Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You believe that because in your mind the city is supposed to be gritty and struggling and tough and the suburbs is where all those creature comforts reside. That's how it was for a brief period in parts of the District (about 1960 - 2000) so that's what a lot of people have locked in as "the real DC" and how it should remain. But cities are dynamic places with immigrants from all over the world. For most of its history, and that of any major American city, the retail, entertainment, jobs, and middle class were inside the city - with wealthier people living in whatever their era's version of the condo was - and there was not this "keepin it real" backlash that's so pervasive now as the city returns to that balance.

All you're seeing is the rebirth of the American city. For every Target that opens (and, I might point out, plenty of natives shop there who used to have to drive out to the burbs on the weekends for their shopping) a number of local joints open.

I agree with the above - it's about the balance. If you can't do basic shopping in the city, then you don't have a city. Just look at rust belt cities. I'm always surprised when I pay attention how many national chains are tucked away in neighborhoods that are dominated by local chains or independents and retain a lot of character. I might also point out that those national chains, especially fast food joints, are predominantly supported by locals.
You seem to think you know a lot about this city's past.

Nothing wrong with that. A lot of people know a lot of different things.

You never did tell me where you are originally from.

Where are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know why it matters so much where people are born and raised (I think you'll find that fade after you live enough places), but his assessment isn't really accurate. Much of the influx of people from the suburbs or from other parts of the country is from middle class people raised in suburbia, recognizing its failure as a development pattern, and now choosing a different development pattern that's not familiar to their background.
I know all of that.

But what about the recent "urban" trendiness that many people seem to have?

The obsession with being "urban"

I myself could care less about being "urban"

DC/MD/VA are all equal as far as I am concerned.

One again I ask.

Where are you from?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Let me quote one of my friends who is a realtor and self admitted "a**hole"

He is a local. Born and raised here. Big ego too.
You put too much weight on being a 'local' or 'native'. I was born here as well right off Georgia Ave, but I love what it is today and what it is becoming much better than what it used to be. I love the fact that there are so many transplants here now. If they were not here and this was still like the 80s, this place would be boring. They bring their own culture and mix with ours which is what makes it such a great cosmopolitan city.

I don't think anyone moving here from a different area is trying to 'hide' from anything either or claim to be pioneers of anything. People want the great quality of life that this city offers which is reflected in the high real estate prices. It's no secret

Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
I know all of that.

But what about the recent "urban" trendiness that many people seem to have?

The obsession with being "urban"

I myself could care less about being "urban"

DC/MD/VA are all equal as far as I am concerned.

One again I ask.

Where are you from?
Once again I ask why you are so obsessed about where people are from. I'm not telling you because you're only asking so you can put me in a box of being worthy or not of being able to say I "know" this area. Again, my roots run deep in this area. Let it go.

Perhaps you could define "urban". Are you talking the hip hop / street cred urban or just the fact that people want to live in cities? I don't know much about the former. A lot of unjustified pretense if you ask me.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
You put too much weight on being a 'local' or 'native'. I was born here as well right off Georgia Ave, but I love what it is today and what it is becoming much better than what it used to be. I love the fact that there are so many transplants here now. If they were not here and this was still like the 80s, this place would be boring. They bring their own culture and mix with ours which is what makes it such a great cosmopolitan city.

I don't think anyone moving here from a different area is trying to 'hide' from anything either or claim to be pioneers of anything. People want the great quality of life that this city offers which is reflected in the high real estate prices. It's no secret
LMAO!!!!!

What culture did they bring with them?
Nasal voices?
Flip flops?
Bands with beards?

Lots of people who relocate here seem to think THERE WAS NOTHING HERE BEFORE THE YEAR 2000

I disagree with that.

I know a few transplants who were living here before 2000 who also would disagree with that as well.

You think the 80s were boring?

Are you even old enough to remember the 80s?

A lot of what is going on right now both fashion wise and music wise is heavily inspired by the 80s.

In fact I could even prove to you a lot of what is going on right now in fashion and music is outright theft.

"Take off those skinny jeans and multi-colored sneakers kid, its 2011 not 1987!!!!!"

Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Once again I ask why you are so obsessed about where people are from. I'm not telling you because you're only asking so you can put me in a box of being worthy or not of being able to say I "know" this area. Again, my roots run deep in this area. Let it go.

Perhaps you could define "urban". Are you talking the hip hop / street cred urban or just the fact that people want to live in cities? I don't know much about the former. A lot of unjustified pretense if you ask me.
I think YOU know exactly what I am talking about

You are afraid of me putting you in a box?

LMAO!!!!!

I am not obsessed.

I just asked you a question and for some reason you do not want to answer it.

That is fine. I ask people on the streets all the time where they are from and I am used to people dodging the question and giving me 4 or 5 different answers when in reality such a question should only have 1 answer.

Some people are way too obsessed with being "urban"

They do not want to admit that they might not be what they think they are

DC natives (of all races) can see right through all of that B S

Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 24,299 times
The areas with local shops, restaurants, and bars in walking distance are worth the price. All other areas just aren't.

I agree that the areas building Targets, Best Buys, etc. aren't building true value. That's the southern city model, not a global city model. Next thing you know, we'll see a Publix pop up in the city.

The best thing going in D.C. right now is the restaurant scene. There is good food pretty much everywhere. Put me near restaurants and beer and I'll pay for it. Otherwise, these rents and home prices are absurd. $400k+ to live in a condo in a suburb? Madness.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
Quote:
LMAO!!!!!

What culture did they bring with them?
Nasal voices?
Flip flops?
Bands with beards?

Lots of people who relocate here seem to think THERE WAS NOTHING HERE BEFORE THE YEAR 2000

I disagree with that.

I know a few transplants who were living here before 2000 who also would disagree with that as well.

You think the 80s were boring?

Are you even old enough to remember the 80s?

A lot of what is going on right now both fashion wise and music wise is heavily inspired by the 80s.

In fact I could even prove to you a lot of what is going on right now in fashion and music is outright theft.

"Take off those skinny jeans and multi-colored sneakers kid, its 2011 not 1987!!!!!"
c'mon bruh... Have you ever taken a stroll down places like U Street? The plethora of international foods available is ridiculous. Ethiopian restaurants, jamaican restaurants, salvadoran, peruvian, nandos from south africa, etc. They're everywhere. DC had culture before, but transplants from different states and countries have added to it as well. Look at what downtown Silver Spring is today, once Discovery came and settled down there, development just exploded.

Step off the escalator in Columbia Heights today and you'll have possibly met someone from Brasil, Vietnam, Montana, Iowa, or any other random place you can think of all before you've walked one block. You will be hardpressed to find that ANYWHERE outside of a city like NYC or SF. That same place back in the 80s? crack & hos.

My parents & I remember the 80s very vividly, DC was a nice place, but the crack epidemic and the crime it brought crippled many parts of the city badly. The public school system turned to complete ****. You cannot deny that. Logan Circle? Columbia Heights? crackhouses and bordellos. People couldn't run fast enough to the outer suburbs during that time period.

There's nothing funny going on with fashion. Nobody's 'stolen' anything. It's just the past's influence that is always prevalent. It's common knowledge that fashion always repeats itself after a period of time

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow View Post
The areas with local shops, restaurants, and bars in walking distance are worth the price. All other areas just aren't.

I agree that the areas building Targets, Best Buys, etc. aren't building true value. That's the southern city model, not a global city model. Next thing you know, we'll see a Publix pop up in the city.

Bring them all.

Lets build a huge SAMS CLUB right smack down in the middle of downtown DC.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
c'mon bruh... Have you ever taken a stroll down places like U Street? The plethora of international foods available is ridiculous. Ethiopian restaurants, jamaican restaurants, salvadoran, peruvian, nandos from south africa, etc. They're everywhere. DC had culture before, but transplants from different states and countries have added to it as well. Look at what downtown Silver Spring is today, once Discovery came and settled down there, development just exploded.

Step off the escalator in Columbia Heights today and you'll have possibly met someone from Brasil, Vietnam, Montana, Iowa, or any other random place you can think of all before you've walked one block. You will be hardpressed to find that ANYWHERE outside of a city like NYC or SF.
Believe it or not all of that existed in DC before the year 2000.

Hard to believe I know. But it did. Trust me. I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC