit. (I know it's a bad job market and this sounds crazy.) Of course, this will probably require a very large pay cut. So, as far as the things to do around town, the people and the opportunities for career advancement, do many people think the price to live in D.C. is worth it? It seems like I have a big decision to make over the next year so it would be nice to hear if anyone else out there ever took the leap and was either glad or unhappy that they did it. If anyone reading this is from Ohio, I'd be particularly interested in your experience. Thanks to anyone who offers any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I think for the most part it's worth it. It should be noted that the only really high cost of living expense here is rent. Things like food and gas aren't significantly higher than other parts of the country; Alaska and Hawaii are far worse.

IMO there definitely are more opportunities for advancement here. I'd have a job lined up before moving though.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 18,641 times
I cannot offer any advice....as I am going through the same thing of wanting to move and get a fresh start, but not sure where. However, I think it is great that you are willing to take the chance! I dig your guts!Good Luck!!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Well I was born and raised here and lived here free of charge from birth up until college.

Now I am on my own and must admit I am attracted to places where the cost of living is lower and the weather is nice all year long.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
DC is a great place for lawyers who do not want to practice law in a traditional private practice law firm. There are literally thousands of jobs for lawyers in federal agencies, on capitol hill, at national associations, and in-house at one of the many corporations in the metro area. The only thing I would advise is that you spend some time job searching and networking (to the best extent you can from Cleveland) and try to find a job opportunity before you quit your firm and move to DC. As the old adage goes, it is always easiest to find a job when you have a job. Good luck. I hope you are able to find a fulfilling job in DC. If you can, I think that makes the city's high cost worth it for you!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
I live in Fairfax, work from home and have worked in DC. Regarding your question whether or not living here is worth it, I ask myself the same question everyday.

I moved here three years ago from Denver to be closer to my family. Although I don't hate it here, it has been a big adjustment to my lifestyle.

My pet peeve more than anything is the traffic, which is constant and brutal. It both physically and sometimes psychologically prevents me from being as social and active as I used to be in other cities. A lot of that has to do with having to utilize Rt 66.

If I end up staying here I may actually move closer to the city. Living in NOVA and trying to access DC sometimes can be maddening.

I think DC can be a cool place to live if you can make some good money and live very close to where you work. It is an interesting city.

I don't think DC is such a great place if you struggle to pay your bills and are forced to spend 2-3 hours a day in traffic.

I don't equate money with happiness but DC is one of those towns where a sufficient amount of money can make a difference in your overall enjoyment of the city.

Most people are here for their careers and many people make more money here than they could elsewhere. There are a vast number of traditional and unique opportunities here.

The way I usually describe the area to most people is that the pluses and minuses are more pronounced here. A big upside with a potentially big downside.

If all things were equal and I had the chance to make the same money in a city with less traffic, lower housing costs, and a little better climate, I would move pretty quickly.

If I end up staying, it won't be the worst thing in the world either.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Now I am on my own and must admit I am attracted to places where the cost of living is lower and the weather is nice all year long.
I get the feeling you'll move to say, Charlotte, post on City-Data about it and then have some poster named "CHARLOTTE HORNET" tell you all about how transplants like you just don't understand the city.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Honestly, it really depends on your personal situation and desires. For me, it's definitely worth it. I love my job (and have plenty of attractive opportunities in the area as my career advances), like living in a walkable urban neighborhood (and don't care that it means I'll have less space), have a good number of friends in the area, and have plenty of money for my purposes. I'm able to pay my bills, save a bit, get to travel, and still have a little leftover at the end of the month so I don't feel like I'm living paycheck-to-paycheck. In general, I find the city to be a good size (large enough to find stuff to do, but easily manageable), like the architecture, energy, and have met some great people (they do exist).

But again, this is just me. To have a place I like and keep my budget, I do have a roommate. Fortunately we've been getting along great for more than 3 years, so it's not a burden at all. I also don't have a family to take care of or have the desire to buy a house, which also helps. Since I live close to work I hardly drive my car, so traffic is barely an issue. As far as weather, I don't think it's so bad. I like the seasons, and feel like the good days outweigh the bad, so it's ok for me. This all isn't necessarily true for everyone, so in terms of figuring out if it's "worth" it, you should probably figure out your desired lifestyle, the cost of said lifestyle in this area (mainly rent and commute time), and then compare it to a potential salary.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I've been to a lot of cities. If I left the DC area, it would only be to go live in the NYC area. There's no other U.S. city better than DC, IMO.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I get the feeling you'll move to say, Charlotte, post on City-Data about it and then have some poster named "CHARLOTTE HORNET" tell you all about how transplants like you just don't understand the city.

No. It is going to have to be further south than Charlotte.

When most people here are shoveling snow or walking in sleet during 30 mph near zero wind chills I will be outside wearing shorts and will make sure to visit an outdoor basketball court 7 days week.

You forget, I can come and go as I wish and will always have a place to stay around here free of charge for as long as I want.

It is one of the advantages of being a native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC